Ok, I'm planning my next build, and I was wondering, what are some popular scale lengths, what fret numbers popularly go with them, and what is the difference between them?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I think longer scale lengths have more tension on the strings. Please correct me if I'm wrong though. I know of 25.5" and thats about it really
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
uhhh....

25.5 fender, 25 PRS, 25.4 martin, 24 3/4 gibson, 26 1/8 (i think) classical guitar...

the longer the scale length the tighter the string tension and bigger the frets, shorter scale lengths the strings are floppier and smaller frets.

my favorite is 25'' because you get a good mix of the two most popular.
Quote by LP Addict
uhhh....

25.5 fender, 25 PRS, 25.4 martin, 24 3/4 gibson, 26 1/8 (i think) classical guitar...

the longer the scale length the tighter the string tension and bigger the frets, shorter scale lengths the strings are floppier and smaller frets.

my favorite is 25'' because you get a good mix of the two most popular.

this sums it up. But Gibson actually uses 24 9/16, or something like that.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
yeah, their machines keep changing when they change factories, "not intentionally"...

i hate the way gibsons play, even before i knew about scale lengths it felt like i was playing floppy gross strings.
Oh ok. That seems wierd to me... I like tight strings, and the strings on my friends squier seem much "floppier" than the ones on my gibson.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
he may have a lighter gauge set of strings on it
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by LP Addict
yeah, their machines keep changing when they change factories, "not intentionally"...

i hate the way gibsons play, even before i knew about scale lengths it felt like i was playing floppy gross strings.

I read that gibsons actually don't intonate well because the scale length is 24.75 up to the 12th fret, then changes-which makes correct intonation impossible.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
yah according to the fender/gibson scales your friends squier should actually have a longer scale length and therefore tighter strings than your gibson not looser so he probably just uses a different guage
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
Quote by oneblackened
I read that gibsons actually don't intonate well because the scale length is 24.75 up to the 12th fret, then changes-which makes correct intonation impossible.

you read terrible information. the scale length is perfectly accurate. its gibson for christ sakes, you can get a correct scale length CnC file off of google. They dont intonate well because of high-frets/loose strings (press down too hard and your note is off), the ToM bridges dont give much forgiveness on intonation either.
Quote by LP Addict
you read terrible information. the scale length is perfectly accurate. its gibson for christ sakes, you can get a correct scale length CnC file off of google. They dont intonate well because of high-frets/loose strings (press down too hard and your note is off), the ToM bridges dont give much forgiveness on intonation either.

Then again it WAS Ed Roman, the most famous Company-basher ever.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
yeah, i know the dude. he wanted me to come out for an apprenticeship.

las vegas is gay.

i was not interested, and i don't think i like the dude too much.

plus im not a big fan of CNCing my guitars start to finish.