Having lusted after PRSs and LPs for most of my guitar-playing life and lamenting the lack of spare cash to buy one I recently had the idea of building my own guitar - with help from my father who has made several high quality classical guitars.

I am still at the first ideas stage - but I'm thinking of making an ES-335 style guitar with a smaller body - kinda like an ES-339 or Ibanez Artcore.

My Qs relate to construction - usually an 335 guitar uses a 'tone block' which the neck fits into and the pickups are mounted on. I was thinking one piece of maple as a neckthrough, feasible? Finding a piece of maple that size could be troublesome I suppose.
As to fingerboard I would either use no separate piece (strat style) or ebony.
Bridge would be a typical tune-o-matic derivative.
At the moment I'll probably use the tried and tested 2 hums, 2 vols, 2 tones format maybe with some funky splitting/phase options but could be tempted to use P90s.
Top, back and sides would be constructed similar to an acoustic yes? How is it attached to the central block - and is bracing necessary? Would using solid wood sound much better than laminate when amplified?

That's all the Qs I can think of for now.

Cheers.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
no relation to construction but why not try seymour duncan p-rails? they're single coils, P90s and humbuckers in 1. No idea how they work just the idea sounds cool
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Bump.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet