I've added an extra gain stage to one of my amps and I need a 3pdt switch to level out the volume when switching from high gain to low gain. It's going in my bassman and I want to put the switch in where the bright switch used to be. I can find the switch I need in the USA but can't find it in the UK and I don't want to pay 5 quid shipping for a 50p switch.

Anybody know of a UK shop that sells them? Can't find anything with google.

ps. 4pdt is ok too.
Not taking any online orders.
Not 100% sure, but maplins do switches!

I bought one to make a killswitch, not sure if its the some tho!
www.axetec.co.uk i beilive they do them got great costumer service too and free postage to uk
oh crap i sound like im promoting them :C

edit: i found it : http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec%20guitar%20parts%20spares%20pickups_056.htm

its the bottem one i think it does what you want :S
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Last edited by rancidryan at May 30, 2008,
Quote by Will_Minus

That is exactly what I'm looking for, but digikey is an American company and minimum shipping to the UK is something like 5 quid which is a heck of a lot given that the switch only costs 75p. So if anybody know where I can get one of these from a british based company... Otherwise, I might just have to get it from digikey.

Maplin doesn't have 3pdt slide switches which is too bad given that I get a 33% discount from maplin.

Axetec doesn't have slide switches either.

I could do it with a toggle switch or a button (like on a stomp box) but I really don't want to have to cut up the chassis which is why the slide switch is important.
Quote by CorduroyEW
That is exactly what I'm looking for, but digikey is an American company and minimum shipping to the UK is something like 5 quid which is a heck of a lot given that the switch only costs 75p. So if anybody know where I can get one of these from a british based company... Otherwise, I might just have to get it from digikey.

Maplin doesn't have 3pdt slide switches which is too bad given that I get a 33% discount from maplin.

I could do it with a toggle switch or a button (like on a stomp box) but I really don't want to have to cut up the chassis which is why the slide switch is important.

They have two-position DPDTs:

http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec%20guitar%20parts%20spares%20pickups_070.htm

Edit:

Have you tried Rapid Electronics?

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Switches/Slide-Switches
Last edited by -MintSauce- at May 30, 2008,
^Still only dpdt and I need 3pdt. Thats all I can find on rapid as well. Rapids search function sucks tho so it's possible they do have them. I might have to phone them on monday.
(Smaller) toggle switches fit in that slot. Shouldn't be too hard to find 3pdt versions of those.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^Still only dpdt and I need 3pdt. Thats all I can find on rapid as well. Rapids search function sucks tho so it's possible they do have them. I might have to phone them on monday.

Hmm, I can only find 3PDT stomps in my little searches.

Sorry I couldn't actually help, and good luck!
^yeah... Thats what I ran into as well. Thanks for trying tho.

Cheers
Quote by CorduroyEW

My bad, I got to that page after clicking the UK link on the bottom of the page.

EDIT: I think I found a 4pdt on what might be the real UK site.
http://dkc3.digikey.com/pdf/UK081/1801-1804.pdf
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Last edited by Will_Minus at May 30, 2008,
What exactly will you be switching / what do you need that third SPDT for?
^I've taken out the bright switches all together. The guitar channel is now an AA185 circuit with the bright switch alway on. Where the bright switch was I now have a negative feedback switch.

The bass chanel has been turned into the normal channel of a tweed bassman and I'm using the extra half tube for a switchable gain stage. The switch for this gain stage is already a DPDT. I have added a master volume onto the tone stack but it doesn't sound good when I turn that down enough to play at a comfortable level. By adding a resistor after the tone stack I can level out volume and still sound good but that zapps all my power when the extra gain stage is off. Using a 3pdt switch will let me switch the bleed resistor on and off at the same time I turn the gain stage on and off.

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
maplin do 4PDT toggles. i have one

Yeah, but I'm being picky so that I don't have to drill my chassis. I need a slide switch not just a regular toggle.

Quote by Will_Minus
My bad, I got to that page after clicking the UK link on the bottom of the page.

EDIT: I think I found a 4pdt on what might be the real UK site.
http://dkc3.digikey.com/pdf/UK081/1801-1804.pdf

Another very good try but unfortunatly it's still digikey. They have US and UK sites but it all gets shipped from the US even when you order it from the UK site. Thanks for trying though.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at May 31, 2008,
You really can't put that resistor inside the DPDT? Maybe a voltage divider after the gain stage?
^I want to overdrive the tube powering my tone stack so the voltage divider has to be after the tone stack which means it needs it's own switch or it needs a 3pdt switch.

Edit:

Here is a link to what I've got the amp sounding like now. It's a squier strat that had the paint removed with a blow tourch and then was dumped in a ditch to rust. A friend of my found it and gave it to me and now It's my main guitar. This is a '62 style pickup in the neck position with the treble and bass at 3 mids all the way up. No pedals and no FX. Starts out on the clean chanel turned up just enough to get some drive then I switch to the high gain.

http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/sounds/testing/SG_62_neck_shellac_testing_new_amp.mp3

I've got it sounding almost the way I want it to. Just trying to smooth out the distortion a little without using a tube screamer. I'm not sure if what I want is actually possible though.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at May 31, 2008,