Okay, this is my first guitar build, im not really building it, just assembling so far. my plan:

Jackson body and professionally scalloped neck,
EMG 81-85 combo,
LED's.

a little comparison:

im using a telecaster 3pos switch

EMG's all wired up with mock up custom back plate:

LED switch

now, since this is going to be my heavy metal only guitar, i need some ideas for designs i could put into my body for my LEDs. Im looking for something fairly original, but hardcore. so, that means no skull and crossbones, etc. etc. this is my first and only decent idea at the moment. oh yeah... im a gun guy.

any other ideas?!?! I REALLY need some.

oh yeah, one more "technical" question.
I want these LEDs to come on when I strum. How would I do that? i thought about tapping into the power from my EMGs output, and using a second volume control (rheostat) for the sensitivity, then to my LEDs. but, i dont want to mess up the sound from the EMGs. How would you do that?

thanks in advance.
Well LEDs light up when voltage passes through them so I'm thinking that it could work if you put some with a fairly low turn on voltage (I know...really technical term :p then you could put it after the pickups really anywhere but I have a feeling that it may distort the sound.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Quote by a4lrocker
Well LEDs light up when voltage passes through them so I'm thinking that it could work if you put some with a fairly low turn on voltage (I know...really technical term :p then you could put it after the pickups really anywhere but I have a feeling that it may distort the sound.

exactly. thats why im not doing it that way.

if theres any gearheads in here, how does a timing light work? is that end that clamps around the spark plug wire an electromagnet? im thinking something like that may work. any other ideas are very welcome. like maybe a vibration sensor, or (would a sound sensor work if i found a small enough one?)something like that.
Last edited by 68MUDSTUD at May 30, 2008,
you can send the power down the strings and earth the frets so when the strings touch the frets the LEDs come on

it'd need lots of drilling down the neck and shizz tho =/

you might be able to take a wire in parallel to the signal to an op amp circuit or something, that might work or it might destroy your tone
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
yeah... im not too keen on f***ing up a good scalloped neck like that. haha I have thought about it, though.
AWESOME idea! Thank you very much! I wish I knew how sensitive the microphone is though. i wonder if it would be in sync with my playing or how much delay there would be.
are you planning on putting a few LED's in to shine thru plexiglas or something?

that'd be sweet... kinda H&K style, but guitar!
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
are you planning on putting a few LED's in to shine thru plexiglas or something?

that'd be sweet... kinda H&K style, but guitar!

yessir!

edit: DUDE You just gave me the most AWESOME idea ever! I think i love you right now...

when you said H&K style, I automatically thought of the first couple AR's I built...

YEAH!
Last edited by 68MUDSTUD at May 31, 2008,
That's Super badass.

as for other inlays...

i'll think of something br00talz. maybe like... trogdor eating a baby or something

haha
------

Shwiggity.
why dont you use a piezo mounted in your control cavity? it goes on vibrations, so anytime you strum it would be picking that up, and you could have it directly hooked up to the leds without an output jack.
Quote by rednwhiteblues
why dont you use a piezo mounted in your control cavity? it goes on vibrations, so anytime you strum it would be picking that up, and you could have it directly hooked up to the leds without an output jack.

got a link, hoss? I tried googling it, but too many different things to look at. if it goes off vibration, wouldnt I need to mount it like an extra pickup?
Quote by 68MUDSTUD
got a link, hoss? I tried googling it, but too many different things to look at. if it goes off vibration, wouldnt I need to mount it like an extra pickup?

Hi mate just thought of a bitchin idea, you could buy some piezo bridge saddles which have individual wires for each string, then wire up each saddle to an LED/set of LEDs so then different ones would light up for each string! Don't know if you can get floyd rose style piezo saddles though.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at May 31, 2008,
haha awesome idea, but im not using those kind of bridges, and 100 bucks is a little too much for my taste.
Quote by 68MUDSTUD
yessir!

edit: DUDE You just gave me the most AWESOME idea ever! I think i love you right now...

when you said H&K style, I automatically thought of the first couple AR's I built...

YEAH!

lmao, when i said H&K, i meant Hughes and Kettner!

didn't realize that H&K was also a gun company!

me = silly canuck!
------

Shwiggity.
You could connect the output of your guitar through a 1M or so resistor directly to the microphone input of that kit, probably. You'd need to remove the microphone, and connect wires from the guitar output jack.
Quote by Losenger
You could connect the output of your guitar through a 1M or so resistor directly to the microphone input of that kit, probably. You'd need to remove the microphone, and connect wires from the guitar output jack.

the problem with that is that im afraid it will distort the true sound of my EMG active pickups. otherwise, it would be cake.
If the load you add has a high enough impedance, you might not even hear it.