Page 1 of 2
I have my eye on the Little Giant by BH, but what do Blackhearts have that a normal Crate doesn't? Why would I want a BH over a Crate? Is there some phenomenal quality difference between the two? Is there a Crate equivalent to the Little Giant? I'd be getting the BH for classic rock mostly, but I play almost anything that catches my interest.
I think BH is just a brand under Crate.
Not too sure though.

The BH LG is a great amp though, but it needs new tubes once you get it. Luckily, it's cheap, and easy as a lightbulb swap.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
not mega sure but blackheart could be owned by crate but have manufactoring and design decisions made by themselves so could be different in that respect, i am talking out my arse but thats a plausble thing
JJ EL84 for the power tube for sure.
Not sure about the preamp. Perhaps a tungsol 12ax7 or a JJ.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I say the head and speaker cabinet, just because it costs a little more, looks cooler, sounds a bit better, etc.

Maybe about 30 bucks for the tube swap. You don't need to hire a tech either, unless you don't know how to change a lightbulb
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Blackhearts are made by Crate, kinda like how some brands (like Guild now) are made by Fender. But the Little Giant is probably the best 5w tube combo, as it has some extra features that the Crate V/Palomino 5ws do not. Like a 3-band EQ, 3w/5w switch. Altho you might want an OD pedal for drive w/out having to crank it loud.
Yup Blackheart is like Epiphone is to Gibson. Maybe not the best comparison, but you get the idea. I just bought the little giant myself too (not the half stack one, but the combo) Maybe it isn't called a little giant, either way I'm pumped.
^No.

He's saying:

Blackheart is to crate, as epiphone is to gibson.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yup, but I don't think it's an exact comparison, because Epiphone is the lower quality of Gibson and I don't think Blackheart is, it's just more affordable.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Ohhhh right, makes sense.

Now I'll need an overdrive pedal for this thing, looks like. And reverb. Gah, the money...

If your low on money don't hesistate on a Danelectro pedal. I got my metal one the other day and it's extremely good for the price, and it's a lot more solid than it looks.

You can also get reverbs and delays from them for about 35 bucks each. They aren't the best looking pedals, but who cares.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Oh, I'll probably look at a Danelectro EQ, but I've got my eyes on a Holy Grail Plus, and quite possibly a Tubescreamer of sorts.

Yah I heard good things about the EQ. I might get one soon. It's surpring how good these pedals are though.
blackheart were designed by the man behind the epiphone valve junior and other such amps. some pretty nice boutique ones too. he designed it, and its made in the crate factory.

its a nice amp that will do classic rock nicely, but will do it even better with an overdrive and some reverb.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
To clear something up, Blackheart is not made by Crate. They are both owned and manufactured (along with Ampeg) by a company called Loud Technologies.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
To clear something up, Blackheart is not made by Crate. They are both owned and manufactured (along with Ampeg) by a company called Loud Technologies.

^^^Its got to be more then that to actually get "Crate" put on the amp
Does Ampeg products have "Crate" on them?

I think they have a partnership with Crate, and probally get built out of a Crate factory

Kind of like Bugera and Behringer.. (but awesomer, with great people working for them... who gave me mine for a tattoo)
Last edited by stangconv at May 30, 2008,
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Ohhhh right, makes sense.

Now I'll need an overdrive pedal for this thing, looks like. And reverb. Gah, the money...

Or a Blues Junior, that has reverb and a master volume, and a lot more gigable headroom.
Quote by stangconv
not sigged anymore.... Thats didnt last long.

There goes my self esteem..

Hah, I changed the link so it didn't say "free sex" anymore, so it's not relevant... Good while it lasted, though!
It was a wild night. Spine's quite a handful in the bedroom...

So, you say Blue's Junior would be better eh... dunno, I heard the spring reverb on it was shoddy and sounded too thin.
^ I saw your pics in your profile. Damn, that looks like such a neat amp. I'll probably go for the cab and speaker. I'll need a pedalboard too probably, or at least sometime in the near future.
LOL yeah I put new tubes in it and it really brought it to life...

I never paid for my BH.. read my blog

But Axe music can get them... Free shipping over 200 too.

http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?P_ID=16674&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=blackheart&numPageStartPosition=1&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all

http://www.axemusic.com/search.asp?strKeywords=blackheart&numRecordPosition=1
Quote by stangconv
^^^Its got to be more then that to actually get "Crate" put on the amp
Does Ampeg products have "Crate" on them?

I think they have a partnership with Crate, and probally get built out of a Crate factory

Kind of like Bugera and Behringer.. (but awesomer, with great people working for them... who gave me mine for a tattoo)

That's the part I never got. All I know is that Ampeg, Crate, and Blackheart are all coming out of Loud Technologies' factory in 'Nam.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
^ its called Handsome devil, dunno what shops that got it in stock
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard