Pit monkeys, I has a problem. I'm in a musical rut and I can't break out of it, it's like I play the same thing just in different key, and it's really beginning to make me angry. Any ideas?
Quote by el-ECTRO
If your child can breathe, suspect drugs. Only people who breathe take drugs. People who cannot breathe still can, but it is increasingly difficult.
im also in a rut.
It really sucks.
I really want to break out of mine also,
But im not sure how to.
When I try to create something new, its bland and unsatisfying.
Quote by joehhy
i will use my lvl 90 Golduck against the evil 4chans, they will not stand a chance

Quote by Led Pepplin
My penis is quite literally trembling in fear.

FLOCKDRAW!!!!!!! EPICS!!!!!
I find that watching guitarists on youtube brings out the competitive spark in me, making me want to get better than them.

Try learning new songs, or a new scale to improvise with.

Maybe also try listening to some new bands/guitarists.
Everyone becomes a genius when they join UG

Talk to these guys.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by Godzillolz
I find that watching guitarists on youtube brings out the competitive spark in me, making me want to get better than them.

Try learning new songs, or a new scale to improvise with.

Maybe also try listening to some new bands/guitarists.

Aye. You just need to find something the motivates you.
same thing happens to me. try listening to different types of music and practicing slow chord progressions and riffs
DECRESCENDO
listen to ALOT of different kind of music, imo that is what makes a good musician, one that has at least some technical knowledge of their instrument and they are influenced by many many styles of music
yes try to expand your musicl taste. i used to be pure metalhead, not to say that i am not anymore lol, but now i listen to classical, blues, rock, punk, goth, emo, folk, jazz, techno. and anything else that has guitar or piano. and know i am the best guitarist i know. that and the fact i practice 6 hours a day. lol
I did the same thing. I pretty much always played in E minor. Loved the hell out of it and kicked ass, but I pretty much always played the same thing. I simply moved to the E major. And, because it's a different pattern, I played different.

My assumption: You are playing in one scale, all the time. Move to something completely different. Try to work on your modes and expand a little bit.

If not: Listen to new music. Every since I got into Steve Vai and Satch, I play a lot different.

I was in a box: I was pretty much sticking in a single box with the Em scale. Find that scale ALL around the fretboard and move around in all the boxes. It's fun to crawl around the neck!
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.