I'm looking to buy a new bass and amp and I was wondering what the best value would be. I'm not sure if I should buy both seperate or go with a "starter package". I want to stay relativelty cheap(under $400 perferably), so any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
for under $400 you should be able to get a decent Epiphone bass (EB3 SG or Thunderbird) and a Cube Bass amp or something
Rockin' shit
Quote by jimmyhotpants
for under $400 you should be able to get a decent Epiphone bass (EB3 SG or Thunderbird) and a Cube Bass amp or something

NO, God no.

Stay away from anything with the "Epiphone" name on it.

I'll make a nice list of whats **** to help you not waste your money.

Epiphone
Squire
Yamaha
SX
First Act

This is the **** list for basses.
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at May 29, 2008,
Some Squiers are alright Pizza and I've used a few Yamahas that are pretty good as well.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Rywad
Some Squiers are alright Pizza and I've used a few Yamahas that are pretty good as well.

I'd say the only way a Squire is good is if it's heavily modded or if its the vintage Jazz. All the others i've played have been terrible. As for Yamaha, they feel like toys to me.
Epiphone and Squier are decent
what you really need to avoid in Encore, Yamaha etc.
Rockin' shit
Quote by jimmyhotpants
Epiphone and Squier are decent
what you really need to avoid in Encore, Yamaha etc.

No Epiphone is not decent. Bland muddy tone, neck, poor fret-acces, terrible QC.
Yamaha makes some some pretty good gear.

I would suggest getting a Squier Vintage Modifed Jazz Bass or P-bass, which will run about 270 bucks. Then for an amp a Fender Rumble 15, which is about 130 dollars.

If you not feeling the Squier I would alternatively look at an Ibanez GSR200.

Ibanez and Squier make much better entry-level instruments than other company.
Last edited by Captain Insano at May 29, 2008,
Quote by jimmyhotpants

ha ha, a decent epiphone bass...when the pigs start flying maybe...
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Quote by Harmonicdoom
I'm looking to buy a new bass and amp and I was wondering what the best value would be. I'm not sure if I should buy both seperate or go with a "starter package". I want to stay relativelty cheap(under $400 perferably), so any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

My recommendation is for you to look at Ibanez starter basses (GSR series) and Ashdown combo amps, look at either the 30W or 100W version. 400$ should get you a nice package like that.
Quote by jimmyhotpants

Obvious troll is obvious.

Check the FAQ. It's made of all things good in this world.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Quote by Haanz
Obvious troll is obvious.

Nah--he's entitled to his opinion, even though it is horribly misguided and misinformed.
Quote by anarkee
Nah--he's entitled to his opinion, even though it is horribly misguided and misinformed.

I dunno.. It seems every 'what should I get' thread has someone suggesting a T-Bird or a T-Bird and Big Muff, which is usually followed by "oh lawd no, don't get that!" posts.

Call me jaded, but I've only been reading these forums for a couple months now and already I'm starting to think posts like those can't possibly be legit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a witch hunt or criticize or anything here, just seems anyone who's been reading these boards for over a day would know a-trouble brews when someone brings up Epiphone or T-Birds.

Uhhh.. though if it is serious, may God help us all.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Last edited by Haanz at May 29, 2008,
Some people are just rebels.

also, Harmonicdoom, play the following basses if you can:
Ibanez GSR200
Squier VM J-Bass
through the following amps:
Fender
Acoustic
Warwick
Marshall
Peavey
avoid Behringer and Epiphone. They are not good.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
whilst on the subject of starter basses, are those peavey milestone 3 basses any good for the money?

I have an encore p-bass copy which i enjoy playing, but i'm thinking of saving hard for a long time and getting a "lifer" such as a fender jag or jazz, or possibly even a tokai rickenbacker 4003 copy.

However there is a peavey milestone 3 for sale in a local music shop and i was wondering if it would be much better than my encore until i can afford my "lifer."

PS my amp is a laney HCM15B. TIA
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!