I've been playing an Epiphone G-400 for years, but I've joined a jazz band in the last year and am looking for something a little more versatile, something that would sound decent playing both jazz and heavy-ish rock/metal. I know it might be a bit of a stretch.

My guitar teacher recommended a Strat, but he said to get a second opinion, so....here I am. Any suggestions?
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
HSS Strat or "Fat Strat"

2 single coils and a humbucker in the bridge. Makes it very versatile.
what amp are you using?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^Some ****ty Drive one at home(although I've seen worse), and then there's several different ones I use for the jazz band, I've been given money to get a new one though for the jazz band specifically.

because they're free

i'd consider something like a les paul to be honest. my edwards gets a pretty good jazz tone from the neck pickup (note i'm not a jazzer, though), and can handle the heavier stuff quite well too (though isn't just as tight-sounding as an out-and-out metal guitar- though a more metal-orientated bridge pickup would help there).

so, er, yeah. something like a les paul (or quality (e.g. japanese) copy ) with a hotter bridge pickup and vintage/low output neck pickup might be my choice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
a les paul (or quality (e.g. japanese) copy ) with a hotter bridge pickup and vintage/low output neck pickup might be my choice.

this^

I think the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Set (JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck) would be perfect for what youre after with a nice Les Paul style guitar.
Last edited by B. Jammin at May 30, 2008,
i'm not sure about the jb... it's not bad for hard rock, but in my edwards it's a little flubby for the really metally stuff. something like a BK miracle man (or equivalent distortion ceramic pickup from another company) might be better to be a bit tighter... depends on the ratio of hard rock to metal, of course, and the tone required...

i have the '59 in the neck, which does jazz pretty well, but i suspect the jazz might be better if jazz is the priority.

in ireland though, duncans are pretty dear for what they are... if you ask me there are better options for the price...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A SH Telecaster or a Fender highway one Strat. Ownage
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
If you want it jazzy, a low output humbucker in the bridge is definitely what you want. Usually I'd tell you to look for a semi acoustic or jazzbox, but if you want metal as well you should take a look at guitars with a heavy body made of mahogany and a set neck, to get a jazzy warm tone and a good metal tone.
But how 'metal' does it have to be? Do you want it more like Iron Maiden or like Metallica or Slayer maybe? Also, what is your budget?
I dunno, something around the likes of Maiden metal say generally, I probably wouldn't play heavier than that myself.

My budget, I'm estimating is somewhere around €650-700

because they're free

Quote by con job
I dunno, something around the likes of Maiden metal say generally, I probably wouldn't play heavier than that myself.

My budget, I'm estimating is somewhere around €650-700

In that case, you might consider a semi-acoustic. They are great for Jazz and some work for rock and can get pretty heavy if they need to. BUT BEWARE: This definitely is not for everyone. Some people say those guitars work for hard and heavy music, some people think they don't. It's really subjective, so always try before you buy. For me it works, so maybe it will for you, too.
Take a look at these guitars, I have tried them all and think they might be just what you're looking for:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_sa503_tvltbr.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_as103nt.htm

The Yamaha has quite some bite because of the p-90s, the Ibanez is slightly warmer and darker sounding. See what you like better.

If the above two are not an option though, look at this one:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_renegade_pro_natur.htm

Quality wise, it beats anything in it's price range (I'd take it over an American Deluxe Fender any day). Excellent tonewood, perfect craftsmanship and great pickups make this one of the best guitars you can get. Note that it is so cheap because the finish is only oil (though that is nothing negative). If you order one of the spray painted versions, you'll pay a whole lot more.
I'd say a fat strat or les paul ultra ii(never played that model, but it looks pretty solid)
Why not try an Ibanez SA?I've one and it's pretty versatile
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
jacko soloist?
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
fender jaguar baritone special HH? epiphone dot? fender Jazzmaster? HSS Strat? thinline 72' tele or 72' tele deluxe/custom? these are just random ideas and whats your price range?
Quote by con job
^Some ****ty Drive one at home(although I've seen worse), and then there's several different ones I use for the jazz band, I've been given money to get a new one though for the jazz band specifically.

ok, just make sure you have a nice little tube amp to use.

as far as guitrs go. i love my schecter pt.
it's modeled after a 72' tele deluxe.

it's got two humbuckers with push pull pots.
probably my most versatile guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
http://www.thomann.de/ie/ibanez_sa260fmamb.htm

You guys are way better than me at this, how does that ^ measure up(in terms of versatility)?

