Could somebody explain to me the difference and purposes between and for 3pdt, dpdt, and spst SWITCHES? I know that 3pdt is triple pole double throw, dpdt is double pole double throw, and spst is single pole single throw. I DON'T know what the differences are and what the purposes are between them and their variants (dpst, etc.). Are some better than others for certain things?

Thanks.

(edited)
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at May 30, 2008,
the middle terminals are common

if you know what a SPDT, or toggle switch is, than a DPDT is two of those in a row and a 3PDT is Three.

SPST is an on-off switch.

by the way pots are potentiometers, you were confusing them with switchs.

3pdt is used to diassosiate the LED from the normal effect circut
you can bypass a circut without a LED with a DPST
SPDT is used for boosts or as a replacement for SPST(leave one terminal open.
Last edited by joseph997605 at May 30, 2008,
Ah ok, thanks. I knew pots were potentiometers, I just didn't realize I was talking about switches haha. I guess I thought pots were classified as DPDT, instead of switches. Then again, I didn't really know a lot about the subject to begin with.

About the switches then...What kind of switches are used to switch pickups? Or are these only switches referred to in pedals? Obviously, I am getting two or three things confused here. Thanks for the info.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

the pot in the middle is the only pot with a swich and the other two are normal pots.

the switch is a DPDT
you need a 3 way or a 5 way depending on how many pickups you have
you can also use the push/pull to series/parallel wire it! how cool!
Yeah, I'm gonna have 2 humbuckers, and the push/pull is for a coil split for the middle position.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile