Page 1 of 2
Serioulsy, whats the difference of tone from 1 to 10? Comparing an SS to a tube amp. I'm getting a tube in the next year or so, and my bro's gonna be like "wow this thing sucks" if it doesnt sound 10x better than my Spider 2... BTW i'm getting a Traynor YCS50. I need to know right now if people are'nt exagerating about the tone differences. Help.
anything will sound 10x better than your spider, except a different spider.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Depends on which SS amp vs. which tube. I'd take a Line 6 Vetta over a Valveking any day, but I'd take an Orange Thunderverb over a Roland Cube just as fast.

The Traynor's a nice amp, though, it'll absolutely blow your Spider away.
k whew... i really want this to be a fairly long term (3-4 years) investment. Would this be ok? i've been playing for a little over 3 years now. by the time i get it i'll have been playing for 4 years.
Quote by weetadsftw
k whew... i really want this to be a fairly long term (3-4 years) investment. Would this be ok? i've been playing for a little over 3 years now. by the time i get it i'll have been playing for 4 years.

Definitely a worthy investment.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
A better question is why do you care what your brother thinks?
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Your spider will be so embarrassed it will kill itself out of shame.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by SSL27
A better question is why do you care what your brother thinks?

Ditto. If you like the tone, who cares what he thinks?
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
he can be a real (i dunno if i'll get in trouble for saying this -_____-). he has made fun of me and my guitar since before i was a fetus. It gets to me somehow. I'm a (dunno if i can say this either). But pretty soon i'll be a (sigh...u get it...another potty word) with good tone.
It depends on a bunch of factors. Normally a tube amp sounds better. However, a crappy player will sound crappy no matter what kind of amp they play. A good player can sound good thru ALMOST any amp. High end SS amps can sound better than cheapo tube amps. Tubes do not automatically mean a better sound. There are crappy sounding tube amps. SS does not automatically mean crappy sound. There are good sounding SS amps.

Forget what your brother thinks! Take what everyone here thinks with a grain of salt! Go and try out amps for yourself, and use your ears to make a choice. Don't buy something because of what kind of parts it has in it. The sound coming out is whats important.

If its a amp that works with a mouse running in a wheel and it sounds good, then get it!!
Quote by shmuck71
It depends on a bunch of factors. Normally a tube amp sounds better. However, a crappy player will sound crappy no matter what kind of amp they play. A good player can sound good thru ALMOST any amp. High end SS amps can sound better than cheapo tube amps. Tubes do not automatically mean a better sound. There are crappy sounding tube amps. SS does not automatically mean crappy sound. There are good sounding SS amps.

Forget what your brother thinks! Take what everyone here thinks with a grain of salt! Go and try out amps for yourself, and use your ears to make a choice. Don't buy something because of what kind of parts it has in it. The sound coming out is whats important.

If its a amp that works with a mouse running in a wheel and it sounds good, then get it!!

you've inspired me. a silent tear rolled down my face while reading this post.
Quote by shmuck71

That would be sweet.... I'd call him Spike...

I wonder if Tung-Sol makes replacement mice though....
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
lmao imo
solid state = 3
tube = 10

solid state just doesn't have that nice low end crunch (depending on amp) but even then tubes are just so much warmer, you'd just have to play.. solid state are just so empty and quiet..
The secret tone comes from the mouse crap that piles up!!

The best part is replacement mice can be found everywhere!!

ENOUGH TALK OF THE MICE....jeuss......
although that would be HILAROIUS...

Imagine this:
your amp dies
you open your amp
a single dying mouse lies on the bottom of one of your tubes
lets take a trip to petco.
my brother's the same way, he thinks everything is a waste of money and i'm wasting my life away on a piece of wood with some strings on it. he bothers me about my **** all the time but i dont give a ****. you shouldn't let what other people think about you or what you do. its what you do who makes you...you. if you like the tone that comes out of whatever amp you choose to get, then that's all that matters, because it's going to be your amp, and your tone, not his. he probably ****s with you just for the hell of it, my brother does the same thing and so do all my friends, nobody can take me seriously. you shouldn't let it get to you. just think of what they like to do. thats what i do. when a pot head makes remarks about what i do, i think "he's a druggie, he gets high for fun." or if they're video game fanatics or whatever. if they dont take you seriously, don't take them seriously.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Last edited by ugmung at May 30, 2008,
and dude everything sounds better then a spider..
if your bro doesn't play guitar then he's gonna' be tone deafly most likely, meaning he won't really be able to tell which is better and say you wasted your cash.

only people that actually play guitar understand..

(glad my dad's a musician!)
Quote by TechnicolorType
and dude everything sounds better then a spider..
if your bro doesn't play guitar then he's gonna' be tone deafly most likely, meaning he won't really be able to tell which is better and say you wasted your cash.

only people that actually play guitar understand..

