Page 1 of 2
hey, i was wondering if you guys could suggest me some really big, epic sounding chords. i'm writing a song, and i've got everything (all music and lyrics) except an outro/ending. this is right after the big climax of the song where everything winds down and it needs to be EPIC, lol. please suggest some cool chord extensions that sound big or just have a cool feel to them! thnx

EDIT: key will most likely be D natural minor
____________________ ___________________
..............................................I have epic fail.........................................

Last edited by slashNpage77 at May 31, 2008,
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by ldnovelo
epic? wtf do you mean?

he means epic duh....jeeze are you some kind of retarded(says in a hick voice)
for the 10 millionth time, anything can sound epic, its more about the dynamics of the songs than the chords that are being played. you can play the same chords and make it sound mellow, crazy, intense, epic, sad. its all about the dynamics and how they're played. please at least try the search bar next time as i know i've seen this topic quite a few times.
A5
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Yes, there is one chord that we could pull out of our ass to tell you to play that will make your song end in an epic way. *rolls eyes*

It's not a magic chord; it's a type of cadence, succession of notes, and how everything is played that will decide if it's epic or not.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Key or gtfo.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
Quote by metal4all
Yes, there is one chord that we could pull out of our ass to tell you to play that will make your song end in an epic way. *rolls eyes*

It's not a magic chord; it's a type of cadence, succession of notes, and how everything is played that will decide if it's epic or not.

+ like 50 billion.
Quote by SweetsForLife
Key or gtfo.

Lol....I was just going to ask but I think that was tab bit more effective

If you know the key it would be an infinitely helpful starting point.
I think half-diminished chords sound epic if used within major scale harmony. Something like

Am - B half diminished - C

btw, I just realised that I don't know how to notate half diminished chords. I used to write like, Bdim, but that means B diminished doesnt it? I usually just write the circle with a line through it, but obviously I can't do that here. How is it notated?
circle through the line means half diminished.

I think minor 9 chords sound pretty epic.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Through history, Eb has been considered the "heroic" key signature, in part due to Beethoven's usage in his 3rd symphony (or, the Heroic symphony) and Strauss's Ein Heldenleben (a Hero's life).

I imagine an Eb chord would sound heroic, or "epic"
Quote by Shackman10
Through history, Eb has been considered the "heroic" key signature, in part due to Beethoven's usage in his 3rd symphony (or, the Heroic symphony) and Strauss's Ein Heldenleben (a Hero's life).

I imagine an Eb chord would sound heroic, or "epic"

We use equal temperament. Eb is nothing special.
There is no such thing as an <insert mood here> chord. The only thing that matters is context.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by metal4all

allright, lighten up. i was just asking for any chord extensions that sound dramatic. i know dynamics and everything play the biggest part, but i just wanted some different sounds.
..............................................I have epic fail.........................................

Quote by SweetsForLife
Key or gtfo.

i was just asking for chord extensions that sound cool. you don't need a key for that, lighten the **** up.

by the way, thanks for the people that actually did suggest some chords and shapes

Quote by slashNpage77
by the way, thanks for the people that actually did suggest some chords and shapes

Anyone who suggested anything is wrong. The chord you use is next to irrelevant. Context is all that matters.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Anyone who suggested anything is wrong. The chord you use is next to irrelevant. Context is all that matters.

how is this a matter of right and wrong? i've already said it like three times, and i'll say it again, ALL I WANTED WAS SOME COOL SOUNDING CHORD EXTENSIONS SO LIGHTEN THE FU©K UP!!!!!!!!!

|-X-| e
|-8-| B
|-7-| G
|-6-| D
|-7-| A
|-0-| E
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by slashNpage77
how is this a matter of right and wrong? i've already said it like three times, and i'll say it again, ALL I WANTED WAS SOME COOL SOUNDING CHORD EXTENSIONS SO LIGHTEN THE FU©K UP!!!!!!!!!

Okay, you're really getting annoying with this. You need to calm down first. People who are telling you that dynamics and context account for dramatic effect are doing you more of a favor than people telling you "maj9" or "mM7" and the like. If you take this to heart, you can experiment and see what sounds like what in specific contexts.

Listen to everyone with a valid point, don't just discount opinions because they're not what you want to hear.
Quote by slashNpage77

I'm sorry, it's my fault really. When you said you wanted chords that sound "epic", I just naturally assumed that you were looking for chords that sound "epic". It's this nasty habit I have of assigning definitions to words. If you meant something different, you should have said something different.
Quote by slashNpage77

omgzzz hormonal adolescent rampage, raaaaaar !

Next time be clear about what you want in your first post.
Archeo I have to disagree with you. I do think certain keys (even though this is about chords, I want to elaborate on keys with certain moods) have a certain feel. At the same time, I also agree that the only reason these keys are associated with the feelings that they are is because of the history of Western music, not because they naturally are this way.

C major has been viewed through history, if only because Bach did it like this, as a divine key. It has no sharps or flats, making it "pure" and fit to act as a setting for a religious scene, like St. Matthew's Passion.

Eb is considered heroic maybe only because of Beethoven's 3rd, but even so, influence on Western music and then pop and rock has developed from that to the point where we self consciously and automatically associate the key with heroism.

In the context of a song, though, I agree with you. Intervals and harmonies are more important than the certain notes, and as a composer you shouldn't stick to one chord as a default "epic" chord, but instead look at the sequence that you're creating in a song and determine what note (or chord) would be the best fit to use next.

However, if you were to take one chord out of the blue and label it as "epic," I think it would be the Eb major.
Quote by Archeo Avis
I'm sorry, it's my fault really. When you said you wanted chords that sound "epic", I just naturally assumed that you were looking for chords that sound "epic". It's this nasty habit I have of assigning definitions to words. If you meant something different, you should have said something different.

