Hey, my band is getting ready to start playing at some parties in our area. But people have been asking how much we charge. I don't want to charge so much that we won't get any more gigs, but I definitely want to make some money. I was just wondering how much you guys charge to play at a party. What is a reasonable price?
Last edited by GRENDLES_BS at May 30, 2008,
if you play for like 3 hours i say $100 for each person in the band at least
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
I'd say like $300 or so is reasonable, pretty cheap but it really depends onwhat kind of a party it is, and how big it is
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
lol good luck guyz, u can play a bar venue and only get paid 50 bucks a person, obv u gyuz have never played gigs, i would say like 20 a person in the band for a house party
There are 4 people in the band. And I really have no idea how many people will be at the parties..... And for the last guy that posted, we actually have played gigs... just haven't been paid for them, lol.
Last edited by GRENDLES_BS at May 30, 2008,
I would play for free, or for food or drinks. The important thing is to get your band known.
If you start getting repeat gigs, then you can charge.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
I would play for free, or for food or drinks. The important thing is to get your band known.
If you start getting repeat gigs, then you can charge.

yup either be really cheap or free the important part is getting gigs to get ur name out there
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
Play for free, but if they offer to pay you then $100 for the whole band is pretty reasonable. Don't expect much more.
If its just a party with people you know, free or no more than 100-150 depending on how much they want you to play, and how good mates you are.
But a couple bottles of bourbon or something would probablt do just as well.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
If you want to do it professionaly, figure out how much the gig is costing you in expenses, petrol, vehicle hire, any equipment hire costs such as PA, food, drink, ect.
Then come up with an hourly rate for yourselves, the best way to do this is to just use the average hourly rate for most call out jobs in your area such as a plumber for example.
Your pay should be your hourly rate multiplied by the amount of guys in the band, multiplied by how many hours you play, plus an extra hour for setting up and an extra hour for stripping down the gear, plus however long it takes you to get there (hardly worth anything for a local gig, but if you're playing out of town and doing a lot of traveling, can build up to quite an amount) plus your expenses.

If you are just playing for buddies, play for expenses, free beer and whatever other rider they wish to give you.

I once played a gig where the management insisted on paying us with free beer rather than giving us money, at the end of the night, we were all legless, but we'd drunk so much beer that the management said they wished they'd just given us the average price for a band.... it would have been cheaper.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at May 30, 2008,
Well, if you guys are just a crappy local band that plays Sweet Child O Mine and some other famous cover tunes, I doubt anyone will want to pay you 300 dollars. Depending on if there is beer, just say you want as much free beer as you want. If there is no beer (which is pretty ironic considering this is a party) I would say charge 100 dollars total and that might even be a little high considering you guys are 16 and most 16 year olds probably don't have 100 dollars just laying around to pay for a band to play at their party. I would say just take free beer and food and if you want to charge money don't make it expensive.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Honestly dude, if an amateur 16 year old band tried to pull that shit on me I'd tell them to go fuck themselves. This isn't the Stones, they don't even HAVE to get paid, I'd be doing them a favor by allowing them to play at my party and I'd most likely compensate them with free beer. You say that as if every 16 year old just has hundreds of dollars they can blow on a crappy band to play at their party. And what 50 dollars to set up and do sound check? They aren't travelling across the country, or moving huge stacks of amps. It'll take no more than 5 to 10 minutes to load the 2 or 3 amps and drum kit from their mother's minivan to the playing area.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
If you guys aren't well known in your area you should play for food and drink. The possible publicity from a good show makes up for the money.
Quote by thedefrockednun
id say $100 per hour and $50 for having to set up and do soundcheck

?

Honestly unless its Gullible Johnsons party just do it for free or at least a 20 for petrol.
Honestly dude, if an amateur 16 year old band tried to pull that shit on me I'd tell them to go fuck themselves. This isn't the Stones, they don't even HAVE to get paid, I'd be doing them a favor by allowing them to play at my party and I'd most likely compensate them with free beer. You say that as if every 16 year old just has hundreds of dollars they can blow on a crappy band to play at their party. And what 50 dollars to set up and do sound check? They aren't travelling across the country, or moving huge stacks of amps. It'll take no more than 5 to 10 minutes to load the 2 or 3 amps and drum kit from their mother's minivan to the playing area.

sry i didnt kno they were 16.
if there are hot females at the party you will get paid not only in beer, but also in some mattress mambo
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD

Wow dude. Actually, i think u got this kind of mixed up. People around our area, they know our music, and like it. They have been requesting that us play at parties, and asking how much we wanted. See, they beg us to play at their parties... when we aren't busy recording. And I wouldn't call us a crappy band, I'm sure we're much better than you'll ever be.
I would just accept drugs/alcohol/loose women as payment, very few parties are paying gigs (unless you are a professional cover band)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by GRENDLES_BS
Wow dude. Actually, i think u got this kind of mixed up. People around our area, they know our music, and like it. They have been requesting that us play at parties, and asking how much we wanted. See, they beg us to play at their parties... when we aren't busy recording. And I wouldn't call us a crappy band, I'm sure we're much better than you'll ever be.

hahaha

your modest too

link to recordings?

and your friends have too much money
Quote by GRENDLES_BS

They beg you to play at their parties ? well then you might as well run your "loyal subjects" for all you can get.