I've had a squier strat for around a year now, and i want to improve the sound. Acutually, i guess my question is more along the lines of what is the difference b/t a 'real' strat and a squier. Cause a played a SRV edition @ guitar center, and let me tell you, it was AWESOME!!! Being someone who is teaching himself guitar, i couldn't quite put my finger on the 'why' it was so awesome. Thats where i need a little help. Are real fender strats just squier strats w/ better pickups? Is there better wood quality? What are the differences? And how can i make mine sound better. I'm looking for something relatively cheap, but will consider more expensive things as time wears on. Please reccomend/refer me to things (string swaps, pickups, bridges w/e) that will improve the sound.
Better quality control, materials, better action, better hardware, better all around quality...

If I were you, I'd save money on upgrading the squier and go get a MIM Strat..

Even a really cheap low end MIM strat would be a huge step up from the squier..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Throw it in the bin. Yeah lol sorry but really if you want a better sound, get a better guitar, otherwise you'll end up having a guitar that's vastly unpopular but sells well, and that everyone now calls "The Beginner's Guitar". I actually have an Encore Stratocaster, but it's custom with different hardware and everything. Your choice my friend
Last edited by Static The Band at May 30, 2008,
well, i dont know if you mean by feel or by sound but a good pickup can change sound like a magic trick. it also might be that the neck is a bit glossed or it is better wood.

if i were to by somekind of strat i would take the time to save up to buy this one if you dont already have this kind of money

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103630810-i1148847.gc
a squire strat is like an infant compared to a real fender.. it just isnt developed yet.
Quote by KOL40
MIM = made in mexico?

Yep, but I'm not sure if he meant that they are low quality, because while they're not American Strats, they're still great instruments.
Quote by TheProducer
Yep, but I'm not sure if he meant that they are low quality, because while they're not American Strats, they're still great instruments.

Well Mexico is located in America....so technically a mexi-strat is an american strat :-P
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
Quote by CrabShrapnel
Well Mexico is located in America....so technically a mexi-strat is an american strat :-P

Well, America the country, not as in North America.
Quote by TheProducer

Oh no, I'm not saying that they're low quality..

I was saying the lower end MIM strats are extremely affordable and are a huge step up from a squer. MIM strats are great.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at May 30, 2008,
Quote by Reildeal
Oh no, I'm not saying that they're low quality..

I was saying the lower end MIM strats are extremely affordable and are a huge step up from a squer. Not all the MIM strats.

Okay, I getcha. But what exactly is a lower end MIM and how do you tell it apart from a higher end MIM? Are we talking different models or...? I made the assumption that a MIM Standard Strat was a MIM Standard Strat. Unless we're simply talking build quality/quality control from guitar to guitar.
Price Point was essentially my suggestion...

Maybe "lower end" was the wrong term to use.

But yeah, there are multiple issues and models of MIM strats as well, including Factory Special Run...

For instance, mine is a MIM Lite Ash Strat Factory Special Run and was a little more expensive that a lot of the other MIM strats I was looking at when I bought it...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
Price Point was essentially my suggestion...

Maybe "lower end" was the wrong term to use.

But yeah, there are multiple issues and models of MIM strats as well, including Factory Special Releases...

Right, makes sense. I'm aware there are different models. I just wanted to make sure the a MIM regular Stratocaster was the same as another (ignoring quality control issues). It's the MIM that sets the price point and makes it "lower-end" when compared to an American Strat.
Quote by Reildeal
For instance, mine is a MIM Lite Ash Strat Factory Special Run and was a little more expensive that a lot of the other MIM strats I was looking at when I bought it...

I hear ya. You're right there are different models with better pickups, etc. I was just trying to make sure that an MIM compared to a MIM of the same model is the same guitar.