Hey guys, I'm in the process of writing a song and I want to give it a creepy carnival/circus effect. The problem being I don't know how to go about doing that. Anyone have any suggestions as to chords scales or songs I can use for inspiration?

Thanks
Quote by Dgfduck
Slash described the Sweet Child o Mine riff as a "circus tune"

Yeah I heard that as well. It doesn't sound that circus-like to me though. The only circus tune that comes to mind is the stereo-typical "Entrance of the Gladiators." Thanks St Stephen, I'll try and see if that works.
Minor keys, use a lot of b5's, a i iv i V thing is definitely a great place to start as that other guy said. The circusy/carnival thing you're going for is perfect for some chromaticism is well. Try going around chromatically between the 6 and b5 of a minor key and see what you get from there.
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
Thunder and Blazes

/thread

I LOVE the tuba part for that

Thunder and Blazes is the same thing as Entrance of the Gladiators. Thanks
Listen to Slayer's "Deviance" from the God Hates Us All album. Very very creepy intro that has a carnival sound to me.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
You could play a circus type riff, then repeat the riff but move every note in the riff up a minor second. keep moving up a minor second at a time, and play slightly faster each time. then drop down real low or something. like this:

e--------------------------------|---1-1---1-1-
b--------------------------------|-------------
g---------1-0----1-------3-------|---1-1---1-1-
d---------------------2-----0--2-|-3-----0-----
a----3-------------3-------------|-------------
E--------------------------------|-------------

e----2-2---2-2-----3-3---3-3----4-4---4-4------
b----------------------------------------------
g----2-2---2-2-----3-3---3-3----4-4---4-4------
d--4-----1-------5-----2------6-----3----------
a---------(play faster and faster each time)---
E----(keep going up minor 2nd for this riff)---

then add some other creepy clown melody to go along with it, and maybe some children laughing or something..

that tab is sorta based off my memory of liquid spear waltz, which was in donnie darko, but it doesnt go up like that in the second part. so u prolly shouldnt use that exactly, or ull get sued, but hopefully it gives u some inspiration

and it is in 3/4 time, fyi
Quote by scream_it
Hey guys, I'm in the process of writing a song and I want to give it a creepy carnival/circus effect. The problem being I don't know how to go about doing that. Anyone have any suggestions as to chords scales or songs I can use for inspiration?

Thanks
Major tonality melody that uses ALOT of chromatics. And one of those 'bass to staccato chord' strumming techniques
Hmmm, I don't have a tab editor to write one out, but I made a carnival riff... at least, it sounds creepy. PM sometime and I'll see if I can somewhere show you it.
Listen to some some Panic! At The Disco type stuff.
their music is very circusy.

maybe you'll be inspired. Cheers!