I was just sat there, playing guitar, when I played a D. As I played it I realised, orange, D is orange. I then began to think of all the other chords and could immediately associate a colour with them, they are as follows

A - Yellow
B - Red
C - Yellow also
D - Orange
E - Black
F - Brown
G - Green

I waited a while to make myself forget them, then renamed em all and got the same ideas... it's weird, anyone else do this? Even though it serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

it happens to alot of people, google colour scales in images.

can be useful for painting- i did a project painting chords and melodies, it was fun
now extra flamey
same with me

a-yellow
b-blue
c-blue
d-blue
e-white
f-red
g-green

anything minor is just a darker shade, also.
That is so unfair... I want to be synaesthetic!!!
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
Quote by clearchaos

a-yellow
b-blue
c-blue
d-blue

e-white
f-red
g-green

Hmm...

Somebody here is too high. Probably TS.
It's a good thing? I thought it was me just being retarded lol, I don't have colours for the minor chords but the sharps of each chord have the same colour as it's previous semitone, if you will, i.e. F# will be brown, because F is.. excluding B->C obviously.. odd
I looked up the synesthesia? thing, and was fair confused by all the psychology talk, meh.. wow s'if lol
Is synesthesia this years OCD? Where everyone pretends or tries to make believe that they have it by relating some random thought pattern to it?

Synesthesia isn't just something you deal with, it's life altering and rare.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Korsakov associated each key with a different color. All I know is that he called C white.
Korsakov's synesthia:

Tonic note Color
C white
D yellow
E flat dark bluish-grey
E sparkling sapphire
F green
G rich gold
A rosy colored
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at May 30, 2008,
Quote by Rankles
Is synesthesia this years OCD? Where everyone pretends or tries to make believe that they have it by relating some random thought pattern to it?

how is it life altering?
i've had it ever since i can remember, and there are/were no deep psycological impacts to deal with.
i just see colors when i hear/play music. what's the big deal?
Quote by Rankles

Its not that rare. Its also a spectrum of conditions and not simply one. Some people would have their vision debilitated by intrusive music, others might simply smell sausages that weren't there. As awareness of a condition grows, obviously mopre people are going to realise thye have it, beuase what they originally thought of as simply a wierd quirk suddenly has a name. Thats all it is. Idiot.

On the other hand, unless you actually see these colours its not really synth. Could be perfect pitch tho. Get a friend to play a mixture of chords/notes behind your back and guess (or name, if you do have synth or PP!) to find out. I did it with a mate and he got about 85% right, so thats a benchmark for good ear but no cigar.
i got that too but mines a bit weak.. im trying to develop it
for me its
A - Green
B - Blue
C - Yellow
D - none
F - yellow/orange
G - none
Quote by Deliriumbassist
So do you see bursts of colour or what, exactly?

i just see the colors fade in and out as im playing/listening.
Quote by conceptne
Its not that rare. Its also a spectrum of conditions and not simply one. Some people would have their vision debilitated by intrusive music, others might simply smell sausages that weren't there. As awareness of a condition grows, obviously mopre people are going to realise thye have it, beuase what they originally thought of as simply a wierd quirk suddenly has a name. Thats all it is. Idiot.

On the other hand, unless you actually see these colours its not really synth. Could be perfect pitch tho. Get a friend to play a mixture of chords/notes behind your back and guess (or name, if you do have synth or PP!) to find out. I did it with a mate and he got about 85% right, so thats a benchmark for good ear but no cigar.

Describes me quite well.
As I play the chord, put my hands on the chord, I just think of the colour, it's not so much when I'm learning things but if I do go through a progression, I.e., G Em C D I do think.. green black yellow orange.. REALLY subconsciously, I've been playing guitar for two years and when I noticed that it happened, I was really surprised to realise that I've done it all along. Em, though, is a bit weird, it's more of a grey-ey colour, and I generally don't have many colours for other chords than I've mentioned.
Am is yellow too.. but that's it..

Edit:
Also, what's really weird, I do get A and C mixed up a lot when trying to figure out chords..
Last edited by matth05 at May 30, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
How the hell do you develop it? Surely it's a problem with your neural pathways or brain?

He might mean it as in associating the colour with the note rather than actually seeing it. If I am correct that is the basic idea behind this teach yourself perfect pitch course.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
I'm not sure if it's the same thing but Vladimir Nabokov had something similar. Every word had a colour and phrases were all different...

He goes on about it for a while in Speak, Memory.

Pretty amazing really.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
Whilst I've never had this with colours, I have (and I know a few others have) associated music with shapes. I couldn't recall the shapes, they just appear sometimes.