ok i have everything ready to sand the paint off my guitar but i a few thoughts came to mind.

1. should i prep to paint right after sanding or can i wait a while after sanding before i paint?

2. if i dont paint right away after sanding the guitar do i need to sand again before painting?

3. would practicing painting on other woods be a good idea to get a feel for the paint gun and the colors ill use?

4. i have a 100, 220, and 320 sand paper to use on it. i use the 100 to sand off the paint, then sand the wood with the 220 and 320..correct?

and

5. if i sand and paint the guitar to completion what i can i do to store the guitar properly and make sure nothing happens to it and no dust gets on it?

thanks
1. you can wait
2. no
3. it probably wouldnt hurt
4. yes but you dont have to go all the way down to the wood unless you were going to stain it
just rough the surface so the paint has something to stick to
5. hang it on something by one of the holes in the neck pocket. hang it in a room where it wont be bothered
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
#4---how do you rough it when the sand paper is supposed to sanding it smooth?
When a guitar is shiny, it has been sanded and polished SO smooth with such fine grits of sandpaper (like 8000) that new paint won't stick to it. You aren't so much making it rough, as making it less smooth.

It will still feel smooth to you, but on an almost microscopic level it actually quite rough once you sand it.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Look at the build in my sig. Look at the first pictures then the one after I sanded it, thats all it needs to look like.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by Øttər
When a guitar is shiny, it has been sanded and polished SO smooth with such fine grits of sandpaper (like 8000) that new paint won't stick to it. You aren't so much making it rough, as making it less smooth.

It will still feel smooth to you, but on an almost microscopic level it actually quite rough once you sand it.

no dude.

its probably sanded with 1200, or 2400 (highly doubtful unless professionally hand made). then buffed.

you can scuff the paint with 220, then 320, spray a primer, level that, then spray your new coats.
You can sand it to whatever grit you want, actually. And, buffing does the same job as sanding. It takes the scratches in the surface and makes them smaller and smaller, until you can no longer see them, thus the shine.

And, if you are painting a similar colour, or darker colour, you don't need to spend extra cash on primer.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
so is there a time limit to each one (220 and 320)? like do you do 220 more then 320 to make it still kind of rough or what?
does it sanding have a feel i should look for? is there a number of times i should be going over the guitar with the sander?
Quote by DarkBeta
does it sanding have a feel i should look for? is there a number of times i should be going over the guitar with the sander?

I just used 150 grit, with a few passes of the sanding block the glossy-ness went away.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