Okay, so for a class project, we decided to build a guitar. We have ~5hrs. in class to complete it, a few hrs here and there outside of class. It doesn'thave to be perfect, or even decent, it jsut has to work in at least some rudimentary form. I know where to order parts online, but I'm not willing to pay for expedited shipping to get them here in time. ($23 jsut for fast shipping from guitar fetish)

It'll be a solidbody probably, or acoustic, depending on what thickness of wood I can get. It'll just be in a simple shape, probably in the shape of the wood I get.

I'll be forced to use wood from my local HOME DEPOT. I don't care about tone, I just want to produce a sound from it.

WOOD TYPE: poplar
NECK: glued and/or bolted, no fretboard, just a plank(any special preparations needed for a fretless?)
TUNERS/BRIDGE: whatever I can find lying around
TAILPIECE: none, string thru
NUT: can I just cut up a piece of PVC pipe for this?

IMPORTANT QUESTIONS ARE IN BOLD.

Sound at least doable? Ideas? Answers to bolded(or any) questions?

Thanks a million.
Last edited by RSX at May 30, 2008,
Retyped original post so that it's more understandable.
around about 5 hours class time?
You will have to do quite alot in your own time then.

Dont paint it or give it any special finish. It will take to long.

Dont any music stores in your area sell pickups? It will be quicker and cheaper if you do that.

Make sure everything is measured close to perfect.

Use poplar. Ply wood is ****.

No fretboard? Get the measurements for where each fret is and draw a line. At least you will be able to know where the frets should be and mabe you could ad something that resembles a fret later.

I would suggest down tunning it. Standard tuning might be a little bit hard on the neck.

Use a combo of glue and screws to put this together. Its quick and cheap.
Thanks.

We're not gonna paint it, and we MAY do a pickup. Probably not though.

We were gonna do an accoustic, but the thinnest poplar that Home Depot sells is 1" thick, and we don't have access to a planar(this is what would be used, right?) to thin it down.

My les paul is plenty loud unplugged though, so we're not too worried about it.

BTW, you basically reaffirmed all of my thoughts. I am much more confident going into this now. Thanks a million.
Quote by RSX
Thanks.

We're not gonna paint it, and we MAY do a pickup. Probably not though.

We were gonna do an accoustic, but the thinnest poplar that Home Depot sells is 1" thick, and we don't have access to a planar(this is what would be used, right?) to thin it down.

My les paul is plenty loud unplugged though, so we're not too worried about it.

BTW, you basically reaffirmed all of my thoughts. I am much more confident going into this now. Thanks a million.

Hmm an acoustic? with what you've said i thought it would be an electric.

Although it could work it would be more like a box with a sound hole

If tone isnt an issue you could make a wooden rectangle and glue-screw the neck on it.

Oh and cut a massive hole for the sound hole.

Again, try to get everything as close to actual guitar measurements. It will pay of in the end. You will actually be able to tune it (although the body/neck might not handle standard tuning very well.

And post some pics when your done dude. I'm very interested in seeing how this will work out
Yeah, I don't know if poplar a poplar solidbody is gonna be very audible. But, if we can't get thinner wood, then it'd weight a ton if it's an acoustic so............I guess we'll see. I have to talk to my teacher this weekend and see what tools and wood he's got.
Quote by RSX
Yeah, I don't know if poplar a poplar solidbody is gonna be very audible. But, if we can't get thinner wood, then it'd weight a ton if it's an acoustic so............I guess we'll see. I have to talk to my teacher this weekend and see what tools and wood he's got.

Well whatever you dont use ply wood.

First talk to whoever else your making this with and your teacher and then decide on a few things.

What wood, Where your getting it etc.

surely they can order in some thinner wood for you?
Quote by RSX
In one week? Doubt it.

Oh

Ummmm.... Do they have any lighter/thinner wood available? Could they cut some poplar so its thinner?

