I'm sick of my roundwounds dying on me so quick so I'm thinking of trying some flats or some tapewound strings. They will be going on my Fender (p special) which I use for finger plucking only. I know flats can last awhile but how long do tapewounds usually last? The strings I'm looking at are d'addario ECB81 chrome flats (45-65-80-100) and fender 9120 nylon tapewounds (58-72-92-110). Both gauges are new to me, I usually use 45-65-80-105. I realize that my bass will probably need a good set up after I get which ever strings I choose. The sound im looking for is a deep smooth tone. So what should I get? Opinions and suggestions for any other strings would be great
Apparently Jamerson used LaBella flats on his P. I'd have a look at them; otherwise, I' personally recommend DR's roundwounds. I've been slapping hell out of a set of stainless Lo-Riders since October last, and they're only just beginning to dull a bit.
But flatwounds already sound like dead strings :P
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Flatwounds do have a deader sound, which is the main reason I put them on my Fretless Stingray for Jazz.

For longevity, you can't beat Rotos. Yes I'm a complete Roto fan girl. I found a local place I can get them for just under 20USD, which is 3 more dollars than I paid for EBs and they last at least 3 - 4 weeks longer than the EBs.
Yeah.
I just put on a set of Ernie Balls on my P a week ago and the E string already sounds pretty dead.
Slinkys' quality can be pretty meh sometimes.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
You could always get the Steve Harris sig flats, bit thicker but not bad and they sound bright. Just listen to Harris play!
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
Quote by KillEmAll
You could always get the Steve Harris sig flats, bit thicker but not bad and they sound bright. Just listen to Harris play!

That's more to do with his technique than the strings though.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I'm voting for Fender stainless steel flats

I've had mine for over 4 months and they are starting to sound better than they did when they were brand news. When I first got them, they were all clancky, but now theyre nice, smooth and smexy.

my $o.o2
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
this is gonna be quite out of the road, but Dean M Blue steels are NICE, imo.
When they flatten out, they give a very bassy sound.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already