If you were to have a combo with one speaker, in what ways would it be a disadvantage to 2 or more speakers?

That is, how would the sound of a 60w tube with one speaker compare to a 60w tube amp with 2 or 4 speakers, for instance
yesterday i was jamming with my old chorus teacher from middle school and he has his crazy ass custom thing running into a 2x12. my fender hot rod deluxe is only a 1x12

he said that my amp sounds more like a cranked amp than his does because he had the extra speaker

hope that helped

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
yesterday i was jamming with my old chorus teacher from middle school and he has his crazy ass custom thing running into a 2x12. my fender hot rod deluxe is only a 1x12

he said that my amp sounds more like a cranked amp than his does because he had the extra speaker

hope that helped

He's talking about power tube saturation, which results at lower volumes from lower wattages, not fewer or smaller speakers.

The primary difference between a 1x12 and a 2x12 with the same wattage is that the 2x12 will generally sound fuller, bassier, and less compressed.
I've heard that having two speakers "spreads out the sound" for what that's worth, lol
Ive heard that more speakers works better for phasers and flangers or whatever.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Two speakers probably work better for phasing and flanging if they're in a stereo configuration. At least that would be my assumption, but the phaser or flanger would have to have stereo out.
well it really only matters when your playing by yourself. like with me, i have one speaker, i when i play live im mic'd up. so even if i had one million speakers, i would still only mic one of them. and when im in the studio, you still only mic one speaker.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I had a Fender Concert 60W tube amp with a single speaker, sounded great. In fact, it was too loud for me, which is why I no longer have it. Have a 1x12 Vox AC30 now. Non-traditional, to be sure, but a great sounding amp. One of the great things about a single speaker amp is that there's only one speaker to replace! I managed a very nice upgrade for my Vox for just $150 rather than $300.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i tried my jubilee 2x12 with 1 speaker from my dsl401 and i couldnt hear any difference between 1 and 2 speakers, it was only a quick low volume test though
Depend on the way its wired if wired in a series then your 2 speakers would be 3 dB louder than just having one, if parallel then there would be no volume difference. Most 212 Cabs/combos are wire parallel so the only thing gained is a larger sweet spot in which you can hear your self on stage. With a 412 cab ussually they are wired both in a series and parralel you end up gaining 3 dB. But if wired in a series you would get a 6 dB gain, so it really all depends on the wiring and personally perference/needs. For most 112 cab is more than enough as long as you have enough power.
Quote by Johnbryant
Depend on the way its wired if wired in a series then your 2 speakers would be 3 dB louder than just having one, if parallel then there would be no volume difference. Most 212 Cabs/combos are wire parallel so the only thing gained is a larger sweet spot in which you can hear your self on stage. With a 412 cab ussually they are wired both in a series and parralel you end up gaining 3 dB. But if wired in a series you would get a 6 dB gain, so it really all depends on the wiring and personally perference/needs. For most 112 cab is more than enough as long as you have enough power.

I've never even heard of anything like that. The only thing that I know of that changes whether you wire in series or parallel is the impedance. Can someone verify this?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
I've never even heard of anything like that. The only thing that I know of that changes whether you wire in series or parallel is the impedance. Can someone verify this?

You're right.

Whichever way you wire them, they'll be the same volume.
I have a 2x12 combo but given the choice I think I'd take a 1x12 version of the same amp if there was one, even though I love the way the 2x12 sounds it's a pain to lug around.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I think the disadvantages of having two speakers out weighs any advantage. What's the point of more bass when the bassist is just gonna drown those frequencies out? Why would you need to spread the sound a little bit more? Most clubs will have a PA anyways.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Its mainly about bottom end to be honest. More speaker cone area = more air moved. Which only really makes a audible difference on the lower frequencies.

There is the issue of projection as well bit its all about the bass in my opinion.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
^Agreed. The bassist should be drowning out the lower freqs anyways. Consider sweet child of mine, slash is super trebley in that song but it works. Why? Because it sounds right once the bass kicks in.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not