hey people

brand newbie on guitar.
I understand a lot about music (played piano for 10 years) - never tried guitar

just bought it. just simple, pretty crappy quality acoustic from ebay

can someone explain the difference between bar chords, power chords and regular chords? what's the easiest option for a beginner?

also, I've been looking up some regular chords (open chords or whatever) and some seem to be missing?? Like Bmaj and Fmaj but can they only be played as bar chords? Is there a simpler version of those chords coz my fingers are too weak to do bar chords still!

tips are a huge help
cheers
an open fmaj chord, is like an f barre chord, except you don't need to play the top two strings (E and A). this means that you only have to barre your first finger over the b and e strings (1st fret)
Regular Chords (as u seem to have noticed) usually have open strings in them.
Bar Chords are usually further up the neck and have no open strings,
eg. Your "missing" Fmaj would be the Emaj position simply slided up one fret with the whole 1st fret "Barred" with the index finger.
Power chords are usually the lower (i'm taliking pitch here :P)segments of chords. on ur acoustic they'll probably sound **** but they're usefull in rock for when a full chord isn't practical or required.

The only ways to realy play Bmaj and Fmaj are bar chords

Hope that helps
god, I remember those days
well all i can recommend is getting either lessons or a book on basics, they'll show ya where to begin and how to do things.
Maybe you can find a book of chords also
for me it was easier to start with regular chords like em, C, G and D.
barre and power chords take their root note off the E and A strings.. power chords are mainly used for punk, more heavier songs with distortion whilst barre chords are sort of like a substitue for open chords on an electric guitar so the strings dont ring out..

id advise to learn all of your open chords first.. along with maybe some minor pentatonic scales. once youve learnt them learn the notes down the neck and then learn power chords followed by barre chords..

as for your fingers not being strong enough.. take some time out each week to practice barre chords.. they will eventually become easier and easier
New Playlist On My Profile

Quote by chll
i think she's a horny type girl

cuz 1 tym io remember she asked me to kiss her
Quote by BFMVrrule
barre and power chords take their root note off the E and A strings.. power chords are mainly used for punk, more heavier songs with distortion whilst barre chords are sort of like a substitue for open chords on an electric guitar so the strings dont ring out..

id advise to learn all of your open chords first.. along with maybe some minor pentatonic scales. once youve learnt them learn the notes down the neck and then learn power chords followed by barre chords..

as for your fingers not being strong enough.. take some time out each week to practice barre chords.. they will eventually become easier and easier

No they don't, they can have a root anywhere, same as any other chords.

TS, seeing as you played piano I'll try and explain in piano terms

Open chords are chords played near the nut utilising open strings, they'll be based round a triad as in piano chords but the root is often the lowest note,

Barre chords are just moveable open chords - you fret the chord shape as normal but drop your index finger in to act as a nut, that way you can shift the chord shape up and down the neck and the "open" strings follow. Having said that you can get interesting effects by moving a chord shape but leaving a static open drone string. Musically they're no different to an open chord, they're still constructed in the same way.

Power chords are just a root and 5th interval, with the option of an additional octave of the root. They tend to be used with heavy distortion in place of chords with a third as they can sound dissonant.

Open chords is definitely the place to start though, it's the easiest way to get to grips with the guitar initially and also the quickest way to get some meaningful noises out of it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com