Is it possible to drill holes in the pickguard on a MIM Fender Jazz bass or do you think it will crack it? I want to install a pickup cover and a thumbrest, but I don't want to buy a new pickguard. I am brand new to bass modification stuff. Thanks in advance
Carpe Diem
i drilled some holes on my p bass pickguard to add a thumb rest and it didn't crack
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
You should be fine, just take it slow and easy. You might want to make sure there's wood on both sides of the pickguard, that would probably help a bit.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
yes, a scrap piece of wood underneath, marking the hole with an awl first are the two main ones.

But also make sure you're not too close to the edge.

A drip of oil on the bit also works wonders, it stops it sticking by cooling it, as well as the friction aspect. but if you haven't got it lying around don't worry about it.

If it's a big hole, you can do it with a smaller bit first, that can make it a little easier.
Before I forget, another thing to keep in mind is that sometimes the insides of the hole can get jagged from the drill. What I do to fix this is to just keep the drill spinning, but not move it in or out.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club