Page 1 of 2
My guitar had got a little dusty, so i take some toiletpaper with water and started to clean it. Worked well, but when I looked at it a small amount of hours later, it was .. well.. hard to describe.. guys who has done as I have know what i'm talking about.

Anyway, it has started to get off, but now I just wanna know if I shouldn't use water next to, or if there is some kind of 'make-your-guitar-shiny'-product?
Quote by zadzior
Sir, Awesome stuff. You have my respect!
Quote by neon-black
aw i love your song! sell it n' it would deffo be a smash!
Quote by veggiederek
this is great. you've got the words!
Quote by kiaraiswicked
... Wauw... It really paints a picture and leaves the rest up to the imagination!
don't use water and toilet paper. use a clean cotton rag. if it's just dust, you don't need water. there are cleaning products for guitar. Dunlop makes them. google it first.
Quote by Aleene
Wipe it with a duster?

That's what i usually do.

yep +1 also maybe use some dust polish Don't use water it doesnt work well and can leave temporary water marks
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Get a polish cloth and guitar polish.
The one I have actually helps prevent some scratches.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Lettuce oil is supposed to be a harmless ghetto cleaning product for your guitar.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Even breathing on it and wiping it with a cotton cloth is better than water and toilet paper. You probably left a thin layer of film on your guitar.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Toilet paper + water? Dunno why anybody would ever think that was a good way to clean anything. Didn't you notice the tp fallin apart?

Actually they do make cleaner. They sell inside car batteries. Just crack those bad boys open and pour it all over your guitar. It makes about as much sense as wet toilet paper.
Quote by leviticus_22953
don't use water and toilet paper. use a clean cotton rag. if it's just dust, you don't need water. there are cleaning products for guitar. Dunlop makes them. google it first.

I really would like to do that, but I'm not sure my guitar would benefit. The finish absolutely will not take a fingerprint, but I'm afraid that putting polish on it would be putting something on that will show prints. Anyone got an idea on that? Does polish stay on the guitar and then show fingerprints?

Quote by nikhil101
yep +1 also maybe use some dust polish Don't use water it doesnt work well and can leave temporary water marks

Water marks! That's the word!
Quote by zadzior
Quote by neon-black
Quote by veggiederek
Quote by kiaraiswicked
... Wauw... It really paints a picture and leaves the rest up to the imagination!
Quote by MAYNARD
That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Toilet paper + water? Dunno why anybody would ever think that was a good way to clean anything. Didn't you notice the tp fallin apart?

It's not like I took some toilet paper, threw it down the toilet, picked it up and slapped it against my guitar several times. I put a little water on it, and then gently squeezed the dust away - unfortunatly with some water marks as part of the result..
Quote by zadzior
Quote by neon-black
Quote by veggiederek
Quote by kiaraiswicked
Last edited by TheKermal at May 30, 2008,
Quote by Chorduroy
I really would like to do that, but I'm not sure my guitar would benefit. The finish absolutely will not take a fingerprint, but I'm afraid that putting polish on it would be putting something on that will show prints. Anyone got an idea on that? Does polish stay on the guitar and then show fingerprints?

It's kinda like waxing a guitar for an elderly janitor from Okinawa: Polish on, polish off.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by TheKermal
It's not like I took some toilet paper, threw it down to toilet, picked it up and slapped it against my guitar several times. I put a little water on it, and then gently squeezed the dust away - unfortunatly with some water marks as part of the result..

Holen Sie dir eines dieser Dingen: http://www.shammysolutions.com/

They say it will not scratch any surface, so you can buff the water stains off your guitar.
Quote by BaffAttack
It's kinda like waxing a guitar for an elderly janitor from Okinawa: Polish on, polish off.

Yes but think about waxing a car. You rub it on and it is very evident, but then even after you buff it off there still is some wax on there making the surface slick.
Quote by Chorduroy
Holen Sie dir eines dieser Dingen: http://www.shammysolutions.com/

Aber doch! Es schon sehen doch sehr sehr professionëëll aus! Prima!
Quote by zadzior
Quote by neon-black
Quote by veggiederek
Quote by kiaraiswicked
Quote by Chorduroy
Yes but think about waxing a car. You rub it on and it is very evident, but then even after you buff it off there still is some wax on there making the surface slick.

Well, that's the rub, no pun intended. But a shiny anything is generally prone to fingerprinting. Just wipe it down before and after you play.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Use cotton buds! Wierd, but works when you need to clean under the strings.
MODEL CITIZEN
Quote by BaffAttack
Well, that's the rub, no pun intended. But a shiny anything is generally prone to fingerprinting. Just wipe it down before and after you play.

