I was just wondering if you guys had any insight as to how the renowned guitarists practiced when they were beginners. Did they sit for hours like robots and practice just scales going up and down or did they noodle around with them and sorta improvise with em? I'm just wondering because I have found it incredibly hard to just sit and practice playing up and down scales. Most of the time when I practice, I just try to improvise all around with the scales. Is the detrimental at all? Thanks
^ Not much of a talker are ya?
rockadoodle, there's nothing wrong with playing scales, as long as that's not the only thing you're trying to learn. Along with the scales, learn how to break out of each box shape for that particular scale and move seamlessly into the next. That's the real trick to being able to play lead, besides hitting all the notes precisely.
Practice bends, hammers and pulls too.
Some of the legendary guitarists of the past were professionally taught from a very young age. They were given the basics, but had a rigid learning program that they needed to follow. There's nothing saying that a self taught guitarist can't become great, but it's much harder to discipline yourself to do the required practice routines day in and day out. If you have an instructor there nagging on you to do it again and again, then you are more likely to do it.
I've said this before in other threads, but did you know that Randy Rhodes, long after he became famous with Quiet Riot and then Ozzy, would continually take lessons while on tour? He would stop in at local music stores in some of the cities and towns across the country and take a lesson or two. See, he knew that no matter how much you know, there's always someone else out there that knows more, or something different, about guitaring, and so he expanded his knowledge of guitaring by doing this.
So, long story short. You might benefit from taking a few professional lessons now and then. If for no other reason than to broaden your horizons in guitaring. Good luck to ya!
let me ask you something leftydave...

what comes after practicing bar chords, scales, bends, and hammer ons?
practicing them more and branching out into different chord and scale shapes.

That and learning songs you like, from any genre, and training your ear.
if u wanna get really good then practise.....ALOT....play stuff u love and always challenge urself....open urself to new things too(techniques, genres)...and have fun with it....dont let it become a job
my gear lol:
a crappy cheap aria pro II
a patch chord that only werks when i jiggle it
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru
You can play Classical Gas after a year? I think we have a prodigy on our hands.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
Sweep picking after only 1 year of playing? O_o
How did they do it?
In prehistory there was no readiy available sheet music, no internet.

They just sat with a record they loved, a guitar and worked it out by ear. Does my bloody head in!!!
Quote by Stillth3sameg
let me ask you something leftydave...

what comes after practicing bar chords, scales, bends, and hammer ons?

Whatever you like. Lead work for one if you're into that. Branch off into other areas of playing, meaning different styles, like classical, country, jazz. Learn songs. Whole songs, not just parts of them, or just intro's to them, but the whole thing. Play along with other people too. It's a huge boost to your ego to have someone better than you tell you that you're doing good when playing along with other instruments.
The absolute most important part of playing guitar is purely to have fun doing it. If it becomes a chore, or is tedius because all you're doing is the same thing over and over again, like practicing scales non-stop, then you need to add some fun stuff into the mix. You have to feel good about doing it, or what's the point?
I've been playing acoustic and electric guitar for years, and I now have a hankering to learn to play the mandolin. I have no idea why other than I think it would be a fun little instrument to learn to play.