Ok, so I'm looking to get a condenser mic, and check this out: mxl 4000 That's only $199, comes with a free instrument mic worth $129 (mxl 603S), and it says the list price is $1200! wtf?? Has anyone used this mic? Is it worth $200?

I was thinking about getting this: RODE NT-1A for $229 (and I get a free pop filter woo hoo!).

So, can anyone give me a recommendation? Is that MXL a killer deal or total BS?

I'm gonna be recording primarily acoustic guitar, vocals, and violin, maybe some piano but very little. I also already have an SM57, so that free mic with the MXL isn't really necessary, but who doesn't like a free mic? I don't wanna spend much more than what the RODE costs, but if there's a great deal I will consider it. Thanks for the help!!
I haven't used the MXL, so I can't comment on it, but it looks like a nice microphone. The Rode is a nice sounding mic, though.
There is poetry in despair.
The AT 4040 is a good mic, there's a similar model from Audio Technica which is in a lower price range, the 2020 that you might want to have a look at. Never heard of that Shure model.
I'm thinking the NT-1A for what I believe to be a good price/quality ratio.. but I haven't used any of these and am sort of going off of just a few things I have read. Have you used the AT4040 or the NT-1A? I'm thinking I'll go with the NT-1A unless the AT4040 is a pretty significant jump in quality. Thanks for the advice!
Quote by fridge_raider
I haven't used the MXL, so I can't comment on it, but it looks like a nice microphone. The Rode is a nice sounding mic, though.

+1 the NT1A is a great mic and very popular. I would get it over the MXL.

also in tweaks board (linked though my sig) theres the polls and reviews on mics and the NT1A is the most popular in one of the polls.

BTW the list price is always crazy...
Last edited by moody07747 at May 30, 2008,
Yeah, you never actually see anything on sale for the list price. It's bollocks.
Yeah, I know the list price is always high, but it's usually not 6X as high. In this case, it was a grand more on an item for $200.. so I was wondering if it was a good deal. Most items on a lot of sites have the list price at only ~2X as high.

But yeah, I still haven't decided. I'm gonna see if I can test out the 4040 and NT-1A at a store or something. Thanks again for the input guys