I was told to redirect here.
Ok so im in a band now and i plan on singing a few songs. I have a particularly deep voice but i can sing up the scale a bit. But my problem is that there are some notes that i just can't hit no matter how hard i try. And if i sing an octave lower then i have trouble holding good tone, plus its so low that i can barely hear it over everything else. How can i be able to hit the higher notes? If you have any excercises or scales that i could find online then i would like to see them.
Quote by Moose1309
Chop off your balls.

id expect something like this in the pit but here???

-sorry mate, i dont know mch about singing but there is a thread about it.
I'm pretty much in the same boat with you. I'm a rather lowish baritone myself and there are very few songs my voice could actually handle.

How deep of a voice are we talking about here? If you're in the bass range then you're pretty much screwed. There is no place for a voice that low in modern music except maybe for a few backup vocals here and there, so I suggest to just get a new singer. If you're a baritone, get professional singing lessons. As you learn to control your voice better you can also increase your range. It worked wonders for me. I also suggest to down tune your guitars and just write in a lower key.
Write in lower keys work, and train your voice to discover exactly how high you can sing, like now I can tell for sure sure what notes I won't be able to hit, plus some falsetto sounds alright, but not too much right? Play the notes on a keyboard or guitar and warm yourself up before you sing, that usually helps as well.
Listen to The Outlaw torn by Metallica(S&M Version) and if you can reach those then you're fine. If you can't reach the chorus, no biggie. The only thing is with me, changing from my lower voice to over breaking point is really noticable. So I either sing just barely hitting the notes or soundng really weird and high.

EDIT:Vocals Only

Actual Song
Quote by HuckIt
I didn't find it that funny when I saw myself doing him in missionary position...

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was having sex with a female dolphin. In the dream I was like:
"YEEEEEEEAAAARGH I'M SCREWIN' A FEMALE DOLPHIN!!!" and when I woke up I was like:
"... wtf"
Last edited by Wiirdo at May 30, 2008,
Quote by thedefrockednun
id expect something like this in the pit but here???

-sorry mate, i dont know mch about singing but there is a thread about it.

No he's right, it is a valid way to handle this situation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrati
Quote by Lendorav
If you're in the bass range then you're pretty much screwed. There is no place for a voice that low in modern music except maybe for a few backup vocals here and there

Rubbish. If you can make music that suits your voice, then there is a place for a bass range in modern music. Do not let anyone tell you you can't do it because you're a bass singer. However, the singing lessons tip is a good one, you could only benefit from lessons.
Quote by Aramis
Rubbish. If you can make music that suits your voice, then there is a place for a bass range in modern music. Do not let anyone tell you you can't do it because you're a bass singer. However, the singing lessons tip is a good one, you could only benefit from lessons.

Oh snap back to reality, will you? We live in an age of tenor vocalists. All todays modern rock bands have singers with relatively high pitched voices. Low voices just don't attract today's public. It has pretty much been that way since The Beatles. The time of Johnny Cash and Elvis is over and even they were baritones. The only modern rock with a relatively deep voiced singer I can think of right now is RHCP.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. You're just gonna have a hard time breaking through. I'm not being pessimistic, just realistic The first thing you should do is go see a professional singing teacher and hear what he/she has to say.
Quote by Lendorav
I'm pretty much in the same boat with you. I'm a rather lowish baritone myself and there are very few songs my voice could actually handle.

How deep of a voice are we talking about here? If you're in the bass range then you're pretty much screwed. There is no place for a voice that low in modern music except maybe for a few backup vocals here and there, so I suggest to just get a new singer. If you're a baritone, get professional singing lessons. As you learn to control your voice better you can also increase your range. It worked wonders for me. I also suggest to down tune your guitars and just write in a lower key.

I have a naturaly very bassy deep voice, and I seem to manage OK.
As an Ozzy impersonator, quite a lot of what I sing is quite high pitched and I did struggle a bit at first, but as time goes on, your vocal chords adjust to what you're regularly singing and you find it becomes easier and easier to hit higher and higher notes.
I'll probably never be able to hit the high notes like Rob Halford from Judas Priest because that's just an unnaturaly phenominal talent, but I have cirtainly expanded my singing range upwards quite a lot since joining Slack Babbath.
I'd advise anyone wanting to expand the range of their voice in any direction to see a professional singing teacher who will show you exactly how to go through scales in such a way that it exercises your vocal chords and expands your range.
Jim Morrison's a pretty good example of how a low voice can sound great, but I agree that there's not much place in modern rock for anyone who can't get at least reasonably high. (Which is a shame, because I'm only any good in the bass register).

Spending lots of time singing, lessons, and scales are the way to expand your range, as said above. Also do the normal things about taking care of your voice...don't smoke, that'll really reduce your vocal range, don't drink too much booze, and warm up thoroughly.
Two words,
FALSETTO!
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!