Sorry if its stupid to ask, but would a 5150 Combo be too loud or too big for things such as bedroom practice? Would i need an attenuator?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
You can still use it at bedroom practice levels, but it'll sound naff. Even with an attenuator.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
well if you turn the volume down then it wont be too loud. it will sound its best at higher levels, but i played one at pretty low volume before (about 0.5 haha) and it sounded great
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by surge666
nothings to loud.....EVER

Well it is if you have parents.

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
bedroom levels = bias opinions.

I have a 50 watt tube amp in my bedroom and crank the hell out of it.

I don't believe in low volume.. just like I read on this website

"if your ears aren't ringing then you must be doing it wrong."

oh, and yes I do have parents.

but whatever, they never bother with it.
might be different if my dad didn't play guitar as well though because then they wouldn't see the point in having to turn up a tube amp.
The 5150 sounds fine at low volume. I used to play mine in the 0.5 - 2 range all the time.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I don't know....

Playing a 5150 at bedroom volume is like having sex with a chick, only she doesn't take her top off.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
the 5150 relies mostly on preamp saturation, so it will sound ok at low volumes.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by MakeItWitChu
Well it is if you have parents.

you dont live with them forever (hopefully)
HiMyNameIsMatt
Quote by surge666
you dont live with them forever (hopefully)

Ha i wont.

Quote by Van Noord
I don't know....

Playing a 5150 at bedroom volume is like having sex with a chick, only she doesn't take her top off.

I am so tempted to sig that.

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
the 5150 relies mostly on preamp saturation, so it will sound ok at low volumes.

I may be misunderstanding this.. But not at all. Most of the gain comes from the preamp gain stages themselves, not saturation of the preamp tubes. The overdrive would come from cranking the power tubes.

You're right about it sounding okay at low volumes, but it sounds pretty good once you get it over about 0.75. I'm not sure if I understand the preamp saturation part though.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
I may be misunderstanding this.. But not at all. Most of the gain comes from the preamp gain stages themselves, not saturation of the preamp tubes. The overdrive would come from cranking the power tubes.

You're right about it sounding okay at low volumes, but it sounds pretty good once you get it over about 0.75. I'm not sure if I understand the preamp saturation part though.

it's the same principle as what happens with power amp saturation only the distortion is happening in the preamp instead of the power amp, thus you get a lot of distortion at a much lower volume.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
it's the same principle as what happens with power amp saturation only the distortion is happening in the preamp instead of the power amp, thus you get a lot of distortion at a much lower volume.

Isn't saturation pushing the tubes to put out more? I don't see how just by turning the gain up, its increasing the output of the preamp tubes. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Does increasing the pre-gain push the preamp tubes more than using less?
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Heres a quick simple article that should fill in some gaps. Also for the people new to tube amps and looking at bedroom practicing pay attention to the tips on pushing the preamps vs poweramps harder.

Yall enjoy

"Power amp saturation is also called overdrive and it’s actually a fairly simple concept. The power tubes in your amplifier are being overloaded with such a “hot” high-gain signal that they tend to “clip” a small amount off of the sine wave waveform. Your Preamp will do the same thing, and it does even during powertube saturation. The difference is that you can have preamp saturation without powertube saturation, but it is physically impossible to do the opposite. Preamp saturation has its own distinct growl, and it sounds a lot like Cream’s “Sunshine of Your Love” on the neck pickup of a strat or even a les paul. How do you do it though? If your amp has a “Preamp Out” or “Line Out” jack, you can use that to go to a different speaker or attenuator to decrease the decible-age of your signal. Another thing you can do is if you have both “Preamp Out” and “Poweramp In” jacks, run a volume pedal between the two so you can use it to lower the decible-age of your signal from the Preamp to the Poweramp so only the preamp tubes are overloaded and you can get tube overdrive without getting kicked out of your apartment."
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yall might be suprised on how low bands actually set there volume using a 5150.....

How low are you talking about?
Quote by KaneIsRaw13
How low are you talking about?

Like as low as 3... There mic'ed up of coarse..... But just shows you that a 5150 doesnt need to be cranked to sound good.
Most high gain amps sound good at low volumes, because (as said), most of the overdrive comes from the preamp. I run my Uberschall at bedroom volumes as well with master vol on 0.5 and it sounds great. Ofcourse you don't have the same bowel moving low end but for practice, who cares? Besides, its bad for your ears unless you wear earplugs.
Edit: it also depends on the speakers you use. For practice you might consider using a 2x12 cab with low efficiency speakers and not too high wattage (2x25w should do fine for low volumes).
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Last edited by Ventor at May 30, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Heres a quick simple article that should fill in some gaps. Also for the people new to tube amps and looking at bedroom practicing pay attention to the tips on pushing the preamps vs poweramps harder.

Yall enjoy

"Power amp saturation is also called overdrive and it’s actually a fairly simple concept. The power tubes in your amplifier are being overloaded with such a “hot” high-gain signal that they tend to “clip” a small amount off of the sine wave waveform. Your Preamp will do the same thing, and it does even during powertube saturation. The difference is that you can have preamp saturation without powertube saturation, but it is physically impossible to do the opposite. Preamp saturation has its own distinct growl, and it sounds a lot like Cream’s “Sunshine of Your Love” on the neck pickup of a strat or even a les paul. How do you do it though? If your amp has a “Preamp Out” or “Line Out” jack, you can use that to go to a different speaker or attenuator to decrease the decible-age of your signal. Another thing you can do is if you have both “Preamp Out” and “Poweramp In” jacks, run a volume pedal between the two so you can use it to lower the decible-age of your signal from the Preamp to the Poweramp so only the preamp tubes are overloaded and you can get tube overdrive without getting kicked out of your apartment."

Thanks for clarifying that. Actually does make a lot of sense.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
i dont know how yall get a good tone outta a 5150 at a low volume, the sheer brutatility of this amp increases as the volume does, get an attenuator and dial in whatever voulume your roomates thinks is acceptable.... a 5150 combo at 2 can shake a house which is exactly why i bought mine and have made sweet sweet love to it every day since
Ive never had mine above 4. Even for a show. Usually its set around 2.5 - 3.5

4 is stupidly loud and it just gets louder haha.
Guitars:
LTD MHNT250 (Bare Knuckle Warpig in Bridge)
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance