what are some of the best books for someone that is just learning to play guitar? im about to order some stuff from amazon and figured i should get some books
you cant go wrong with any beginner type book really,personally maybe one with a dvd or video might be the best choice.
If I were you, I'd just go find some online guitar videos. I've never had much luck learning from reading and books=money.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
I would go with online videos as well. You can actually have someone showing you what to do and explaining it at the same time rather then wondering if what your doing from a book is correct. Youtube has good vids.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
I've gotten a few books. But for me, the online lessons at justinguitar.com and youtube seem to be more useful. Of my books, Fretboard Logic SE seems to make the most sense, and I keep using it to learn the CAGED method.
2007 Fender Mexi-Strat HSS, 1977 Les Paul Custom (under construction), Fender Sonoran AE, 19?? Fender Pro Reverb, Peavey Vypyr 75
I've been using these books:

Rhythm Guitar: The Complete Guide by Bruce Buckingham and Eric Pascal - focuses on chords and rhythms. My advice would be get this book plus a general beginner book to learn the basics.

Terrifying Technique for Guitar by Carl Culpepper - a little boring but I've found it good for learning how to alternate pick and be precise on playing individual notes.

In general books that include CDs are often useful so you can hear what the book is telling you to play (especially helpful if you aren't taking lessons).

While I don't own this book, I've flipped through it at the store and thought it looked reasonable for a true beginner: Hal Leonard Guitar Method, Complete Edition: Books & CD's 1, 2 and 3.
Quote by kezen

While I don't own this book, I've flipped through it at the store and thought it looked reasonable for a true beginner: Hal Leonard Guitar Method, Complete Edition: Books & CD's 1, 2 and 3.

I've got that one, and don't use it at all. The song selection is really arcane, even for an old fart such as myself.
2007 Fender Mexi-Strat HSS, 1977 Les Paul Custom (under construction), Fender Sonoran AE, 19?? Fender Pro Reverb, Peavey Vypyr 75
I had pretty good luck with Guitar for Dummy's but I will agree that watching vids on the net makes it a lot easier. It is nice to have a reference to go back to when you are sitting on the can and trying to figure some stuff out.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Roland Microcube
I used 'Maran's Illustrated Guitar' when starting out, and I found it very good and useful. It has good photos, diagrams, and illustrations to show you how to finger chords, and handle techniques, etc.

I also just picked up The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory. I recommend you check that out later if/when you become interested in theory.
The Troy Stetina books are very good, along with the Tom Kolb book "Music Theory for Guitar: Everything You Wanted to Know But Were Afraid to Ask". They arent really beginning orientated, but they're great.
this is how i learned to play

http://guitar.about.com/od/guitarlessons/u/lessons.htm

/thread
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
I love the www.vGuitarLessons.com videos. The free lessons are great and can easily be found on youtube if you dont want to wait for them to be emailed to you one by one.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack