Hey everyone! I've been playing guitar for 6-8 months now... and I'm getting quite good. It's my birthday soon... and I was thinking about buying a new guitar. My current it a Yamaha Pacifica, which I REALLY like. It's been a fantastic guitar to get me started... and was very cheap for what I got.

What could my next guitar be? I play alot of Muse and Rage Against The Machine... but also play a wide variety of songs, also doing Grade 3 Guitar. What guitar would suit this... and how much would it cost? I don't know how much money I'd have.. but I'm guessing it would be quite abit for my birthday...

Just looking for your suggestions
Cheers
dont buy a guitar, buy a piano
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Get a new amp.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
i loved (still do) my pacifica. For playing rage, you can install a kill switch on it like i did. as for a new guitar, i would say go to a guitar center, and look around 'till you see something you like
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Haven't got any immediate suggestions, but I will give the advice of actually playing on all of your choices. Make sure you ahve had a good half hour on each of them before you decide.
Quote by gorecore=me
is a bidet a type of crisp?
Yeah.... I think I just need to look around. So much choice though I wouldn't know where to start! And I don't want to like... take a step back in the guitar I choose, if you get me.
whats your budget?
id say epiphone g-400 cause its a godly for mid level guitar. I got mine last year and havent had a single problem with it.
and you may want a new amp soon too. check out roland cube and vox valvetronix
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Oooh! New amp definately! I got a Yamaha GA-10 with the guitar bundle... My guitar teacher has recommended a Marshall MG15CD... though a mate is selling a Kustom Dart 10FX for 40 quid. Is this a good price for the Kustom?

Don't have an exact budget... But I'd say not extremely expensive, but I do want a decent guitar/amp.

(And sorry for the random changes in thread direction)
ARGH! MG NOOOOOOO! Get a ROLAND CUBE 20X please!
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
i would suggest Schecter...

I have a Omen 6...love it! its about $300 new....then the prices/quality goes up from there...

and for an amp, check out Peavey...i love their gear...dont be afraid to buy used either..just inspect it yourself..

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu565Pz9I3moAz_dXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyZG9uNGVoBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0Y2NTRfODk-/SIG=1gd35qhle/EXP=1212191033/**http%3a//rdre1.yahoo.com/click%3fu=http%3a//na.link.decdna.net/n/8812/8814/www.zzounds.com/0c6418cf0025030000000004000040a215fb209f0000000000000000000000000000000100/i/c%253F0%2526pq%253D%25252fa%25252d%25252d304328%25252fsid%25252d%25252dsku%25255fPEVTTRAGE258%25252fitem%25252d%25252dPEVTTRAGE258%26y=04F427198F1733D377%26i=482%26c=12125%26q=02%255ESSHPM%255BL7Oz~izf%253F%257D~lv%257C6%26e=utf-8%26r=2%26d=wow~F654-en-us%26n=KDKKG7LB1SVKHQM0%26s=7%26t=%26m=483F3FB9%26x=05AF52651BDAEFA5EF9351EA003664C032

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Line 6 Spider III 15 watt
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Yamaha, Lugwig, Pearl, CB Drums
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
Last edited by bojangleman at May 29, 2008,
A nice guitar + crappy amp is better than crappy guitar + good amp. It's better to be comfortable playing
^not entirely true but not entirely wrong.

playability is important but tone is equally as important. it all comes down to this:

Do you want to be 100% comfortable while playing in a tin-can-of-bees tone, or do you want to have to work a lil hard to deliver ear-sex to anyone listening?

hard choice...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^not entirely true but not entirely wrong.

playability is important but tone is equally as important. it all comes down to this:

Do you want to be 100% comfortable while playing in a tin-can-of-bees tone, or do you want to have to work a lil hard to deliver ear-sex to anyone listening?

hard choice...

Crappy guitar = ear sex? What?

Both are important to the sound and quality of your guitar playing. Roland amps tend to be good (that's what I hear, but haven't actually gotten to try one), and the Epiphone G-400 is a great guitar, just played one today. Go to a guitar store and check it out.
Quote by The Gore Child
Oooh! New amp definately! I got a Yamaha GA-10 with the guitar bundle... My guitar teacher has recommended a Marshall MG15CD... though a mate is selling a Kustom Dart 10FX for 40 quid. Is this a good price for the Kustom?

Don't have an exact budget... But I'd say not extremely expensive, but I do want a decent guitar/amp.

Your teacher is a noob, that amp is terrible

Roland Microcube, Roland Cube 30X
Vox DA5, Vox AD15VT

Those are your best bets for your next amp. The Pacifica is actually a decent guitar, there's no pressing need to change it yet. The amp definitely needs to go though, your sound will improve tenfold through one of the above amps.

