hey,
im thinking about putting some Seymour Duncan Distortion's into my Ibanez S370 as the pick ups in it are to be honest crap

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh6_duncan_dist/

i was recommended them from a guy that works in a guitar repair shop.
the guitar has a basswood body if i remember correctly.

Are this pick ups any good? it would be the matched set im getting anyway

thanks in advance
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
I see that you also own a valveking and I know from experience with those pickups and that amp that if you run your guitar into a nice overdrive pedal and crank the volume on the pedal that pushes the tubes in the amp harder giving you amazing tone. I used that combo only my guitar was an Epi Les Paul and it sounded really good for low tunings so go for the pickups and try what I told you, you will not be letdown.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
yep, them's some dandy fine pickups
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Thanks mate, which one is the trem-spaced one? Im guessing its the TB-6.

any idea of what the neck one is that comes with the set?
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
they are both distortion humbuckers, one is just voiced for the neck and the other voiced for the bridge
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
they are both distortion humbuckers, one is just voiced for the neck and the other voiced for the bridge

oh, which one is which then?

thanks
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
what type of tone are you after? what country are you in? (affects value)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd hold off on the Duncans until you've checked out the UK based pickup companies, seeing as you're in the UK after all.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
what type of tone are you after? what country are you in? (affects value)

erm, metal basically

UK

Quote by Prophet of Page
I'd hold off on the Duncans until you've checked out the UK based pickup companies, seeing as you're in the UK after all.

such as?
wouldn't they be more expensive and harder to get hold of?
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
i like them alright, they're good quality, i prefer dimarzio (i don't know if SD has this policy) but with dimarzio if you don't like the pickup, within 30 days you can swap it with another dimarzio for free. Just call them and they'll talk with you about your guitar and the sound you want and they'll make suggestions. in my ibanez i have the Super Distortion/ PAF Pro set and i love it, just some ideas.

EDIT: if you're in the UK i'd go for bareknuckles. I've only heard them in person on one guitar over here, but it had a great tone. and he wasn't using anything really special, so i think it had alot to do with the pickups too, not sure what model he was using. sorry.
Quote by Chad11491

EDIT: if you're in the UK i'd go for bareknuckles. I've only heard them in person on one guitar over here, but it had a great tone. and he wasn't using anything really special, so i think it had alot to do with the pickups too, not sure what model he was using. sorry.

I just checked their site, they are way too much.
I also don't know any place that sells dimarzio's, neither have i played any
not that i know to anyways

Thanks again
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
look into swineshead or rockmonkey then, perhaps. i have a set of swinesheads, they're really nice pickups, and i hear good things about rockmonkey pickups, they're wound by UG member courduroyEW (something like that, anyway).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
look into swineshead or rockmonkey then, perhaps. i have a set of swinesheads, they're really nice pickups, and i hear good things about rockmonkey pickups, they're wound by UG member courduroyEW (something like that, anyway).

woahh those Swineshead are awesome!
specially that one
http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/xbucker.shtml
but I would put those into my other Ibanez to be honest
they're not too expensive either

Thanks

Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Ok, these are absolutely great pickups, honestly, but they completely butcher the cleans, and I'm talking really bad, solid state ish cleans, go for a Seymour JH-4, one of their best pickups.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by Dust_to_Dust
woahh those Swineshead are awesome!
specially that one
http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/xbucker.shtml
but I would put those into my other Ibanez to be honest
they're not too expensive either

Thanks

Well, what kind of tones are you looking to get out of your S?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by DSchmitty
Ok, these are absolutely great pickups, honestly, but they completely butcher the cleans, and I'm talking really bad, solid state ish cleans, go for a Seymour JH-4, one of their best pickups.

JH-4?
I think you mean the SH-4, the JB model.

The guy at the shop said it isnt the pickup im after for the music i play.
he recommened the distortion set as i said above.
Can the SH-4 set deliver thrash metal?

Quote by steven seagull
Well, what kind of tones are you looking to get out of your S?

well, more so metal but with good cleans, as the pickups that are in it now are really lacking, theyre really muddy and does not sound too great really.
Lets say thrash metal, or just metal to be honest, Metallica would be great though.
It seems that the Seymour Duncan Distortions are really good though.

Thanks
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Last edited by Dust_to_Dust at May 30, 2008,
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
JH-4?
I think you mean the SH-4, the JB model.

The guy at the shop said it isnt the pickup im after for the music i play.
he recommened the distortion set as i said above.
Can the SH-4 set deliver thrash metal?

well, more so metal but with good cleans, as the pickups that are in it now are really lacking, theyre really muddy and does not sound too great really.
Lets say thrash metal, or just metal to be honest, Metallica would be great though.
It seems that the Seymour Duncan Distortions are really good though.

Thanks

They're not what I'd be looking at...the Swineshead Warthog would be a better bet. For Duncans you'd be better off with the Custom. For the neck you probably want something a bit more moderate, so a Swineshead Runaway or Duncan 59.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
They're not what I'd be looking at...the Swineshead Warthog would be a better bet. For Duncans you'd be better off with the Custom. For the neck you probably want something a bit more moderate, so a Swineshead Runaway or Duncan 59.

Which custom though?
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh5_duncan_cust/
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh11_custom_cus/
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh14_custom_5/

would the distortions be good in a basswood body anyway?

Thanks

EDIT:

I just found out here http://www.ibanezregister.com/Gallery/S%20series/gal-s370.htm
that the body is mahogany and not basswood.
is this better or worse?

does this mean that ill have to choose different pickups or not?

Help appriciated

Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Last edited by Dust_to_Dust at May 30, 2008,
i might be inclined to consider the venom for thrash metal tones... the warthog's more of an all-rounder than a metal pickup. i'd say it's noticeably less hot than a JB, for example.

runaway for the neck sounds good, i'd have thought. your best bet is to email swineshead with all your info to see what they recommend...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i might be inclined to consider the venom for thrash metal tones... the warthog's more of an all-rounder than a metal pickup. i'd say it's noticeably less hot than a JB, for example.

runaway for the neck sounds good, i'd have thought. your best bet is to email swineshead with all your info to see what they recommend...

I'll second the Venom for thrash, but emailing swineshead is the best way to get the right pickup for you. They're making custom pickups too now, so you could, say, tweak the Venom or Warthog pickups to your liking to make them suit you better.

Either way, I'd be inclined to go with Swineshead over Duncan, I have a set of Duncans in one guitar and a Swineshead in another and the swineshead to me is a better sounding pickup. The Duncans are certainly nice, but Swineshead are better value.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

I'd lean more towards the venom with a mahogany body, more output and more treble response to balance with the wood.

[/hastilycontrivedbacktracking]
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^ worth considering, though. what's your venom in again, tim, an SZ?

Quote by timi_hendrix

Did you end up changing the Duncans in your Edwards Dave?

are you kidding? i haven't even got as far as changing the strings yet...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, the SZ. Works nicely with the Mahogany.

And at the Edwards. Worked out how to change strings on a non-floyd bridge now?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
just about. my next challenge is changing strings on a non-locking trem guitar.

people always say floyds are difficult, and in one way they are, but in another way they do let you get away with extremely crap stringing technique...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?