P.S: Thanks for everyone who posted, it's been a big help to me, I'm considering all recommedations

because they're free

Last edited by con job at May 31, 2008,
It's pretty good. you can churn out nice hard rock/metal tones out of it's humbucker, and give a singlecoil tone from its neck and mid pickups. Not as awesome as a strat, but it's more versatile.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
I'd say get a Fender Fat Strat (HSS). That way you get the versatility of a HSS setup, lending to good cleans and good distorted tones. Great guitar.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
definatly a les paul, was designed for jazz afterall
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_mex_std_fatstrat.htm

http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_std_strat_hss_rw_elb.htm

http://www.thomann.de/ie/ibanez_sa260fmamb.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_sa503_tvltbr.htm

I've narrowed it down to these, I think, and also an American Strat my guitar teacher is offering to sell me. I'd love to get the Yamaha, but I don't think I'll have that much money.

because they're free

i recomend a simple fender strat. if you definately want something else, maybe a gibson les paul? dunno... but i'd definately go with a strat. maybe put some different pups in there (im not good with knowing which pups to pick).

just got to your local guitar center and play tons of guitars. test em out on lots of different settings.
I hear Jazz and Heavy Rock/Metal?

Mind says Les Paul.

Has more depth for jazz than an SG, has the bite and grit for heavier stuff too.
i'd definitely want a neck humbucker for jazz, to be honest. not getting one is a bit like wanting a metal guitar and getting one without a bridge humbucker... in my opinion, anyway. it's just the right tool for the job....
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So look for something with a neck humbucker, and a single coil at the bridge....? I amy go with the Yamaha one so, that has P90's and I've heard they're close, if not entirely like humbuckers?

because they're free

if you want hard rock as well, i'd probably want a bridge humbucker too.

p90s sound kinda halfway between humbuckers and fender-style singles, but they are single coils. should work for jazz, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Anything you can personally recommend with a neck and bridge humbucker, besides a Les Paul? I'm not eliminating a Les Paul from my considerations either though

EDIT: This is one of the first ones I found, but something along the lines of this?

http://www.thomann.de/ie/ibanez_ags83batf.htm

because they're free

Last edited by con job at Jun 5, 2008,
EDIT: ^ ooh, that's very nice, but i haven't tried it. i'm not too well up on pure jazz guitars unfortunately. if you want the ability to get heavy as well, though, i'd steer clear of hollowbodies...

some of the washburn pros are quite nice, the x50pro and wi65pro in particular are excellent value (gak (£300) and machinehead (£239) respectively)... only problem is they might rip you for postage...

you have a load of options to be honest, there are hundreds of guitars with HH layouts... those washburns are probably my pick of the value ones, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know you're recommending a humbucker in the neck, but I played an Ibanez SA today (HSS) and I was blown away! I more than likely will buy that and a new amp, but I'll see

because they're free

no worries, if you've tried the neck single coil and it does what you want, that's fair enough. you need to get what you want, now what other people think you want...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Right, I've decided on an Ibanez SA.

Amp recommendations....? I have about €250-300....? Thanks once again in advance!

because they're free

id say schecter c-1 classic. sweet guitar, VERY versatile
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
look for a HSH configuration. Such as an S series Ibanez. Versatility right there, and if you want, you can change the neck pup to a jazzy pup, and the bridge to a more high output. Try DiMarzio or Seymour-Duncan
Quote by con job
Right, I've decided on an Ibanez SA.

Amp recommendations....? I have about €250-300....? Thanks once again in advance!

probably a roland cube or vox valvetronix, just try them both to see which you prefer... make sure to avoid the cube 15 and 20x as well, as they don't have amp modelling (which is, generally, what you want).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would recommend a schecter c-1 classic, i use it and you can get either of those tones that you need. Other than that, a Gibson (or epi) les paul or fender fat strat would also be good investments at this point.