Page 1 of 2
yeah, i have a Line 6 75w now, and believe it or not, its not TOO bad, but then again, its not good. so ill probably have around $600 to spend on an amp. I play everything from A7X to Bullet For My Valentine, and Arch Enemy to Children of Bodom. i admire Alexi's sound most so i'd really like to find an amp with that kinda sound. Preferably i'd like to have a combo amp, cause i really dont need to be lugging a stack around to practice, and small gigs.

I was looking into a Peavey XXX 60w combo (the one thats been discontinued) and i really like it, but they're EXTREMELY hard to come by used. anything else like it or better?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by ninazu_gates
peavey valveking 212 imo

Valveking isnt a good choice for that type of metal and to even get it to do metal he is going over his budget.. Theres alot of cheaper choices out there that will do it better and right out of the box no tweaks needed.
Used 5150 combo.

just /thread, honestly.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Valveking isnt a good choice for that type of metal and to even get it to do metal he is going over his budget.. Theres alot of cheaper choices out there that will do it better and right out of the box no tweaks needed.

...like...
Ibanez AEL 12-string

i looked on youtube and saw a video of some guy testing out a Peavey Ultra Plus, and it looks like a halfstack, but i cant find an Ultra Plus on guitarcenter.com or musicians friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrJnDgOturI&feature=related
yeah its a halfstack, but i do like the sound. do or did they make a combo, and where could i get one?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by Yngwi3
Used 5150 combo.

just /thread, honestly.

i dont think Yngwi3 will ever suggest something else. I have to agree though; for the secondhand price, a 5150 is the best bang for your buck you're likley to find. Much better than the VK (although most people find the 5150's cleans to be somewhat sterile)
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
hmmm im not seein it. all ebay shows is a bunch of amp covers.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by bjovi400
i looked on youtube and saw a video of some guy testing out a Peavey Ultra Plus, and it looks like a halfstack, but i cant find an Ultra Plus on guitarcenter.com or musicians friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrJnDgOturI&feature=related
yeah its a halfstack, but i do like the sound. do or did they make a combo, and where could i get one?

All the amps i posted you will need to purchase used as most are no longer around. Only new one is the Randall...

Also i own a Ultra Plus 120 and love the tone and its pretty versatile. Theres a quick clip i made last night in my profile. Its not perfect in any way but still gives you an idea...
Quote by david_safc
Alexi uses Marshalls, JVM's I'm pretty sure.

Not even close....

Heres his rack setup....

Alexi ESPs with EMGHZs
Afterburner pickup booster
Rocktron RSP 2400 Noisegate/Enhancer
Rocktron Intellifex
Tech 21 PSA-1 Sansamp
Lee Jackson GP-1000
VHT 2:90:2

Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 30, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Not even close....

Heres his rack setup....

Alexi ESPs with EMGHZs
SD-1 Boost
Rocktron RSP 2400 Noisegate/Enhancer
Rocktron Intellifex
Tech 21 PSA-1 Sansamp
Lee Jackson GP-1000
VHT 2:90:2

They used Marshalls and Kranks when they recorded Blooddrunk, go on youtube and search for their studio diaries if you don't believe me. I wasn't sure about his live rig, which I'm guessing is what you posted. All I knew is that he uses the Lee Jackson.
ok to give you guys a little bit more of the kind of sound i want, heres a clip of the Peavey XXX 60w

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t9Me_zYbwKY

so what kind of Peavey? ill try to keep a look out for a used Ultra Plus at my Guitar Center. any others?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by shredhead22
i dont think Yngwi3 will ever suggest something else.

I will when we stopp getting threads which are asking for high gain amps for around £500/$500
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

i just got back from guitar center, and i played around with a few amps, and i think im gonna go with a Peavey JSX head and a 212.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Did you try a 6505? The JSX is realllllly not brutal enough for CoB type stuff.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
Did you try a 6505? The JSX is realllllly not brutal enough for CoB type stuff.

He's got a good point. TS, why are you ignoring evey post that reccomends a 5150/6505?
You need to remember that Alexi uses a Lee Jackson Pre-amp which contributes a great deal to his sound. As for amps you coudl go for the 5150 but he does use VHT's live.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Also, I am SURE that Alexi has used 5150s quite a bit in his time. Not positive, but I seem to remember a pic somewhere...
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

i tried a new 6505 head with a 412 cab, and it just didnt do it for me. it didn't have that searing brootal metal tone that i was hoping it would. im sure it would with an overdrive, but the JSX had it with just the head, nothing else. the only thing i need with it is a reverb pedal for it.

i also tried the ValveKing 100w head with a 412 and like someone said earlier, it isnt great for metal. lol

AND i tried some B-52 valve head n cab and it was good, just not great.

oh and i did try, for shits and giggles, the $1,800 Mesa Express 5:50 combo, and that wasnt enough.

so of all the ones i did try, the JSX just stood out most. i just wish it had reverb. ...damnit. lol
Ibanez AEL 12-string

[quote="bjovi400]i tried a new 6505 head with a 412 cab, and it just didnt do it for me. it didn't have that searing brootal metal tone that i was hoping it would.

It had to broken/warn out tubes. It has WAYYYY more gain than you'll ever need. It has a great brutal tone. So just go and buy a used one now. There are no better alternatives (for the price).
Last edited by Crabs111 at Jun 1, 2008,
idk dude, that JSX was wicked. i have a while to save up, so ill have some time to think about it. oh and the JSX is used for $849, and the 6505 was $1200 new. but i wasnt ever really paying attention to the price, just the tones
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by bjovi400
idk dude, that JSX was wicked. i have a while to save up, so ill have some time to think about it. oh and the JSX is used for $849, and the 6505 was $1200 new. but i wasnt ever really paying attention to the price, just the tones

Whats your budget anyway?
well, i was shootin for AROUND $600, but im gonna save up more.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

The only way to sound like Alexi is to be Alexi. That guy is a freak. I saw him at Gigantour, and ...wow
Guitars:
ESP KH602 (Skull and Cross Bone inlays, Floyd, EMG 81's)
Hamer Slammer W/ Floyd Rose Trem.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top

Pedals:
Dunlop Original Cry Baby Wah
BOSS ML-2
MXR EVH Phase 90

Amps:
Marshall MG 250 DFX
Quote by bjovi400
well, i was shootin for AROUND $600, but im gonna save up more.

Gonna take a while til you find a JSX at that price... imo.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
theres one at my GC for $849, and if you read what you quoted, i said im gonna save up more
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by bjovi400
i tried a new 6505 head with a 412 cab, and it just didnt do it for me. it didn't have that searing brootal metal tone that i was hoping it would. im sure it would with an overdrive, but the JSX had it with just the head, nothing else. the only thing i need with it is a reverb pedal for it.

i also tried the ValveKing 100w head with a 412 and like someone said earlier, it isnt great for metal. lol

oh and i did try, for shits and giggles, the $1,800 Mesa Express 5:50 combo, and that wasnt enough.

so of all the ones i did try, the JSX just stood out most. i just wish it had reverb. ...damnit. lol

either you didn't eq the 6505 right or it was having problems.
the 6505 kills the JSX in the metal category, no contest.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by bjovi400
it didn't have that searing brootal metal tone

O_O

It's much more brutal than the JSX - I dont think you EQed it right or maybe were playing it through a crappy cab, but hey it's your choice, as long as you tried it
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

He may be looking for recto tone...which is odd because Alexi doesnt use Rectos...... but from what I understand the JSX is closer to recto territory...no?

Live alexi uses the LJ preamp and VHT power amp, but in the studio, like someone else already said, they used marshall and krank amps.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
alexi used to use a 5150 i believe
on "something wild"

and i know either him or roope has been using a krank revolution recently

also if you like the bfmv/arch enemy tone, a 5150/6505 is the way to go
Top lel.
Quote by bjovi400

I lolled.
JSX is no match for the 5150 if it comes to Br3wtalzZ.
I think you played a broken 5150 if you say things like that.
Try one in good condition.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
then again chris amott used one for a while......
id say his tone was teh br00talZ
lol
Top lel.
Used Randall Rm50b combo with the blackface and 1086 modules.
Signatures are overrated.
Page 1 of 2