So about a week ago I'm riding to a big 6 day party in the Ventana wilderness near Santa Cruz/ Monterey Bay. The driver puts Flobots in the CD player: I have no idea what the name of the band is, where they come from, anything, but I've heard 'Handlebars' on the radio and when I hear this guy rap now I can think nothing but "this is ****ing flow". I said so much at the end of the song and the driver said, "Yeah dude, this is the Flobots!"

So yeah, though they're new I think these guys deserve their own thread. I don't listen to a whole lot of hip hop so those of you who do might disagree with me for one reason or another, but I just listened to the whole "Fight with Tools" album and its damn powerful. A hip hop group with a violinist! Don't see that very often...
"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful." - Robert A. Heinlein
Came across them on purevol, I LOVE purevol for promoting little funky original bands like this, they seem to be honest and rap about real things like Immortal Technique, can't deal with any of that comericialized pointless rapping.
i was very excited when i heard about these guys. i thought they would end up being something interesting like WHY? or cloudDEAD...

it turns out i was wrong. i listened to about half of the album and it was awful.

someone try to change my opinion, give me one song i should listen to that will make me see the light. oh, and don't even suggest "Handlebars" because that song is horrid.
I don't why I hated the song Handlebars when I heard it, but I really like it now.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I got their whole album, i havent really listened to it but what i've listened to doesnt come close to handlebars.
i love handlebars, and stand up is okay. but have any of you seen them live or seen videos of them? they have ZERO stage presence.

the white singer (singer for handlebars) just stands there looking extremely awkward and doesnt even get into the music in the least bit. the background singer is the only one who seems to even feel it...
Insanely weak group. Their rapping style is similar to Mike effin' Shinoda (LOL) and their lyrics are painfully, obviously left-wing. No clever wordplay, just regurgitated left-wing ideals. Example:

"we need money for healthcare and public welfare
free mumia and Leonard peltier
human needs not corporate greed
drop the debt and legalize weed
we say yes to grassroots organization
no to neoliberal globalization
bring the troops back to the USA
and shut down guantanamo Bay
the same things over again
my throat's so sore from shoutin no war for the soldiers again"
Quote by madefortvmovie
i love handlebars, and stand up is okay. but have any of you seen them live or seen videos of them? they have ZERO stage presence.

the white singer (singer for handlebars) just stands there looking extremely awkward and doesnt even get into the music in the least bit. the background singer is the only one who seems to even feel it...

Have you seen them on Jay Leno? They had great presence.