k im in a metal band right now and whenever we write songs im always coying the same riff as the other guy and i dont know anything else that i could play thats different we play like death metal / thrashy stuff what kind of things could i add
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
you can add lil licks and solos in between riffs
Quote by kirkisking
Were you like, physically abused as a child or something?

Squier HSS
Jackson Ke2
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss METALZONE
Quote by chea_man
why dont chicks have tits on their back for slow dancing?
because sometimes, my friend, there can be too much of a good thing
Quote by AA00P
Also, harmonize some of your melodies.

yeahha. iron maiden does that it sounds really good
Quote by kirkisking
Were you like, physically abused as a child or something?

Squier HSS
Jackson Ke2
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss METALZONE
Quote by chea_man
why dont chicks have tits on their back for slow dancing?
because sometimes, my friend, there can be too much of a good thing
Talk to your bandmates about adding your own stuff in. Bands like Iron Maiden harmonize all the time. Other ones like Thin Lizzy or Guns N' Roses might throw in their own riffs. Not enough that you're trampling over the main feel, but it puts more in, to make the original more interesting.
Quick!!!! harmonies! I dont really like metal but i like to listen tio the 2 guitarists in ax7 because they have cooo, riffs and the coolest effect using harmoiny. try playing the octave of what hes playing (8 note up) or for a REALLY cool sound play the 5th.
Mal: "Doctor, I'm taking your sister under my protection here. If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears." FIREFLY RULES!!!
A neat trick to try, if you have a simple chord progession, is to try playing it backwards. Start with the chord that you would normaly end on and play the progession the other way around.
This doesn't always work, and it'll be obvious if it doesn't, but when it does, you end up with two guitars playing different things that go together nicely.
And even if it doesn't work, it can quite often give you an idea of something else you can play and inspire you to work on it until it does work.
Quote by kdog215
yeahha. iron maiden does that it sounds really good

so do we but it doesnt sound as good as maiden
Listen to Cynic. Both of their guitarists play diferent lines completely, and tthey go really well together. Just listen to a few of their songs, learn some of them, and try to lift some of those ideas.
Harmonizing is always good.
One of you could play a simple chord progression, and the other could play a melodic tapping line over it. If its not too wanky it'll sound really nice and may be a good thing for a chorus or something. Would sound pretty cool in a death meatal context if you do it right, such as a harmonic minor kind of thing.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
we have the rhythm guitarist play a chord progression and for the intro i solo/harmonize over the chords, then for verses and chorus either we take turns in playing, or play the same or i throw in licks, bridges (a bit like santana but not in a spanish way)