I finally got my PRS SE Singlecut today!

It's darn beautiful and I can't take my hands of it:

BUT: I have a question about the truss rod..when I change the strings from 9's to 10's, do I have to adjust the truss rod? and how will I know if I do have to?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Quote by domaraq
it's very nice

Thanks you wouldn't happen to have an answer to my question would you?
If anything, you will need to tighten the truss-rod. When changing string-gauge you change the tension in the neck, in this case, you're adding tension. The neck will be bowed, so you need to turn the truss-rod clock-wise.

It is important that if you do adjust the rod, you shouldn't turn it more than 1/4 turn at a time, letting the neck a few minutes to adjust to the new tension. After this you need to retune, this will give the neck a bit of slack, you might need to repeat these steps a few time, until you get in-tune a have a *slightly* bowed neck. The change of gauge won't require many turns of the rod.
so, basically, after I put the new strings on, I'll
-adjust the truss until...what? til it's not "bowed" anymore? then
retune, then adjust til it's not bowed again? then keep doing that until retuning doesn't make it bow? correct me if I'm wrong..
I check if it's bowed at like the 7th or 8th fret right? and, only after all these adjustments would I do the stretching then retuning of the strings, right?
Right, I forgot about the stretching, you should strech them before touching the rod, if you don't, the strings will give you a hard time when adjusting and retuning since they will tend to strech during this process. Yes, it'll show around the 7-10th fret if there is any bowing.
Quote by penguinsarecool
Thanks you wouldn't happen to have an answer to my question would you?

no
sooory
oh okay..so that's,
-restring, tune up
-stretch and retune, repeat if necessary
-adjust truss til there's no bowing, or a little bowing..?
-retune, adjust truss til there's no or little bowing, repeat if nec..
then I'm done?
slight variation to whats been said already... just my experience

- restring with the 10's making sure to give them some play time and stretching
- check relief based on what PRS recommends
- If there is excessive bow tighten rod very lightly until relief is back to spec
- tune
- check/adjust string height measurements (action)
- tune
- play it for a day or two, let the neck and strings get settled

come back later and fine tune to your personal preference. i honestly dont think the 9-10 switch will really gets things way out of wack but i've never messed with a prs. I can imagine as with any guitar, it has to be setup once you get it home - factory setting is usually only a general quick "ok it works".

nice new toy though, hows it sound? i plucked away at an SE at guitarcenter last week... if i closed my eyes, it felt like a strat - was weird.
What I play:
CustomShop '51 Nocaster Relic
'88 "C" neck Clapton Strat
'08 Strat HSH
Fender Princeton Recording Amp
Boss Micro-BR
Last edited by boostdemon at May 30, 2008,
^ thanks for the help! and, I'd say that it sounds and feels hella awesome, but that's after coming from an entry level Ibanez GRG270, so I don't think I'm saying much. I'm really enjoying it though. And I'm still playing through my cheap, unknown brand (AmpteQ) practice amp, until I get my Peavey XXX sometime soon, so I'm not hearing it at its best.

EDIT: I have another question..if I tune to drop D, will I have to adjust again? and is it okay to be switching from standard tuning to drop D from time to time?
Last edited by penguinsarecool at May 30, 2008,
Remove the strings, adjust the truss rod so the neck's perfectly straight, then put new strings on and tune. Play with it for a day or two and retune if needed then check the relief on the neck.

Depending on how you play (hard or soft) the neck relief will need to be adjusted to suit your playing style. Your string action will probably need to be adjusted too. It's the combination of neck relief and string action that'll be the most comfortable to your playing style. The specs means squat.

I learned that after owning several guitars. Each guitar has a comfy spot from the combinations of neck relief and action. If done right it'll feel like it has close actions but really comfy as a result.
Pretty retarded place to put the pup selector
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

No No No & NO

I have the exact same guitar and play with 10's. You shouldn't need to touch the truss rod mate. All guitars are different and will behave in different ways according to their enviromants but then action on mine was quite low from new. (set up at the shop) and after I changed to the 10's the difference was hardly noticable.

If you've just bought this in a shop take it back and ask them to set it up using the 10's. They should do it for free if its a decent shop.
Quote by Vanquish
Pretty retarded place to put the pup selector

lol I know right but you get used to it..kinda.
You should adjust your neck with the strings on and tuned to pitch! Don't just use your eye to sight down the neck. Your eye is good for an approximate evaluation of the neck in general but you have to know what to look for. Fret the Low E at the first fret and at the same time at the 15th fret. Now look at the gap around the 7th - 9th fret and see how much there is between the fret crown and bottom of the string! This can be measured with a sparkplug feeler gauge set and compared to MFRs recommendations. As mentioned the gap can be reduced by turning the truss rod right a SMALL amount. If you feel any resistance stop immediately. Before you tighten you should actually loosen the rod slightly first (in case it's already at maximum) as this will help avoid breaking the truss rod. If your string is touching the fret or you need more clearance turn the rod left to loosen. Adjustments can take a day or two to fully settle in you easy does it and be patient.
One problem with PRS and their fixed compensated bridges is you can't adjust intonation. Whenever you change string gauges intonation will be affected. PRS will state what gauge the bridge has been designed for and if you pick something different, you'll have to live with a little "out of tune" sounding areas on your fingerboard.
Quote by penguinsarecool
I finally got my PRS SE Singlecut today!

It's darn beautiful and I can't take my hands of it:

BUT: I have a question about the truss rod..when I change the strings from 9's to 10's, do I have to adjust the truss rod? and how will I know if I do have to?

Thanks in advance for any help.

you are a LIAR!!!!! i see no hands on ur pics
Quote by jesus on a bun
you are a LIAR!!!!! i see no hands on ur pics

coz the pics don't show the whole guitar xD
hmmmm.
by the way, i want to ask you all
how to pick a picture, signature an else in our ID ??

i'm so jelous for you all
please teach me
i'm new member here
Quote by jawe
hmmmm.
by the way, i want to ask you all
how to pick a picture, signature an else in our ID ??

i'm so jelous for you all
please teach me
i'm new member here

Go to CONTROL PANEL on the top of the forums page and you can use the different EDIT functions under "SETTINGS & OPTIONS" to change things.
beautiful. enjoy it man.
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best