Was looking into purchasing a FP10 (http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=3) to record my band, and was wondering if it would work as follows:

Guitars (+bass) linked up to amps, line out (recording/headphone socket) to FP, FP10 to cubase via firewire.
Would this allow the gutiars to be recorded, and the effects created through the amp, as it is recording on a line out?

Would also use with an electric drum kit using the same idea.

Would I need any other hardware/software for this to work?

Here is a masterpiece of art showing what I mean. The curved wires are coming from the headphone or line out socket on the amp.

Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

Quote by andy331
i dont see why not but i dont think my opinion counts as i dont know ****

How useful
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

depends on wat u plan on recording with. i no Sony Acid wont do it though. i already tried. try Audacity.
Quote by Mgllpz09
depends on wat u plan on recording with. i no Sony Acid wont do it though. i already tried. try Audacity.

Mentioned in post I would be using cubaseLE.
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

I would get a small mixer and feed the e-kit into that.
then set one sub group to the amp, the other to the interface.

Im not sure if you are planning on micing anything but using the record/phones out jacks on amps and such normally doesnt give great results.

just get the audio to your interface, thats the hardest part in my mind...
after that all you have to do is program your software, (Reaper is nice) and then hit record.

Im not sure why you are doing this all live in one take, you will get bleed into the mics if you use any...
Most studios will track one instrument at a time so they keep each track clean and free of any noise which means less work later.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 30, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
I would get a small mixer and feed the e-kit into that.
then set one sub group to the amp, the other to the interface.

Im not sure if you are planning on micing anything but using the record/phones out jacks on amps and such normally doesnt give great results.

The text in bold, I don't understand . Elaborate please?

As for micing, didn't plan to. Budget is really big enough, and I'm recording in a bedroom, so micing would be terrible acoustics wise.

What is usually so bad about record/phones out jacks? Just curious to see if it is worth it.

Also, no one has answered the question yet . With no mics, just the FP10 connected to the PC, set up as the masterpiece of art shows, would I be able to record?
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

My thought on running to record from the output of an amp is that it will degrade the sound.
I feel its best to go direct out from a drum module, (or even out using MIDI...) to an interface.

Running a mixer will allow you to split the main output to both an interface and the PA.
I know many people who run this type of setup live on stage so that they can get the mix they like on their monitor while allowing the house to tweak to their taste all they want.

Larger mixers have group outs which you can assign each channel to..something like a second mix.

Tweaks guide has an explanation on it all...linked in my sig
Last edited by moody07747 at May 30, 2008,
Quote by moody07747

My thought on running to record from the output of an amp is that it will degrade the sound.
I feel its best to go direct out from a drum module, (or even out using MIDI...) to an interface.

Running a mixer will allow him to split the main output to both an interface and the PA.
I know many people who run this type of setup live on stage so that they can get the mix they like on their monitor while allowing the house to tweak to their taste all they want.

So if I connect the e-kit to the FP10 using midi, then run the midi out from the FP10 to the PA, would that work?

Also, would converting a guitar lead to XLR mic connector reduce the quality much? The FP10 only seems to have 2 guitar line in inputs, but plently of XLR inputs. I'm really confused

Note: Here are some images, will this record the 2 guitars, bass and ekit at the same time?

Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

Sending MIDI from the drum kit will do nothing at all, MIDI is not sound and does not include any audio data at all.

Ideally you'd want to send the direct out from the guitars and amp into the XLR/TRS combos on channels 1,2, and 3. You could then either send the main stereo outputs of the drums to 4 & 5.

It will get the signals, but the quality won't be that great. For best results you want to use mics on the guitar cabs, and get a different feed from each drum on the kit.
BUMPing it up..... Still looking for a definite answer please!
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

Yes, you can connect the direct outputs from all he instruments and the drum module into channels on the FP10 and record them.
At least on the bass I think you'd be better off going DI and using the amp as a monitor rather that running through the bass amp's line out. Then slap a VST on the bass like Hellian's 1st or 2nd.

On the guitar I'd mic them, but if you can't then work with what you've got.

Typically your amp's line out will suck tone.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic