Ok, not sure if this is the right forum to post this but I was wondering if there were any restrictions for having your guitar as luggage?

I live in PA, and might be planning on going to California sometime this year. I definitely wanna take my guitar and stuff with me. Just curious if there is anything I should consider doing? Also any good advice for packing my guitar?

Thanks.
myspace.com/realignedriffs
myspace.com/anthony4458

Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top
GHS Boomers 0.11
VOX AD50VT
Digitech Rp70
Dunlop CryBaby
Call the airline and ask about restrictions on dementions. Pad the guitar like crazy, you know how airline workers sometimes slam bags.
Take your acoustic guitar,since you probably don't want to lug an electric+an amp along with you. Use a hardshell case, and lock your case if you can.

EDITon't bring an expensive one. If you bring something valuable, you might up like Jimmy Page in the 70's airport incident.
detune the strings and put socks by the headstock, take it on as carry-on unless you have a flight case. If you check it make sure your case is actually a flight case and make sure its locked. carry-on is the best way to go, just put it in the overhead compartment. I've flown mine to boston, la, nashville, kansas city, and austin and never had an issue with taking it as carry-on.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
When you get to the entrance of the plane tell the flight attendant you want to gate check your guitar
Quote by exect4500
When you get to the entrance of the plane tell the flight attendant you want to gate check your guitar

I've always refused to have mine checked, there was only one time where they had to keep it in the front of the plane instead of directly overhead, and I couldve fit it overhead if i had needed to.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
If you decide to bring an amp, then put it in a cardboard box and pad it with paper. Then mark "This way up" with an arrow on the side and "Fragile" as well. Tape the top and bottom like crazy. Then you should be good to go.
Also of note, if your guitar has a Floyd Rose Tremolo system, then make sure you reset it after followin mercedesisbenz's instructions. I'd definitely follow them, as especially with a Floyd Rose, you'd have more problems than if you didn't follow his instructions.
I saw a guy on an airplane recently with an acoustic guitar as his carry-on item. No case or anything, he was just carrying it. Not sure what he actually did with it during the flight, but he did get to take it on with him. It was on a Southwest Airlines flight.
Wow, thanks for the info guys. I'll definitely come back here before I make any plans to fly.
myspace.com/realignedriffs
myspace.com/anthony4458

Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top
GHS Boomers 0.11
VOX AD50VT
Digitech Rp70
Dunlop CryBaby
Last year I flew from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh on Southwest Airlines and they let me take my guitar as a carry-on. I have a nice hardshell case, and it fit in the overhead. There was actually another person on the plane who also had a guitar in a hard-shell case, but he got on the plane a lot later than I did, so there was no overhead space. The stewardess was really nice and kept it with them in the back of the plane.