So, I have a few connections with local artists who also do guitar graphics/painting.

My question is, would you buy a lower end guitar (lets say 300-800$ new) if it had custom artwork on it that added 400$ to the price? Would the artwork make it worth it or is this a stupid idea?

And second part: If it is a good idea, what should I aim for? The typical skulls/flames?
if you do some research, there are some lower end guitars with a flame top (not the graphic design, the grain of the wood) but they are painted over.

if you have a slight knowledge of guitar buying, you know that making a guitar with a flat color of paint will WAY increase in value to just strip it, sand it, sand it again, sand it again, dye it, gloss it x12, etc. a wood stain on a flame maple top is awesome, and looks expensive.

to overcome the conondrum of ****ty stock pickups, go pick up some EMG passives, easy to install, and everyone is always impressed by the EMG name for some reason...i still dont know why they are so popular as they are. seymour duncan should be more renowned..

anyway, i hope that helps.
i think its personnal preference. for me i would just put that 400$ to get a better guitar
No way- The artwork is not worth it unless you have the money to spare or just want to use it to show off in a gig. My advice is buy a really good guitar with the money, and If you seriously want to get artwork on there, ask the artists, do it yourself or get a 'facelift' - a removable sticker overlay for the body of a guitar ( http://www.jhs.co.uk/facelift.html) that is quite cheap and effective.
MODEL CITIZEN
Only if it were part of the guitar building process. Not the way you described it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
A guitar, anything done to it (including it having been repainted or having artwork done on it), will only be worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

In my experience, unless the artwork's done by someone famous, (or at least by someone with a cult following/fanbase), it'll probably decrease the value of the guitar.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Interesting. The way I am describing it is --Stripping the paint off a guitar, putting custom art work over it. I am not doing this for myself, I am just wondering if I should get into doing it for other people.

The other method is to buy unfinished guitars then have them custom painted, but the only bodies/necks you can really buy unfinished are knockoffs of strats/les pauls/jacksons etc. And if no one would buy a REAL epiphone that has custom art work, why would their mind change just because the "no previous paint/no paint stripping" if it is some Warmonth epiphone knock-off?
Depends on how you handle it.

If you do what you described, then plop it on ebay to sell it to whomever, to be quite honest (unless it's a damn good job, doesn't affect play, and you're more famous in the art field than you let on), you'll probably lose money on the guitar, or at best, even out.

Now, if someone were to contract you to do a specific piece, and you create it just for them, THEN you probably stand a good chance at making a considerable amount more.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I'd buy one of Daron Malakian's IC400s that his Father painted, I loved the paintjobs on those.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR <3
Quote by Hakael
Depends on how you handle it.

If you do what you described, then plop it on ebay to sell it to whomever, to be quite honest (unless it's a damn good job, doesn't affect play, and you're more famous in the art field than you let on), you'll probably lose money on the guitar, or at best, even out.

Now, if someone were to contract you to do a specific piece, and you create it just for them, THEN you probably stand a good chance at making a considerable amount more.

That is a good idea, it would just be hard to get my service out there. I've also thought of buying 800-1200$ guitars, upgrading them AND painting them, and increasing the price.
I'll give an example::

I could do maybe a Dean Razorback (Not db), which sells for 1,099$, buy it used, paint it --> 1050$ sale + shipping. I could do almost anything from these pages: http://www.deanguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51062&start=300. Would you buy that?

What about the razorback, painted, upgrade the neck pickup to '59, 1099$+ shipping. That is just as much as new, with a *NEW* paint job, and a better neck pickup.

Another example: Custom painted Jackson RR3, for 750$, which is only 50$ above list price. Again, I could do almost any airbrushed graphic/design.
Last edited by styphon at May 30, 2008,
Quote by styphon
I'll give an example::

I could do maybe a Dean Razorback (Not db), which sells for 1,099$, buy it used, paint it --> 1050$ sale + shipping. I could do almost anything from these pages: http://www.deanguitars.com/forum/vie...1062&start=300. Would you buy that?

What about the razorback, painted, upgrade the neck pickup to '59, 1099$+ shipping. That is just as much as new, with a *NEW* paint job, and a better neck pickup.

Another example: Custom painted Jackson RR3, for 750$, which is only 50$ above list price. Again, I could do almost any airbrushed graphic/design.

Broken link. Not out of interest, but out of curiosity.
Quote by JohnnyBeep
Broken link. Not out of interest, but out of curiosity.

Fixed

This website is basically what I was trying to say, I could do very similar designs::

http://www.bcguitars.com/
Looks like I am going to give up on this idea. I will offer people to either send their guitars to me to be customized however they want, or I could build them a guitar to their standards. But I will not try to premake guitar finishes.

Here is my ad so far:

I am a guitar tech who is making myself available to do repairs (Fret work, cracks, paint chips, electrical problems), modifications (replacing bridge/tremolo, replacing nut, any electrical modification, killswitches, tuner installation, capicator/pot upgrades), I also do airbrush graphics to your specificiations. Finally, I am most likely able to build you a personal guitar to your requirements from scratch.

My rates are comparable to any other repair shop and most likely lower than large guitar chains. Contact me if interested.

Quote by styphon
Looks like I am going to give up on this idea. I will offer people to either send their guitars to me to be customized however they want, or I could build them a guitar to their standards. But I will not try to premake guitar finishes.

Here is my ad so far:

Are you in the UK? if so how much is a repair for a chip?
Jackson DXMG 2002
Jackson JS30RR 2006
Rockteck 30Watt Combo
Marshall MC212
Dunlop Crybaby-GCB95
Boss Metalcore ML2

Quote by Skagasm
just think......bc rich+nice ring=happy girl

no ring+gibson es-335= no bitch and an awesome guitar.
Quote by styphon

My question is, would you buy a lower end guitar (lets say 300-800$ new) if it had custom artwork on it that added 400$ to the price?

not personally... it'd be like getting custom artwork on a paintbrush, a spanner or a soldering iron your tools are there to create art, not to be a canvas for art

still, that's just me... if someone else wants a picture on their guitar, good luck to em
out of here
i think it depends. if its lame artwork then yes value will probably depreciate. If its a respectable and not super lame design then it may go up. i probably would pay a little more for a guitar with some cool design that isnt like "ooh look at this flame job, its soo br00talz" or "this wizard design is sooo majestic, just look at the thunderbolts coming from his staff".
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
It all depends on what the art is. I'd love to have a guitar painted like Clapton's guitars were until about 2005, but I hate the look of a lot of the Dean Razorback finishes, as well as that of the Vendetta Revenge. Some pics would help decide.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Custom artwork = Boobs = awsome.

I thought i saw that somewhere. hmm.........
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
If it's a higher-end guitar, then yes, it's definitely worth a custom paint job to make it and you unique, like John Petrucci's Picasso Ibanezes (is that the plural of Ibanez? Not sure). However, since it's a low-end guitar in this case, not worth it.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by styphon
So, I have a few connections with local artists who also do guitar graphics/painting.

My question is, would you buy a lower end guitar (lets say 300-800$ new) if it had custom artwork on it that added 400$ to the price? Would the artwork make it worth it or is this a stupid idea?

And second part: If it is a good idea, what should I aim for? The typical skulls/flames?

Why not offer to do artwork on expensive guitars?