how would i go about figuring out what angle i need to cut my neck pocket at for my build? i tried searching for a basic overview of how to figure it out, but failed. the body is in pieces right now. i assume it matters on the type of bridge im using and whatnot. im thinking of doing a TOM bridge on a sort of tele/LP morphed body, with no arch top(as of right now). havnt set my scale length yet but im not sure if that matters. is there a formula or is it kinda a set number? i would be devistated if my action was f-ed up because of that.
if it's a flat body guitar and your action is high you could always just rout your body for the bridge. if it's a bolt on you can shim the neck...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
i wana do it right the first time. this is for a build im doing from scratch, and im putting a nice top on it so i really dont want to route it at all and i want the neck to fit tight w/o having to add anything to it. i may be overthinking it a little bit, but then again i'd rather not under think any step of this.

that site you posted, rancidryan, was for figuring out fret/neck scale/length, which i did need, but im looking for the angle the neck has to be in comparison to the body. looking at my telecasters it looks like its 0 degrees, however they have your standard telecaster bridges, and i kinda wana do a TOM which i assume needs a angled neck?
I read somewhere it's normally about 2-3 degrees for neck angle.
A bit of trigonometry will give you the dimentions of your pocket, although every time i've tried to use maths in woodwork something's gone horribly wrong, it's always prefferable to do everything as marking out, i think.

I've been thinking, though - In a bolt on neck, is the neck pocket angled? if so, how do you do it, using a router? i could see how you'd do it with a chisel, but alot of the folk here use routers, how do yous do it?
i had that same thought, routing at an angle, my best answer was to angle the template a bit so it would do it on its own instead of changing router depth since thats teeing up this project for failure

edit: i was thilnking it was under 5 degrees, but even the difference between 2 and 2.5 is too much for me to gamble on(i think) since i really want this to turn out better than half ass
i do mine at 1.5 degrees. its a good median, its just enough without being too little, and its not even close to being too much. plus it leaves room for error.

what i do is made my neck pocket template, and glued a shim under it on the far end. I have an angle-meter (cool little metal square, you set it on a surface, press a button, and it tells you what the angle is) i sanded my shim until it was about 1.65 degrees, and i use that to route my neck angle. neck pocket is supposed to be 5/8'' deep but thats not enough for a set in neck. I do my neck angle 1'' deep, and make my neck ALOT thicker. the 1'' being the most shallow (towards the pickup)
i hear gibsons are like 4 degrees... i like the idea of a straight neck pocket and angle the heel of the neck instead... but thats just me
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
i hear gibsons are like 4 degrees... i like the idea of a straight neck pocket and angle the heel of the neck instead... but thats just me

That would probably be alot easier! it'd mean you'd get a cleaner joint aswell.
yeah i like that idea with the neck heel angle... gonna think it over a bit. so theres no set way to figure out how to get the correct angle to have good action(mathematically), TOM bridge, maybe a tele style bridge, definitely no tremolo bridge in it.