I put my squire up after christmas because i got an ovation now my squire won't stay in tune it changes before i even play. Can some tell me whats wrong and if theres a quick fix for it?
Quote by PSN:PUREMETAL
I put my squire up after christmas because i got an ovation now my squire won't stay in tune it changes before i even play. Can some tell me whats wrong and if theres a quick fix for it?

Check that the neck isnt slightly bent.

EDIT: Did you lean it against a wall for all that time?
Might wanna fix the truss rod
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
The neck looks straight to me. How would i Change the truss rod? I know where it's at and have an allen key but thich way should i turn it? And the squire was a gift from my aunt.
Okay I see three possible slutions to your problem.

1. Change your strings.
2. Have a PROFESSIONAL adjust your truss rod.
3. Get a not-squier.
Well me and my buddies are bringing our electrics to school tommorow and i need to have mine fixed. So can some give me instructions on how to fix the tuss rod?
The neck looks straight to me. How would i Change the truss rod? I know where it's at and have an allen key but thich way should i turn it? And the squire was a gift from my aunt.

It shouldn't be totally straight, it should have a slight backbow. Fret the 1st fret and the 13th fret. There should be a small space between the fretboard and the string.

Unless you know what you're doing, please DON'T mess with the truss rod and there's nothing wrong with properly set up Squiers.

Most tuners, including the ones on inexpensive guitars, are pretty reliable and don't suffer backlash. Yes, some are junk, but consider tuners are far from rocket science.

Check out http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html. Follow it to the letter and chances are, it'll eliminate the problem.

Yeah there is a bit of a backbow. My bridge looks a bit weird It's not straigt and two little peices are sideways.
Quote by Ippon
Unless you know what you're doing, please DON'T mess with the truss rod

+1

If you overadjust the truss rod, you could permanently mess up your guitar. When I say permanently mess it up, Im talking break your guitars neck in two.

For tommorrow, just tune it right before you play. It shouldn't be too big of an issue, unless its dropping almost half a step.

The easiest solution to this problem would be to just change your strings. If you've had the thing sitting since christmas, Im assuming you haven't chagned the strings since then. You should try to change them once a month or so.
Yeah there is a bit of a backbow. My bridge looks a bit weird It's not straigt and two little peices are sideways.

hmm.. could you be a bit more descriptive.. maybe a picture? i have a squire strat sitting right here, i can compare
Quote by Crimzin3
The Myth: Mesa amps were given to us by God, and sound as such.
The Truth: True. God is the CEO and Jesus does QC at Mesa...yup.

my pic is too lare i gotta down size it
Last edited by PSN:PUREMETAL at May 29, 2008,
you might want to change the strings
my friend had the same problem with his acoustic
tighten the screws on the back of your bridge
that should bring the A and low E in tighter and straighten out those blocks

im assuming its just those 2 strings that are jacked up?
yes if that happens to be the case i'll tighten the screws up now thanks.

no problem
make sure your bridge isnt lifted.

i think someone mentioned the spring screws there^^
i'm hoping he was talking about the two screws in the trem cavity, you can find them after flipping over the guitar and taking off the back cover.
*edit: in rereading, i think he was talking about the intonation screws. that adjusts tuning along the board and should not be adjusted unless intonating.

you cant keep a guitar in tune if the bridge isnt balanced. and on lower end guitars, that usually means a tight bridge, flush against the body.

do that, then we can talk about adjusting the saddles, i can see are all lop sided.

and then we can measure the neck's relief.

the saddles are the lop sided parts, they should be level (use a tiny allen wrench on the two pegs on the front face of each saddle) but that's not what's causing your guitar to fall out of tune.

old strings, lifted bridge, bad tuning technique, contact points needing lube, all cause tuning problems.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at May 29, 2008,
I don't plan on using this guitar much longer. I did as aedmiston suggested and it worked but my G string has horrible buzzing any idea what this is from this is the only string now that falls out of tune.
Quote by jj1565
make sure your bridge isnt lifted.

i think someone mentioned the spring screws there^^
i'm hoping he was talking about the two screws in the trem cavity, you can find them after flipping over the guitar and taking off the back cover.
*edit: in rereading, i think he was talking about the intonation screws. that adjusts tuning along the board and should not be adjusted unless intonating.

you cant keep a guitar in tune if the bridge isnt balanced. and on lower end guitars, that usually means a tight bridge, flush against the body.

do that, then we can talk about adjusting the saddles, i can see are all lop sided.

and then we can measure the neck's relief.

the saddles are the lop sided parts, they should be level (use a tiny allen wrench on the two pegs on the front face of each saddle) but that's not what's causing your guitar to fall out of tune.

old strings, lifted bridge, bad tuning technique, contact points needing lube, all cause tuning problems.

This post is full of win.

This to this one, and you'll be good to go.
Quote by Crimzin3
The Myth: Mesa amps were given to us by God, and sound as such.
The Truth: True. God is the CEO and Jesus does QC at Mesa...yup.

I don't plan on using this guitar much longer. I did as aedmiston suggested and it worked but my G string has horrible buzzing any idea what this is from this is the only string now that falls out of tune.

that sounds like an issue with the action
i dont know what to do for that, you'd have to take it to a tech
and that can get rather expensive
^^

if you are adjusting the intonation screw in an attempt to keep the guitar in tune, you're not going to be in tune anywhere on the board.

as for buzzing. your saddles are all lop sided and too low.

use the tiny allen wrench to lower saddle pegs and lift the saddles of the buzzing strings.

#3 adjusts action
#2 adjusts intonation.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at May 29, 2008,
I fixed it it was the pick-up. Thanks for the help, I love you guys in a non homo sortof way... lol.
yeah ok. good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

no problem
cheap guitars can be a bitch sometimes
i want a rickenbacker
too bad theyre $2000