I know people at hardware stores are useless but try to find someone there who knows what they are doing and explain to them your situation and see if they can help you with the wood.
sorry dude but you are out of your mind. if you wanna build a an axe thats great and all but in 5 hr s and out of plywood that is just nuts. If you wanna build an axe quick get a alder blank from carvin and buy the neck from stewmac. its a little more but you will beable to finish faster in the time frame you want.
Quote by Stratmaster458
sorry dude but you are out of your mind. if you wanna build a an axe thats great and all but in 5 hr s and out of plywood that is just nuts. If you wanna build an axe quick get a alder blank from carvin and buy the neck from stewmac. its a little more but you will beable to finish faster in the time frame you want.

not great, just something that's BARELY decent

Quote by Stratmaster458
and out of plywood that is just nuts.

most likely gonna use poplar

Quote by Stratmaster458
If you wanna build an axe quick get a alder blank from carvin and buy the neck from stewmac.

we're on a strict budget(IE: we really shouldn't be spending any $$ at all)

Quote by Stratmaster458
its a little more but you will beable to finish faster in the time frame you want.

Budget aside, this needs to be done by in 8 DAYS FROM NOW, a week from Friday 5/30. Even if I ordered tommorrow morning, I doubt it'd get here in time. Even if it did, it would leave us with little to no time for assembly.

Believe me, when I build my own guitar from parts for the purpose of having a GOOD guitar, I WILL use quality parts from Carvin, Warmoth, or Stewmac. However, due to budget constaints and TIME constraints, and due to our goal(just to produce something that can be identified as a guitar really, just needs to be able to produce sound really), a custom Carvin from parts is out of the question.

Thanks a million for the advice though.
Quote by Stratmaster458

did you read a single thing he wrote in his first post?
So would poplar be hard enough to make a neck out of?
I don't think so. What I would do is take a plank of poplar, and screw&glue a piece of steel along the back. An external truss rod, sort of. You just need lots of screws that won't pull out of the back of the wood.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Great idea. Do you think they sell steel like that @ home depot?
sheet metal. how are you doing the bridge?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
wood probably. We'll do it last, so it just needs to hold for about 20 mins.
We've got an idea or two that we're gonna try to make homemade tuners. It really only needs to stay in tune for a few minutes. My friend has some tuners that he offered, as well as a bridge and nut, but I told him I didn't feel comfortable letting him tear apart his guitar for the sake of a project that's really only graded on 'participation'.

Me and my friend are going to Home Depot tommorrow morning to see if we can find any poplar thinner than 1", or to see if they'll thin it out. We start on Monday, I'll try to get pictures.
It LIVES!!! Made out of 1" thick poplar, 19 frets, 25" scale, Ernie Ball Slinkies 10-46(electric), pvc nut and bridge, string thru, custom dry wall bolt inlays on 17th and 19th frets, nut and bolt string trees, tuners are 5/16" bolts that were gorund down and drilled thru and then put directly into the wood. Only problems are that the action is a little high, and the bolts-in-wood don't have enough grip to keep the strings in tune at all.

Named it "Teh Shoobox". PARL is our initials. The dude in the pic isn't me. Cell phone pics.

Sweet!

that's badass. reminds me of the stand-up bass kits made of some basic wood and a cardboard box, with trimmer wire as the strings :P
------

Shwiggity.
oh.my.god. that is possibly the coolest tissuebox 'ive ever seen/ haha looks good for the budget time given i guess.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
sound clips? i'm very curious what this beast sounds like, looks like it turned out pretty good within the confines of the assignment, nice job man!
Oh dear god lmao
That doesn't look TOO bad for a 5 hour build baha

Does it actually play? lol apart from the action problems you mentioned.

I'm shocked and impressed aha
Lol, that's awesome! I love it.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Didn't bother with sound clips because the strings are so rediculously under-tuned that it rattels for the most part.

When it was breifly in tune though in sounded a bit like a sitar.