I've got a Fender 2 Channel Twin (NOT the Twin Reverb, everybody always gets these confused) and it's great for what it does. My birthday is coming up and I got really great grades at easily the hardest highschool in my city and I've been saving up so I think I'm going to get a Marshall 1987x head. I was thinking about some stuff and I came up with the brilliant/not so brilliant idea of using my Twin as a cab for the Marshall. That would work wouldn't it? Theres a power amp input on the back of the Twin as well as a preamp out. So would I just plug the Marshall into the power amp in of the Twin? Would the Twin become, in essentials, a master volume for the Marshall so I could drive the Marshall hard and turn it down so my ears wouldnt bleed? What are some the sound drawbacks or other drawbacks you can think of?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

that is a genius idea, i hope it works out for you

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
that is a genius idea, i hope it works out for you

oh come on, I'm just thinkng. This is why I haven't done it yet. Anybody have some real input?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

im still trying to find out why your grades are relevant...
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Cuz if I get good grades my parents give me stuff.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

You don't plug a head into a combo...
It'll work just fine. I've done this quite a few times - it's called slaving.

You'll need to keep a load on the head though.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
but you said you were buying it......

anyway, i think you can as long as the fender is the same or higher wattage and the ohms match. you have to plug the head into the fender's speakers
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Yea you can do it as long as the Ohms match up and the speakers aren't hardwired to the amp. If it were me I'd just sell the Fender and get a cab, unless of course you like the Fender.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
but you said you were buying it......

anyway, i think you can as long as the fender is the same or higher wattage and the ohms match. you have to plug the head into the fender's speakers

Read his post again...he said he was using his Marshall into the Fender's power amp.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by VoodooCow229
oh come on, I'm just thinkng. This is why I haven't done it yet. Anybody have some real input?

i was serious man, if it works for you then im gonna do that until i can afford a cab!

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

What do you mean keep a load on the head?
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by MortifiedLizard
Read his post again...he said he was using his Marshall into the Fender's power amp.

actually no. the power amp of the Marshall goes into the Fender because there's a power amp in on the Fender. Sorry, if I got that mixed up on my first post.

EDIT: my bad...double post...
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
What do you mean keep a load on the head?

If you power a valve amp on, and there's no load on the output (like speakers or a dummy load), you'll blow the amp.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by diditfortehlulz
If you power a valve amp on, and there's no load on the output (like speakers or a dummy load), you'll blow the amp.

Yup, you can do it on SS amps too though.

What you need to do is disconnect the speaker from the combo, then plug it into the Marshall. Plugging it into the preamp in part will mean you just lost $2000.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com