I usually get really sad sounding bluesy solos when I'm playing. I mostly use the minor blues pentatonic scale and the major one. Any tips on how I should move around the fretboard to make them sound happier?
Quote by Bradexman
I usually get really sad sounding bluesy solos when I'm playing. I mostly use the minor blues pentatonic scale

That may be why...
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
major scales are great to use for pretty much anything
especially happy things
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Quote by Yngwi3
That may be why...

but when i use the major it sounds like that too. I think it may have something to do with my fingering. How do you usually move your fingers when you're playing a happier sounding solo?
Quote by edusty2010
Major scales... Phrasing is more of it than scales tho (IMO) because if you're good at phrasing it's not hard to make even a minor scale sound happy and upbeat.

how should I phrase it though?
well actually if you only know the minor scale shapes you can still make it sound happy. The overall sound comes from which notes you start on and what you sustain. But yeah knowing how to fit major scales into your improv would definately help
For a quick fix, play the minor pentatonic of the key three frets below, so play in Em pentatonic over a G progresion. You'll actually be playing in G major pentatonic that way. Playing a minor scale over a blues progression will give you an overall minor tonality, both from your lead parts and the chord progression.

Ideally though, just play the full major scale - listen to Brian May for some brilliant examples, Killer Queen and Bohemian Rhapsody have some great major licks in them. Your key interval is the major third, make good use of that for guaranteed happy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at May 30, 2008,
Try to sing along ! You ill look dumb in beginning , but all the master blues players sings when they want a really vocal tone to their lines. BB , SRV , Robben Ford , Buddy and a lot other guys. You can see when they play live , those really melodies.

Bye dude.
try hitting the root notes of the chord as they change whilst using your ordinary scales
Shut up and play your guitar!
Quote by Bradexman
I usually get really sad sounding bluesy solos when I'm playing. I mostly use the minor blues pentatonic scale and the major one. Any tips on how I should move around the fretboard to make them sound happier?

Down a fifth of scotch before playing and the fretboard will move on its own.
Chorduroy.

Lol i dunno how to quote on this but lol that was. Lol great line man!
Quote by Ed782
Chorduroy.

Lol i dunno how to quote on this but lol that was. Lol great line man!

Thanks. Originally I was gonna say pass the bottle around to the audience, but that could get expensive.

[Just pump the "quote" button at the bottom of the other person's message. You can revise your own messages using the "edit" patch.]
Thanks. Originally I was gonna say pass the bottle around to the audience, but that could get expensive.

lol dude i love you!
Slick Willy grabbed your ass? Niiiiice.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