How much am I going to have to spend on an amp to play along (and not get drowned out by a drummer)? I am in the process of starting a band and although I play guitar I am also starting on bass. I don't have a ton of cash but want to be able to play along with a drummer. Any good model recomendations?
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Alvarez FD-60 acoustic electric- $295 obo (perfect condition, amber finish)
Lindy Fralin Blues Special Strat pickups (as set, perfect condition) - $175 obo

PM me if you are interested!
There's a lot of debate about how loud you need to be, it depends on how hard the drummer plays, generally, the lower end of the spectrum is about 30w solid state or around 15w full valve, but that doesn't give you a lot of head room. Either way, your looking at bout £300+ for a decent amp (although im not sure how much that would be in dollars, prices can be odd)

However, if ur playing with a drummer, u'll probably be renting a rehearsal space, in which case, you can use their amps..
It all depends on how loud your drummer is. I've played with a few guys and my 100W 1X10 crate stood up fine, but with others I've needed the full power of my 100W 4X12. Just depends on how loud the guy is.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
There's a lot of debate about how loud you need to be, it depends on how hard the drummer plays, generally, the lower end of the spectrum is about 30w solid state or around 15w full valve, but that doesn't give you a lot of head room. Either way, your looking at bout £300+ for a decent amp (although im not sure how much that would be in dollars, prices can be odd)

That might work for guitar. Not bass. :P

General consensus seems to be somewhere between 100 and 200w for a bass to jam with just a drummer, that should make sure neither of you drowns the other out. You're looking at between £150 and £300 to get a decent amp in that price bracket.
If you're talking bass...60-100 watts with a full band was about right when i played bass. 15 or 20 tube watts for a guitar amp will cut fine, if you don't cut your mids excessivly.
It really depends in the drummer. My 50 watt crate can be heard well with the volume knob around 1 o clock. Drums were about 7 feet away facing my amp so I walked over there to make sure the drummer could hear me and I was pretty surprised that he could.
Line 6 amps arent very loud. The LD150 we practice on can barely be heard. Luckily we just got a Kustom 600watt amp.
My main influence is Steve Harris, followed by Steve DiGiorgio
Check out my band Eyeshot at www.myspace.com/eyeshot1122
I play Bass and I'm damn proud of it.
I say 150Wis the bare minimum, unless your drummer is an absolute wuss when it comes to playing.

I would say to set a budget of at least £300. Good amps in the range include the Warwick sweet 15 (my favorite) and the Ashdown MAG 300 (very popular on these forums).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
In a small room with a guitarist and my drummer I have to crank my amp to around 150watts
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I use an ashdown EB 180watt. And that can be heard well over drums and a hotrod.
I think that cost me around £200 to buy new.
Quote by darkstar2466
1. Introduce yourself, make friends with her.
2. Club her on the head and drag her back to your cave.
3. ???
4. Profit

Spatula Masta of Disasta!
150W bare minimum, 200W is preferable. At 150W, my drummer can barely hear me, but he's a bit of a thrasher. On price, 400 - 500 USD should get you in a nice range for used and low end new.
Try for 300 watts, settle for less if you must. But, no drummer is the same- I can usually ride by with fifty as long as he's easy on the snare. I jammed with a different drummer and he couldn't hear the amp I had placed right behind him.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Hmm well I don't know what I'll do then. I really can't afford to spend that much right now. I may just have to hold off and stick with a small practice amp until I can afford a large amp.
-Nick
FOR SALE:

Alvarez FD-60 acoustic electric- $295 obo (perfect condition, amber finish)
Lindy Fralin Blues Special Strat pickups (as set, perfect condition) - $175 obo

PM me if you are interested!
It all depends on what kind of music you are playing. If its heavy metal/ punk/ noise pollution TYPE stuff, 150 to 200 watts at least. Bass players in metal bands really can't be heard anyway so that is really moot. If it's more like jazz, r&B blues or pop 50 to 100 watts more or less. Also consider how many people are in the band and how big the guy's kit is.
All this talk of big amps scares me... I play in a band with two guitarists(3ow orange crush and 70w line 6) and a drummer(pearl forum series) and i can keep up pretty well at jamming with a 60w.... why the talk of 300w???
I've managed with my 30W solid state before. However, it sounded bollocks because it isn't a very good amp...

I mostly play through a PA for practices, which is obviously enough power. I'd rather have a good amp though.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
I was loud enough with my acoustic bass in a 3 piece jam. Me and a freind played acoustic guitar + acoustic bass sharing a Fender Acoustisonic 30 watt while his cousin played on a Pearl Rythm Travler drum kit.