Quote by sxymnky777
A nice guitar + crappy amp is better than crappy guitar + good amp. It's better to be comfortable playing

not in a million years, you can manage with a crappy guitar and it'll sound fine even if it feels a bit clunky, you can't make a crap amp sound good. That's not the issue anyway, he doesn't have a crappy guitar. Modelling amps like the Cubes and Valvetronixes are great levellers anyway, they do most of the work when it comes to creating a tone so the quality of the original signal coming from the guitar is far less important.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at May 30, 2008,
Just looked at the review of the Roland Tube 20X on this site...looks damn good! And better than the two other amps I would've got... How much do they cost?

Also.. someone said get the Roland Tube 30X? What's the difference between the two?
It's nice to have a new guitar, but in your case the Yamaha is already pretty decent. You'll get a lot better tone from a new amp investment so do that first. While you are enjoying your new amp, spend the next year trying out some different guitars then do the guitar upgrade.
Quote by The Gore Child
Just looked at the review of the Roland Tube 20X on this site...looks damn good! And better than the two other amps I would've got... How much do they cost?

Also.. someone said get the Roland Tube 30X? What's the difference between the two?

They have different modeling. I would play both and see which has the tones you like best. I have a micro cube and a 20. The micro cube has the same modeling as the 30 and its pretty good... but, the 20 still has some good sounds and I wish that the micro cube had some settings that the 20 has and vice versa. Anyway, like I said, play them both and pick one, can't really go wrong either way.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Roland Microcube
Get yourself a good Valve Junior
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I wanted to ask about the valve junior.. do you need a processor or a pedal for dist. and no tone customization.

Why so highly rated?
Ibanez RG321MH - Royal Blue = sexness
^ it'll distort if you turn it up enough, but you're right, it's kind of a one-trick pony and not very versatile. I like mine, but i wouldn't recommend it if it were going to be someone's only amp.

Quote by The Gore Child

your guitar teacher's a tool. no offence.

Quote by steven seagull
Your teacher is a noob, that amp is terrible

Roland Microcube, Roland Cube 30X
Vox DA5, Vox AD15VT

Those are your best bets for your next amp. The Pacifica is actually a decent guitar, there's no pressing need to change it yet. The amp definitely needs to go though, your sound will improve tenfold through one of the above amps.

not in a million years, you can manage with a crappy guitar and it'll sound fine even if it feels a bit clunky, you can't make a crap amp sound good. That's not the issue anyway, he doesn't have a crappy guitar. Modelling amps like the Cubes and Valvetronixes are great levellers anyway, they do most of the work when it comes to creating a tone so the quality of the original signal coming from the guitar is far less important.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The valve special I have is basically a valve junior with effects and a separate gain and volume. Anyway, it is a sweet amp, with my bad monkey od it really screams too! I like it better than both cubes for the tone it produces, the only problem is that it doesn't have nearly the range of tones they have. You can however get them all really cheap on ebay. I paid like $120 for the special.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Roland Microcube
Last edited by Mike-T at May 30, 2008,
It will be less versatile, but will sound WAAAAY better,
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Aaah! Apparently my guitar teacher's amp is a Marshall MG31DFX... not whatever I said before. Sorry about that info. Are the DFX's any good?
mg30dfx?

not really no, it's not great. there are better amps available for the same amount of money, basically...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by The Gore Child
Aaah! Apparently my guitar teacher's amp is a Marshall MG31DFX... not whatever I said before. Sorry about that info. Are the DFX's any good?

Equally crappy, arguably worse as they're louder therefore the crapness affects more people.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ha ha, alright then... scratch the Marshall Amp idea then. How much would these Cube Amps be?

Edit: Cube not tube amp :P
Last edited by The Gore Child at May 31, 2008,
the pacifica is one fine guitar for starting, but if you feel the need to upgrade and are comfortable with teh pacifica you could look at a fender s-s-h strat.

but upgrading your amp would be a good idea 2...
Quote by The Gore Child
Ha ha, alright then... scratch the Marshall Amp idea then. How much would these Cube Amps be?

Edit: Cube not tube amp :P

something similar to the marshall, i'd have thought...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A roland cube 20x should run you about 150 USD (Somewhere in the mid 100's). Pretty good buy for a solid amp. It's built like a tank too. Go for it man!
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Right! Got the Roland Cube 20X on order for my birthday... Thanks for pointing that one out for me! As for a new guitar... I guess I'll have to wait for a while, but it's definately something I'm looking forward to. Wouldn't want an ugly looking guitar though, love the shape of the Yamaha Pacifica, just want abit more to show-off with but I guess the amp will help loads.

Thanks again
Just on a side note, if you like the Pacifica, when you get to getting a new guitar you should look for a higher end Pacifica, like the 812V. My friend has one, awesome, original seymour duncans, h/s/s, great tremolo, great playability.
Quote by Loori
Just on a side note, if you like the Pacifica, when you get to getting a new guitar you should look for a higher end Pacifica, like the 812V. My friend has one, awesome, original seymour duncans, h/s/s, great tremolo, great playability.

+1 get a better pacifica, the 812v looks godly
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by MoonageDaydream
Get yourself a good Valve Junior

+1, but they are not the world's most versatile amp.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/