Hey guys. I am new on here, and was just wondering if you guys could help.

We are having, err, a little trouble in our band. Basically, a member of our band is leaving, however, we are unsure of the legal implications. We are unsigned, and we aren't sure if we will still be able to play the songs, that he has had some part in writing, i.e. the main music structure, but not the lyrics.

Does anyone know?
Thanks!
he cant do anything unless he gets it copyrighted can he?
Quote by closertofreewil
I officially hate you SBLAKELELY.

PSN ID: blakerz92
add me
if he wrote some of the music, and leaves, ull have to ask him for full permission if u guys want to get the song copyrighted

if the song is already copyrighted, it would be under every one who did the song, therfore giving him permission to use the music but not lyrics

mind u when ever a song is made it has been AUTOMATICALLY copywritted as long as it has ur name on it, and u kept a log of making the song this is minimal evidence that u did the song
Yes the songs are copyrighted. They are, under all of our names. Therefore, does that mean we can still play them?
Sod it, if you're unsigned it isn't that big a deal. If you do get signed the label can sort it out.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by matt_cellar170
Yes the songs are copyrighted. They are, under all of our names. Therefore, does that mean we can still play them?

yeah u can still play it but so can he, mind u it wont really really matter, unless one of us make it BIG with lots of money then hell complain and be like MINE
having read what wrote it seems as tho HE id leaving (u didnt kick him out right?) and if HE is leaving than HE is the reason for these problems, hence, he must give up the rights.