(I hope this is in the right place, sorry if it isnt). Anyway the back of my guitar neck is like a plasticy kinda feel compared to my other guitar. Its a Gibson LP studio, and the back of it is polished black. It looks cool but when playing it it gets hard to slide and move around because it starts rubbing against your hand creating resistance. Is there something that can help get rid of this? Ive tried many things and none of them helped. Im thinking about either just sanding it down or selling it to get a different guitar. I bought it a while ago new and its always been like this. I figured maybe it would fade or something but it still hasnt.

p.s. yes i tried a guitar cleaner and that didnt work either
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
get car paint polish and rub it in very hard with a polishing clogth

it may sound wierd but it makes the clear coat smoth and shinny. i assume it is painted so it should do the same.

if that doesn't work buff it wiht polish

polish is suppose to heat the paint up and help smooth out imperfections

and this is the wrong place so *reported*
song stuck in my head today

Quote by lbc_sublime
get car paint polish and rub it in very hard with a polishing clogth

it may sound wierd but it makes the clear coat smoth and shinny. i assume it is painted so it should do the same.

if that doesn't work buff it wiht polish

polish is suppose to heat the paint up and help smooth out imperfections

k thanks ill try that

Quote by lbc_sublime

and this is the wrong place so *reported*

Bah, i figured it was after i went back to the main forum page. I know where to post it now >.< Haha thanks
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
Dude dont report him it was a mistake geez, either way most people call me crazy for this but sand with some sand paper.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
you really just want to remove the gloss without removing paint

1000 grit sandpaper, maybe followed by 2000 grit if you want it reaaalllyy smooth

rubbing compound afterwards if you desire
1992 Ibanez JS6
LesPaul Studio pewter
Fender Strat Lite Ash
Yamaha APX-3
Quote by Sound_Garden_X
Dude dont report him it was a mistake geez, either way most people call me crazy for this but sand with some sand paper.

first of all he understands this is a forum for music theory

second if you to do that you want 2000 grit and wet it

wet sanding is very good you don't want to take to much off just enouph to take away the orange peel from the paint.make it even. it makes it look more like a piece of glass or miror

but even with this you have to polish it because it will leave marks in the paint and the polish will smooth these out and fix the imperfections. it gets rid of the chalky look from sanding

my work wet sands car paint all the time it looks so good
song stuck in my head today

It's because the neck is coated with gloss. If I were you I would sand the off the gloss on the neck but leave it in place on the headstock, no point in taking it off there. Make sure you use progressively finer grit and don't forget to wet sand for a nice smooth finish.
Ain't nothin wrong, ain't nothin right, and still I sit and lie awake all night...
I think this is right... *moved* from Musician Talk to Guitar Building and Customization.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
very fine steel wool
i think it says "ridiculously fine, like i could sand a baby with this and itd be ok" wool
before you go damaging your guitars finish on a comparatively difficult item to replace (not quite the bolt on fender simplicity here) to test out something i dont think anyone here has said they've actually tried before.... I would try a multi stage polish and buffing to remove any imperfections and gloss up the paint. If its clear coat over a base, polishing the clear will make it feel soft and your hand (sans grime and sweat) should slide across it very easily.

If that doesn't work, at least you havent done anything rash yet. Unless you truly feel attached to that guitar.. i would sell it and find one that you really enjoy.

As for the final option... i would get some masking tape... mask off the areas you dont want touched then wet sand progressively with 600, 800, then 1000-1500. That will remove any orange peel or minor imperfections and should matte finish the neck with out any noticeable sanding marks. Doing anything else after sanding like buffing or polishing will only bring back what you were trying to eliminate. leave it, pull your masking, and see how you like it.

just a painters 2 pennies.
What I play:
CustomShop '51 Nocaster Relic
'88 "C" neck Clapton Strat
'08 Strat HSH
Fender Princeton Recording Amp
Boss Micro-BR