ok so this is gonna sound n00bish but say u buy a pack of strings that have a .100 and a .85, my brother claims that u can use the .85 as the E string if u want but im not so sure and i dont wanna try it in case i screw up a perfectly good string
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
if you use an .085 as an E you have to use the .065 as an A, the .045 as a D and guess what you're out of strings with no G on your bass

in short i think it's a stupid idea but it can be done
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
.100 is average for an E string. .085 is definately A string guage. Sure you could go much lighter, but why?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I think you should try setting it up opposite.

So the .100 is your G, the .85 as your D, the .65 as your A and the .45 as your E.

Trust me, it's an awesome tone! ¬_¬
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Yes, in a theoretical Claypool world you can, but I'm not sure of the benefit. At least at some point in his career, Les strung up his bass with two A strings (.080) and two G strings (.040).

I've been temped to do this myself since I go for light gauge strings just to find out how it would sound.
i dunno, i like having heavy G and D and a light A and E
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...