I could see this maybe when a big amp is too loud for a venue and it has to be put in a back room or something. Or maybe if someone wants to use an in ear monitor. Any other reasons to use a separate monitor if your amp is miced through the PA?
Not really. If it's mic'd wouldn't you just put it behind the band so everyone could hear it?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i am a soundtech for a band and we always have atleast 2 on stage at all times. 1 for the singer and one for the drummer. if we have room will put on 3 in the front and 1 for the drummer
Speaking as both a player, and a guy who works with sound reinforcement, it really depends on how loud you have to be to get your tone. Hopefully, it's not that much, or else you probably won't be mic'ed at all, and if you are, you're barely going to be in that main mix...most of your volume will be stage volume and then you won't need monitors. Now, if you have an amp that doesn't need to be cranked, to save headroom in the main PA, most sound guys will have you keep your amp just loud enough for your tone, then take it from there. That might not be enough stage volume to serve as your own monitor, so then you may wish to have your sound through a front monitor to bolster.

It also depends on how many monitor mixes are available, too. If it's a really basic setup, you could have four monitors up on that stage, but only two aux outputs from the board...so you're only getting two different monitor mixes. Or you could have a full club set up with a dedicated monitor engineer so that every single monitor on that stage is capable of a specific mix.

I've basically not answered the question and probably raised a few others, haven't I?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Never mic my amps.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by BaffAttack
Speaking as both a player, and a guy who works with sound reinforcement, it really depends on how loud you have to be to get your tone. Hopefully, it's not that much, or else you probably won't be mic'ed at all, and if you are, you're barely going to be in that main mix...most of your volume will be stage volume and then you won't need monitors. Now, if you have an amp that doesn't need to be cranked, to save headroom in the main PA, most sound guys will have you keep your amp just loud enough for your tone, then take it from there. That might not be enough stage volume to serve as your own monitor, so then you may wish to have your sound through a front monitor to bolster.

It also depends on how many monitor mixes are available, too. If it's a really basic setup, you could have four monitors up on that stage, but only two aux outputs from the board...so you're only getting two different monitor mixes. Or you could have a full club set up with a dedicated monitor engineer so that every single monitor on that stage is capable of a specific mix.

I've basically not answered the question and probably raised a few others, haven't I?

Actually that helps a lot, thanks for your input.