There's a custom 5-string bass that a friend of mine built (yes he's a pro) that I ought to get but I don't like it much, mainly because the nut is really narrow and the body is friggin huge. I don't know if I'd get used to it or not. It's really easy to play until you get to the end of the neck, then it feels really really tight. The bridge was supposed to be wide, but it still feels like there's no room to slap, I can hit the other strings pretty easily.

So anyway, is this normal or common? Why would you want a narrow nut on a bass? Hate to pass it up but it's just kinda weird. I have only owned one bass, and it's probably nearly 20 years old now so I don't exactly know what is typical or whatever.
lol sorry i'm of no help but the title really mad me laugh =/
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
I hate narrow nuts. I hate really thin necks. However, I don't have trouble slapping on an Ibanez Ergodyne 5er, which has a dead small string spacing. Your slapping problem is down to technique.

If you don't like the bass, don't shell out for it. Simple as.
Well, quite honestly, that is the only 5-string I've ever picked up. They could all be narrow as far as I know. I've always wanted a 5-string but I don't know what a good one feels like. All I know is that this guy built my custom electric guitar and it's the sweetest thing ever. Most of his stuff is way out of my price range so I hate to pass it up. I did play this one for 15 minutes the other night. It felt like it played itself when I was playing melodic stuff like "Ramble On" and "Black Dog" by Led Zep, or "Sweet Child" by guns and roses... VERY easy to play, but most of those songs are in the 5th through 12th fret range. When I got to the end of the neck, it felt weird. He said I'd be used to it in 2 days, and that 5 strings are normally played closer to the body anyway, so I shouldn't worry about it. I think I want a 5 string that plays like a good 4 string but with a little bit of extra flexibility with that top string, but maybe they're an entirely different beast.
yes, definatly don't get it if you don't like playing it, is that not logical?

I'm not a major fan of thin necks either - it feel like you're plaing a broom handle.
Is the bass neck set, thru, or bolt on? If it is bolt on, you can just replace it later if you want.

Oh, to be honest, the only reason I posted in this thread was for the title. /lol
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Am I the first in the thread to like thin necks?

I've got stubby paw-fingers and hardly any reach. I take any advantage I can get.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
I love my Ibanez SR800 because a) its 24 frets and b) it has a fast thin neck. But I don't like their 5ers because of the tight string spacing.

Ben's probably right, if I really worked at slap technique it wouldn't be such a huge issue, but of all of the 5 string basses I tried I like the Ibanez the least because of that factor.
I like thin necks on 4 strings, but a little more substance on fivers. but, when I pick up fivers, I tend to slap a little more.
I find picking and chords easier with thin nuts. Slapping is easier with wide nuts. It depends on the style you play most.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I played this bass again on Saturday. I guess I'm already getting used to it, I dunno. Didn't seem as cramped as before, was probably a shock value thing because I had never picked up a five string before. Actually, in ways, it's easier to play than my 4 string. I just have no idea why. When I play the melody to Ramble On or Sweet Child o' Mine, it almost plays itself, the frets are closer together seems like and it's just very easy to fret and very easy to pluck. Mine you have to kill the strings with both hands to get a decent sound. So, the more I play it, the more I like it.
Quote by corndogggy
I played this bass again on Saturday. I guess I'm already getting used to it, I dunno. Didn't seem as cramped as before, was probably a shock value thing because I had never picked up a five string before. Actually, in ways, it's easier to play than my 4 string. I just have no idea why. When I play the melody to Ramble On or Sweet Child o' Mine, it almost plays itself, the frets are closer together seems like and it's just very easy to fret and very easy to pluck. Mine you have to kill the strings with both hands to get a decent sound. So, the more I play it, the more I like it.

Is it short scale?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
Is it short scale?

He didn't mention it as being short scale, but when I play stuff like the intro to Sweet Child o' Mine, on my old bass I have to slide my fingers on that run and skip over the frets, but on this custom one I can easily just spread my fingers out and hit all the notes without moving my hand.