Ok so this is an odd question but i'm hoping for some insight from all of you knowledge spewing gods of info here at ug (lol im kidding around). Anyway if I take a standard 6 string electric guitar and take a set of 7 strings and sting my guitar with the lowest string (the B i believe), and string it where the low E normally sits and continue string the guitar from low to high B,E,A,D,G,B but leave out the high E wil I be able to tune as if it were a seven string without the hight e? Will it cause damage? Will I be able to tune to drop A??? Any info is greatly appreciated guys thanks.
Yes, you can, I do it on my 6 string.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Quote by Dog454
Yes, you can, I do it on my 6 string.

Do you? Far out my Bassist is gonna be ****in stoked bro thanks man.
yeah you can but why buy a pack of seven strings when you can just buy a pack of beefy 6 strings?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
cos if u just buy a set of beefy strings, u still aint gonna b able to tune em to drop A!
you might want to modify the nut. the thicker string might not fit in the nut. use a nut file for it or sandpaper.
Quote by thrash-it-up
cos if u just buy a set of beefy strings, u still aint gonna b able to tune em to drop A!

yeah i cant tune mine to A....(Dean Markely Blue Steel)
You can buy yourself a set of .12 - .56's. Those are meaty string, they should do the job.

IF not, the only thing that might be a little troublesome with the 7-string strings is they may be a little too big for the nut. They probably won't be, but it's something to think about anyway.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
yes you can do that, i have done it and it was ok. you have to mess with the nut so the strings fit right, adjust the necks trus rod, then mess with the intonation.
so if you are going to keep this guitar in this tuneing i would say have a pro do it for you.

why dont you just get a cheap 7 string