Now that ^ is epic!
Well played sir

LMAO

Any word on that key yet?
Considering that there are 12 possible roots for any given chord type, the key REALLY does matter. Even moreso than the key is what comes immediately before this "epic" chord. So key(and/or some form of notation of what immediately precedes the chord)........pweez?
Quote by z4twenny
for the 10 millionth time, anything can sound epic, its more about the dynamics of the songs than the chords that are being played.
This is so close to being right that it hurts... in the case of 'epic sounding' it's more about voicing and the open/close pulse that matters, than it is simply the dynamics.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Quote by Archeo Avis

lol, thank you for being mature (yet still sarcastic lol) and ending what could be an idiotic e-feud, i should apologize as well, though, i should have been more clear now that i re-read my original post. i'm sorry to you and anyone else i may have come off as a dick to

Last edited by slashNpage77 at May 31, 2008,
Quote by Shackman10
Archeo I have to disagree with you. I do think certain keys (even though this is about chords, I want to elaborate on keys with certain moods) have a certain feel. At the same time, I also agree that the only reason these keys are associated with the feelings that they are is because of the history of Western music, not because they naturally are this way.

C major has been viewed through history, if only because Bach did it like this, as a divine key. It has no sharps or flats, making it "pure" and fit to act as a setting for a religious scene, like St. Matthew's Passion.

Eb is considered heroic maybe only because of Beethoven's 3rd, but even so, influence on Western music and then pop and rock has developed from that to the point where we self consciously and automatically associate the key with heroism.

In the context of a song, though, I agree with you. Intervals and harmonies are more important than the certain notes, and as a composer you shouldn't stick to one chord as a default "epic" chord, but instead look at the sequence that you're creating in a song and determine what note (or chord) would be the best fit to use next.

However, if you were to take one chord out of the blue and label it as "epic," I think it would be the Eb major.

yeah, i mean, everyone knows Dmin is the saddest key. just listen to 'Lick My Love Pump'

Quote by grampastumpy
Considering that there are 12 possible roots for any given chord type, the key REALLY does matter. Even moreso than the key is what comes immediately before this "epic" chord. So key(and/or some form of notation of what immediately precedes the chord)........pweez?

yeah, sorry about not posting key. but here's what i'm stuck between, the song starts in Dmin, moves to D harmonic minor, next changes to E phrygian, goes to E dorian for a bit in the instrumental section, and back to E phrygian. i'm pretty sure the ending will be in a natural minor key, but the question is whether it'll be in Dmin (to reflect the beginning) or Emin (to carry on from where i just came from). i'm pretty much leaning towards Dmin because i want to add some inflections that kind of reminisce of the acoustic/clean parts in the beginning. again, sorry about not posting key

^how the hell can you be saying your song uses modes if you havent even decided what chords your using? Remember, what mode you use is decided by what chords are playing underneath
Quote by slashNpage77
SHUT THE FUCK UP ARCHEO IS RIGHT AS ALWAYS

What chord you use doesnt mean shit. Damnit, the progression doesnt mean much either. The melody (those notes the singer sings) is what makes a song epic. It takes genious to write an epic song, not some geek asking MT for chords.

Quote by slackman10
stuff
Keys do not have inherit emotions. Actually, music doesnt have any inherit emotions at all, its all just sound waves. If anything, the harmonic and melodic intervals gives a song its emotion.

300 years ago, in a time before equal temperament, every key will be a little out of tune. So each key would sound slightly different. Thats when different keys could portray different emotions.
Last edited by demonofthenight at May 31, 2008,
Quote by ouchies
omgzzz hormonal adolescent rampage, raaaaaar !

Next time be clear about what you want in your first post.

checked and edited (meaning my original post)

Quote by slashNpage77
checked and edited (meaning my original post)
Once again, even the chord extensions wont make a song epic. It's the melody that makes a song epic.

Chord extensions is just something you add to a song for a particular effect or spice.
Quote by demonofthenight
Once again, even the chord extensions wont make a song epic. It's the melody that makes a song epic.

Chord extensions is just something you add to a song for a particular effect or spice.

thats all i'm asking for really, just some sugar for my corn flakes.

Quote by slashNpage77
thats all i'm asking for really, just some sugar for my corn flakes.
Trust me on this. The majority of the bands you listen to either use riffs or plain ole powerchords and maybe the odd triad chord.

Even jazz composers barely use anything other than ninth chords, sixth chords and seventh chords.

Just remember, your song is the melody. The stuff people remember about songs is the melody (whether sung or played on a guitar). Everything else is just to make it sound better. If the melody is shit, your song is shit.

No amount of sugar can make shit taste good.
Quote by demonofthenight

Ok, you're kind of contradicting yourself. What's the "effect" or "spice" that the extensions add? Maybe he wants to give it an epic effect, and he is going to use extensions to do this.

It's entirely YOUR OPINION that "melody makes a song epic." Just because you think that doesn't mean it's right, and you shouldn't be saying it like a definitive fact. Your arrogance and ignorance on the subject would be amusing if it weren't so sad.

P.S. don't give me that crap about how music is "just sound." With that logic, paintings are just colors arranged on a piece of paper, emotions are just chemicals in your body, and when people talk they're just making noise with their mouth. Don't try and sound pseudo-intellectual by saying that, it just makes you seem ignorant.
^If music is not structured sound (a "crap" viewpoint, as you say), then what in holy hell is it?

And don't tell him that he's being arrogant if you're going to turn right around and simply dismiss another viewpoint as "crap". All of the things you said in your second paragraph are actually correct at the simplest level, so all you've done is prove the opposite side right..
Page 1 of 2