has anyone played this amp or own it? i've looked at em on musicians friend and i've heard their pretty good amps. i like to play everything from classic rock stuff like zeppelin to chill stuff like jack johnson and bob marley. also how are the effects on this amp, because i really want a good wah sound for a lot of the stuff i do like reggae rhthyms and some classic rock style solo's. thanks for any help.
I have the 30 watter...love it, very versatile and sounds great.

As for effects, as per vox:

Nine standard effects indispensable for any guitarist are built-in. These include auto wah, compressor, phaser, chorus, flanger, tremolo, rotary, delay and reverb. With the addition of combination-type effects, you have a total of eleven effects to choose from. Each effect lets you adjust several parameters. There’s also a Tap button that makes it easy to set the delay time or modulation speed.

Wah is an Autowah, like it says.
I own it. It's a very good amp, with damn good cleans. The wah sucks on it though. The other effects are pretty good.

If those are the styles you mainly play, the best channels to play on are AC30TB, Black 2x12, and Boutique OD. The other channels are good too, but those are my favorites.
How loud is the 50-watter? About right for a small, pub-sized gig? I've got the baby 5-watt version and may buy one of the bigger ones if I ever start giging.
Quote by Lead Ninja
How loud is the 50-watter? About right for a small, pub-sized gig? I've got the baby 5-watt version and may buy one of the bigger ones if I ever start giging.

I imagine pretty loud, my 30 is. I would say the 50 should do a small gig fine.

is the wah just weak and too subtle or what

I haven't played with it much...
Quote by Lead Ninja

It can get pretty loud, so I say it's good enough for a small gig.
I own the AD50VT, and I love it. It's very versatile, good for playing anything from reggae to death metal.
The wah isn't good. I've never personally seen much point to auto-wah. It would need an expression pedal. I have the AD30VT and it's impressive. If you want a good wah, you can still get the Vox amp, but get a seperate expression pedal to run into it first and you'll be away.... The auto wah is just annoying. It sounds like a quacking duck rather than a wah.

...and to Lead Ninja, the AD30VT is loud enough to do gigs, but by all means get any of the more powerful ones as there is a power adjuster on the back of the amps, so you can turn the wattage down (but keep the volume up, where the tone is best). The amps naturally have line-outs as well so you can hook up to a PA if it's up to it.

Enjoy!

*edited from AC30VT to AD30VT- Sorry, I'm new.

Peace!
Last edited by strawforest007 at May 29, 2008,
I can't vouch for the 50, but mine (DA-5 - same thing but smaller and without valves) isn't too subtle. I don't use it cos I have a wah peddle and the auto-wah isn't foot-switchable (although it may be for the bigger ones). I just had a little play with it now and it sounded alright. I just don't want to use it for an entire song.

Edit - Yeah, it's a bit quacky but can be adjusted.
Quote by strawforest007
The wah isn't good. I've never personally seen much point to auto-wah. It would need an expression pedal. I have the AC30VT and it's impressive. If you want a good wah, you can still get the Vox amp, but get a seperate expression pedal to run into it first and you'll be away.... The auto wah is just annoying. It sounds like a quacking duck rather than a wah.

...and to Lead Ninja, the AC30 is loud enough to do gigs, but by all means get any of the more powerful ones as there is a power adjuster on the back of the amps, so you can turn the wattage down (but keep the volume up, where the tone is best). The amps naturally have line-outs as well so you can hook up to a PA if it's up to it.

Enjoy!

He means AD30VT, no AC-30, btw. Just to avoid confusion. The AC30 is a classic Vox tube amp, I believe. The AD-VT tries to model their sound on some settings.
I could use my current amp with the line out into the PA, but I've recorded with that and it sounds horrible for some reason.
Quote by Lead Ninja
I could use my current amp with the line out into the PA, but I've recorded with that and it sounds horrible for some reason.

Yeah, only way to record would be a SM57 mic'd up in front. The speaker etc. has lots to do with your sound.