(glad my dad's a musician!)

thats exactly why my parents offer me no money at all when i'm tryin to buy something... i gotta work for every cent....
its not so much there's a difference in tone between SS and tube..

i mean EVERY amp will sound different.. regardless of its circuitry.. but SS and tube are like defining factors of how an amp will behave when cranked.

meaning.. good or bad.

btw.. you'll ****ing love that YCS 50!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
its not so much there's a difference in tone between SS and tube..

i mean EVERY amp will sound different.. regardless of its circuitry.. but SS and tube are like defining factors of how an amp will behave when cranked.

meaning.. good or bad.

btw.. you'll ****ing love that YCS 50!

god...now i'm so freakin excited for that thing...it'll be a lil while before i can afford it though...!!!
the difference is night and day when you crank it. Even at bedroom levels you will hear the difference. I have an ss and 2 tubes. I've played them next to eachother. The SS sounds so sterile on the clean channel and the distortion so fizzy and awful.
Good choice too. I've heard nothing but good things about Traynor tube amps. Haven't gotten to play one, sadly.
ss sounds so much better than tube that I don't even know where to begin. SS amps are lighter, have more effects, have a nicer clean tone as well as a better distortion tone and they are cheaper too. A lot cheaper. Its a wonder to me that most A-list guitarists use tube amps and not solid state. When will they learn, those schmucks....
Quote by afrika18
ss sounds so much better than tube that I don't even know where to begin. SS amps are lighter, have more effects, have a nicer clean tone as well as a better distortion tone and they are cheaper too. A lot cheaper. Its a wonder to me that most A-list guitarists use tube amps and not solid state. When will they learn, those schmucks....

I hope you were being sarcastic. Go play a Fender Twin Reverb next to a Spider and tell me which one has better cleans... k?
Quote by weetadsftw
thats exactly why my parents offer me no money at all when i'm tryin to buy something... i gotta work for every cent....

It used to be exactly the same around my house, and my family's pretty well off to be honest. Until they came to one of my bands gigs and heard how awesome my friends amp sounded compared to my crappy MG. Then they helped me out somewhat lol.
Quote by maggot2011
I hope you were being sarcastic. Go play a Fender Twin Reverb next to a Spider and tell me which one has better cleans... k?

funny you mention those two amps. I own both. In a tone contest between the spider's best clean channel and the best settings on the Fender twin with Eric Johnson as the judge.....I put my money on the spider and don't look back. That's how freaking good it sounds. Stevie Ray Vaughn should have played through a spider man....
Quote by afrika18
funny you mention those two amps. I own both. In a tone contest between the spider's best clean channel and the best settings on the Fender twin with Eric Johnson as the judge.....I put my money on the spider and don't look back. That's how freaking good it sounds. Stevie Ray Vaughn should have played through a spider man....

Christ, I hope you're trolling.

Or deaf.
Quote by afrika18

that right there
is almost worthy
of a ban...
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Last edited by acdclandon at May 31, 2008,
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Christ, I hope you're trolling.

Or deaf.

We have ourselves... a troll! Away from the bridge everyone!
Tube pwns... even though I own a SS .
Quote by afrika18

Have daddy hire EJ to do a tone test for you. Have EJ look straight into the camera and say "The spider beats the twin in tone."
Actually record it, and post it here.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Done. My dad just got off the phone with Eric and he's agreed to do the test. I'll have it posted by 8pm tomorrow.
I'll be waiting.

*taps foot*

Maybe in the meantime you can hire Clapton to break in the speakers before the test.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at May 31, 2008,
Quote by darkarbiter7
I'll be waiting.

*taps foot*

Maybe in the meantime you can hire Clapton to break in the speakers before the test.

So while we wait, how's that Blues Box doing? The TUBE one that you own with the AMAZING cleans.
Quote by maggot2011
So while we wait, how's that Blues Box doing? The TUBE one that you own with the AMAZING cleans.

Oh, pretty good. I got some JJ 6L6's in it to make it more fendery (the stock sovtek kt66's were holding back the tone).
Maybe once I get some more cash, i'll experiment with more tubes, but the JJ's in it are much better than the sovteks.
Other than that, it's doin real good. I found the harmonic boost to be incredibly useful, and I want to get the amp modded so it's footswitchable so I can switch it on stage.

Anyways...
I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing this video!

Maybe daddy could hire Peter Jackson to film it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by darkarbiter7
Oh, pretty good. I got some JJ 6L6's in it to make it more fendery (the stock sovtek kt66's were holding back the tone).
Maybe once I get some more cash, i'll experiment with more tubes, but the JJ's in it are much better than the sovteks.
Other than that, it's doin real good. I found the harmonic boost to be incredibly useful, and I want to get the amp modded so it's footswitchable so I can switch it on stage.

No footswitchable? Sadness indeed. But great to hear . Gotten new speakers yet? (btw I think we're about to hijack this thread... eh)
Eh, I just decided to live with the speakers for now. Luckily, the fabric softener/acetone tricks helped smooth out the high end a bit too.
If I had to, I could just get a cab switcher and a good speaker cab if I wanted more low end for rhythm or whatnot.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Eh, I just decided to live with the speakers for now. Luckily, the fabric softener/acetone tricks helped smooth out the high end a bit too.
If I had to, I could just get a cab switcher and a good speaker cab if I wanted more low end for rhythm or whatnot.

Sounds good. Acetone trick? I must know!
you know if you really got eric johnson to do this
he would just say its all up too what you think sounds best
he would most likely say the twin reverb sounds better, but if you think the spider sounds better than use it
but still twin reverb just rapes the spider lol
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Where are all the people who have to tell us that the tone is in our fingers? Alright! That makes me inb4!
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Unless he plays guitar I doubt he'd notice one being better than the other, in fact, he would probably believe the spider sounds better due to it's number of different avaliable tones, effects, and the amount of gain it has.

In the end at least you know your traynor is going to sound better, and thats all that matters.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Page 1 of 2