So, I was thinking about getting some sort of overdrive pedal. I just want something that would add some grit to my tone, seeing how I seem to have lost what growl I used to have. No full blown distortions are needed here.

Any suggestions?
Sansamp Tech 21 Bass Driver.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Quote by reaume140
ODB3 ftw.
check out my bands myspace down there...and watch the video...i use the ODB3 in it, it is sexy.

i second that, fantastic and diverse, and even cheap too. I got mine for about $40. I can even get it to sound decent for bluesy-guitar tone too. If thats not the sound you were looking for you could try a big muff, odds are one of those will be satisfactory
Two words:

MXR Blowtorch. Expensive, but quite possibly the sexiest bass distortion I have ever heard.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Quote by ele1122
So, I was thinking about getting some sort of overdrive pedal. I just want something that would add some grit to my tone, seeing how I seem to have lost what growl I used to have. No full blown distortions are needed here.

Any suggestions?

when did you last buy strings?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'd say look into the MXR Blowtorch and the Tech 21 Bass Driver.

The Blowtorch receives nothing but praise from this forum -- the general opinion seems to be that "it's awesome." However, I've heard sound clips and from what I've heard, it sounds kind of thin. Not that it looses it's bass signal, but just kind of weak and whiney. It's hard to explain.

When I was in the market for an OD pedal, I decided on the Tech 21 Bass Driver. I've never played one, but from all the clips I heard, it was by far my favorite. The only pedal I liked more was the Bluebeard, but that's much more aggressive and is actual fuzz.

There's also a really comprehensive list of OD pedals somewhere on the net; I'd say it's a good idea for you to search Google in the near future. It was a huge list that had some pictures, a little bit of text, and a sound clip for the pedal. The Boss ODB-3, MXR Blowtorch, and Tech 21 Bass Driver are all there.

Someone also mentioned the Big Muff... while I love them, they'll strip your bass of it's "balls". My tone still sounds thick (as far as my tone goes at least) with it but it lacks balls, if that makes sense. The Muff is also full-blown fuzz, and might not be what you're looking for. It's quite heavy sounding and is way past "some grit" even on the lowest setting.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Fulltone Bass Drive and the Sansamp are generally regarded as the best overdrives onthe market.

I bought a Fulltone based solely on recommendations and I think it is worth far more than I payed for it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
the Humanity: I'm using Rotosounds that I put on almost a month ago.

Gywo Copta: I've heard clips of the blowtorch, and it's not my thing either. I've also looked at the Tech 21, and judging by the sound clips, it's just my thing.

gm jack: I've looked at the Fulltone, but I've never been able to find sound clips of it.
Quote by ele1122
the Humanity: I'm using Rotosounds that I put on almost a month ago.

Gywo Copta: I've heard clips of the blowtorch, and it's not my thing either. I've also looked at the Tech 21, and judging by the sound clips, it's just my thing.

gm jack: I've looked at the Fulltone, but I've never been able to find sound clips of it.

Google "talkbass wiki."

They have soundclips there.
Quote by ele1122

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/overdrives/Dec-06/24670 has soundclips. They are quick liberal with the distortion though for the clips. The fulltone can be really subtle and still sound fantastic.

It gives a very natural sounding overdrive, which is great for adding grit to a tone. The boost channel is also great for getting into fairly thick overdrive ranges, though it doesn't do heavy distortion or fuzz.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
the Humanity: I'm using Rotosounds that I put on almost a month ago. QUOTE]
good man! that's how I lose my growl every time, so i thought I'd ask. good luck!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by gm jack
Fulltone Bass Drive and the Sansamp are generally regarded as the best overdrives onthe market.

I bought a Fulltone based solely on recommendations and I think it is worth far more than I payed for it.

Ditto this, its fantastic, and it has full bypass unlike a lot of pedals so you lose none of your volume or tone. Its expensive but soooo unbelievable.
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??