I'm trying to learn Rylynn and noticed the tuning is must higher on the A string. It's tuned up to C. I've never actually dealt with high tunings over a half-step. I have the string at B but I'm worried the string will snap because it seems way too tight (I have no extra acoustic strings on me either and I am too lazy to get my ass over to a store. :P). Someone please tell me the tab made a mistake because the tuning says:
D - Lower
A - Lower
G - Standard
D - Standard
C
E - Standard

The tuning is easily obtainable except for the C... I probably should have checked if it is actually suppose to be tuned to A before I made this post but I will do that after. :P

Anyway, what I'm asking is, am I suppose to be able to get that high without snapping or is it a typo?
Tune it back to B. Play the song, see if it sounds right.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
that tuning looks weird as hell
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
you can never get "too high"
Nerdo-sez-bo wrote:

Bon Jovi can just **** off really.

Life is one big question when your starin at the clock
And the answers always waiting at the liquor store, 40 oz to Freedom
Hmm... i would be a bit nervous tuning up that high too. What guage strings do you have and how old are they? Thicker strings like mediums hold up much better... as do new strings.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
yeah i would much rather use a capo than tune one of my strings to that pitch one and a half steps isnt impossible with a wound string but that just doesnt look right.
i haven't ever messed with learning this song so i cannot comment on the accuracy of the tuning... but i can say that you should be able to tune your A string up 3 semitones without any problem. you should not encounter any problems with the string breaking or anything.
I have tuned to ECDGAD without any problems. I dont know how to play Rylynn but he has written other songs in that tuning so id say its accurate.
As has been mentioned, I wouldnt try it if your strings are old. Other than that though, it should be fine.
In actual reply to the thread, too high is when your string breaks, thats a pretty way to measure tension.

If you can try having a spare pack of strings in case a string gnaps but other than that its pretty much self testing when your tuning
seriously man, you aren't going to break your A string by tuning 3 semitones up. no offense, but i don't care how old your strings or what anybody else says.
I have this song and you just tune to ECDGAD and place a capo on strings 3-6 on the 5th fret. Tune up for C (it won't snap). Difficult song too good luck.
A) If you're not sure, take the risk. That's how you should learn.

B) 3 semitones isn't that big of a leap. You should be fine.
Gibson 335 > Your mother.
Quote by LynchMobster
you can never get "too high"

LOL exactly what I was thinking when I read the thread title. I vote to change the thread name to 'How taught is too taught" or "How much is too much tension" to avoid any further.. confusions ()
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
but remember like gallagher said dont smoke pot when your already stoned you dont get higher just lower on weed. BONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and just to be relevant yeah what jimtaka said do it tune up.
i've tuned to that tuning to try to play Rylynn before. i was nervous as hell with the A going up to C. but it worked i just tuned it up slowly. then when i was done playing i tuned my A string back down really fast and low and behold the D string broke... go figure.
Quote by anita prs bad
but remember like gallagher said dont smoke pot when your already stoned you dont get higher just lower on weed. BONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a mistake we have all done, and are all susceptible to do, even the best of us.