Sure. I will just use a non-linty rag to scrape the dust off when it needs it. Thanks.

Quote by Chorduroy
Sure. I will just use a non-linty rag to scrape the dust off when it needs it. Thanks.

That's why the rock gods created old cotton t-shirts we don't wear anymore. I've never had a lint problem with them.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by :..*lazy*..:
Use cotton buds! Wierd, but works when you need to clean under the strings.

... I don't believe my ears... eyes ;b
Quote by zadzior
Quote by neon-black
Quote by veggiederek
Quote by kiaraiswicked
Mock all you want.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too, here.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Mock all you want.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too, here.

No mockerosity occurred. I was accepting your advice. For the misunderstanding I apologize humbly, deeply and sincerely...and completely without sarcasm.
Quote by Chorduroy
No mockerosity occurred. I was accepting your advice. For the misunderstanding I apologize humbly, deeply and sincerely...and completely without sarcasm.

And since sarcasm is a second language to me, I'm right on the same page.

Though I guess I could be like a neo-hippie. I'm only 30, but I'm pretty liberal, wear a mustache and goatee, play music...work in sound reinforcement...have an English degree...actually I'm more like a neo beatnik...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
And since sarcasm is a second language to me, I'm right on the same page.

Though I guess I could be like a neo-hippie. I'm only 30, but I'm pretty liberal, wear a mustache and goatee, play music...work in sound reinforcement...have an English degree...actually I'm more like a neo beatnik...

I voted twice for Reagan and once for Howard Phillips (the Bushes are liberals in sheep's clothing). This time my money is on Bob Barr, but I will switch if the proposition is "anyone but B. Hussein Obama or Hitlery Clinton". I guess we are separated by everything but guitars and our love of the proper use of langwidge.

Now we're at it, Obama for president!
Quote by zadzior
Quote by neon-black
Quote by veggiederek
Quote by kiaraiswicked
I wasn't even old enough to vote for the first Bush, let alone Reagan twice. Old-timer.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
I wasn't even old enough to vote for the first Bush, let alone Reagan twice. Old-timer.

Yes and I play Yardbirds classics and the Byrds. Stuff from back when music was unique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUworKXBzdE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4HIgqFnvik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLzzlQj6b6M&feature=related
Quote by Chorduroy

Was Beethoven as interesting as he seems?

(agreed on the unique thing though, people hate it when I say "it's all been done" but it really kind of has)

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Chorduroy
...of Iran.

Oh please don't tell me you've fallen for those email smear campaigns. I don't begrudge people their political views, don't get me wrong. I know why people lean certain ways. But the man, regardless of your opinion of him politically, isn't this "sleeper cell" waiting to be exploded upon the country like I've seen insinuated in forwards sent to me by some of my nutjob family members.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Chorduroy
Huh?! Type a little louder.

I SAID...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Oh please don't tell me you've fallen for those email smear campaigns. I don't begrudge people their political views, don't get me wrong. I know why people lean certain ways. But the man, regardless of your opinion of him politically, isn't this "sleeper cell" waiting to be exploded upon the country like I've seen insinuated in forwards sent to me by some of my nutjob family members.

I know of no "smear campaign". All I know is his beliefs and his dubious affiliations, and the fact that he will not or cannot answer a direct question--or any question if the answer is not scripted for him--reveals what an empty head he has. What he HAS said reveals an utter contempt for this country and a devotion to destroying our security and our economy. Uh...thanks but no; we tried that for four years at the end of the 70s. Oh...buy the way, Beethoven is right here in the room with me. Barack said so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh6Gx1KrvTw

A politician with dubious affiliations and who can't answer a direct question, never!

...on second thought, probably best not to get political. Let's leave that one alone.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Chorduroy
Fair enough.

Now, see, if the politicians could do that...oh wait. Broke my own rule.

Was Saliere really jealous of Mozart?

Oh, and yeah...shiny means fingerprinting. Gotta maintain the shine with some wiping if you wanna maintain the shiny at all.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Now, see, if the politicians could do that...oh wait. Broke my own rule.

Was Saliere really jealous of Mozart?

Oh, and yeah...shiny means fingerprinting. Gotta maintain the shine with some wiping if you wanna maintain the shiny at all.

I should start a band called Maintaining The Shiny.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Page 1 of 2